Dark Souls 3

Clones

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the lack of poise is starting to eat away at my enjoyment of pvp. there's literally nothing but hope latency is in your favor so you can actually land the parries or dodge roll til you can't anymore. ganking has been the most fun i've had with the game and that's only because of friends. i don't see ganking as a good long term strategy for playing this game

specifically in watchdogs though? My first attempt started off at 25/+2, got fed up with claymore not killing everything, bumped up to like 32 for black knight gs and went from an invasion every 10-15 minutes to almost nothing.

Ive mostly been culling aldritch faithfuls as an invader. Lone wolfing as a white summons is fun here to, theres definitely a race war going on between the reds and AFs, both sides are easy to manipulate.

yeah, i literally get invaded in a given playthru at least 4 times per map, minimum. That's assuming I'm trying to get thru and finish and not wait around to murder ppl

even high wall at the start lol ppl are bloodthirsty

it makes no sense tho I dont get why so many watchdogs show up, I NEVER get summoned as a watchdog. I've been summoned as Aldritch Faithful only a few times as well, most times I just stick to dropping my sign

the lack of poise is starting to eat away at my enjoyment of pvp. there's literally nothing but hope latency is in your favor so you can actually land the parries or dodge roll til you can't anymore. ganking has been the most fun i've had with the game and that's only because of friends. i don't see ganking as a good long term strategy for playing this game

speaking from experience ganking is def a good long term strategy hahahahaha literally the best one for me

i have no issue with poise how it works atm, frankly the game's just different from before so it is what it is, the stuff that worked before doesnt always work now

just gotta keep that in mind and treat it as a new game and it works out fine, at least thats what i do especially when i start getting angry about how the stuff i like to use isnt that strong

bscly i just tell myself this is what u signed up for stop sulking lol

if u wanna gank fools steve just let me know, if my name is showing ds3 on psn and u need a ghost ill drop whatever im doing to beat ppl up

thats bscly always my favorite thing to do

i'll let you know. my play has slowed down a bit.

and i don't think i'm necessarily comparing this game to any other. it's been a long time since i've played souls. its just irritating from a build perspective when a lot of things just get destroyed by just a couple builds. the diversity isn't really there. quality is king in both capability and weapon selection as in the weapons they can make use of just end up being better than what other builds can run. i really do miss being able to run a normal strength character with some pyro. probably the most fun i've had, but i guess i'll have to make the sacrifice and work with what we got. a ton of spells aren't worth using so it's not like it'll take long to figure that out.

not to mention curved swords just straight blow. like wtf happened. straight swords are too good.

Edited by Rachis

Ya I don't have issues with poise being how it is now at all. I still get to embarrass dudes with parries. When it comes to enjoying the game, I find that I have the most fun either ganking or invading. If duels seem to be getting stale for you, try out invading.

not to mention curved swords just straight blow. like wtf happened. straight swords are too good.

Which curved swords we talking about? shit like scimitar/falchion? It's not like those weapons weren't used much before anyway. I remember Mike running falchion a lot on his bean pie guy, but other than him I really don't remember seeing those much. I ran painted guardian in ds1 a few too, but not as much as other weapons. I haven't used much of normal curved swords in this game though so can't comment much. I certainly haven't seen them being used much. I do plan to use them more often on my quality build. I'm particularly looking at carthus, sellsword twinblades and crescent sword. My quality build rocks the turban anyway, so at least it'll go with the outfit.

If you meant curved swords as a whole, Katanas are still strong. Mura is strong. exile greatsword is strong.

i think he meant curved sword (the class), so not curved greatsword or katana class

he's mostly right from what i can tell they curved swords as a class aren't strong its mostly weapons within it that are good (dancer swords for ex)

it's like greatsword class where its just not very good anymore but has a few outliers (twin princes for ex)

magic falchion was def a thing in demons and in ds1 we at least had quaalag spider bitch whatever face sword. there is no standout curved sword in this game that really competes with other tiered weapons. katanas are katanas. curved greatswords are curved greatswords. i wasn't talking about those.

carthus seems to be ok, but honestly it, scimitar, and falchion are interchangeable for the most part. pontiff at least has a neat weapon art. the others are just bad. you can't just make a straight dex build with them because quality is king.

i like the duals because i will always prefer 1v1's. its just the armored core player in me. that's where you really run into issues with what beats what. of course you can run whatever you like in ganks and invasions because you're generally dealing with people who aren't as committed to you as they are to what they were originally doing and lets be honest..ganking is just not fair in this franchise. parry is your way out and that's not incredibly reliable..at least for me. maybe i suck at parrying and always will, but that's what i have to deal with.

when you're in those 1v1's where both dudes are really trying to wreck face though...it's an uphill battle for anything that's not considered OP by the community. which really is a lot because the community is a bunch of dumb people who think strong means op, but i digress.

weapon wise, the game is becoming more and more of a let down. all the quality stuff works. profaned greatsword and hollowslayer are a couple of my absolute favorite weapons in the game. i don't get the same feeling with curved greatswords as i did before. i think they're slower with less range. mura retains its range, but its damage is not comparable to exile. a couple halberds are cool, but they made a couple big moveset changes to the black knight glaive which makes it not so good to me even though ironically it's probably the strongest one thanks to it's 2hr2 starter combo and space control. i know a part of it is because dead angling changed so that's on me.

i've tried a few things that seemed really cool on paper, but ended up just being complete busts due to inefficient stat requirements, piss poor damage, unreliable weapon arts/movesets or some combination of the 3. the biggest example is def the dragonslayer swordspear. i thought for sure i was going to love that thing, but i absolutely hate the build and the weapon art. that weapon is not nearly as good as the internet claims it is.

Edited by Rachis

honestly to me there seems to be a lot of diversity so far at the top

katana class is mostly all good to great with washing pole being god tier, straight swords are same boat, a couple great axes are wild powerful (dragonslayer greataxe, bkga, and yhorm in particular), most of the ugs are top tier, thrusting swords are almost all obnoxiously strong, the great clubs aren't that bad, halberds are as good as usual in general

greatswords, curved swords, daggers, maces, spears, and axes are the classes that got the shaft to some degree or another, mainly cuz riposte and backstab damage from daggers is not very good now and rapiers are so insanely strong now

reapers, whips, and magic have generally been bad so it is what it is but at least pyro is rly easy to use (just takes a big point investment) so there's that

i'll give that there's a lot that is good, but it's nothing i want to use so for me the diversity feels shit. the only top weapons i do like are yhorms and profaned. i've never liked katanas.

great clubs are easily outshined by great axes.

all those weapons you stated got the shaft were pretty much all my shit. would explain my struggle. the hollowslayer greatsword makes for a fantastic quality weapon, but i pretty much just use it as a giant rapier with leo ring.

forgot to mention, i did start a pyro the other day to see if i can get something going with chaos curved sword and spear with a couple space control spells. hopefully it works. if not i'll be lost on magic because the only other thing i could really see me using is force, but i already have a poor mans version of it with yhorms on the str character.

Edited by Rachis

all those weapons you stated got the shaft were pretty much all my shit. would explain my struggle.

trust me bro im right there with u

this game has not been kind to us

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/12/article-2655395-1EAB290F00000578-364_634x496.jpg

Irithyll Dungeon is pretty much Tower of Latria, and parts Lothric Castle reminds me a lot of the interesting parts from 1-3 and 1-4 from demon's Souls. These are very strong areas and definitely some of my favorites. I don't know what that gamespot reviewer was going on about the game getting weaker towards the end. Maybe he was talking about the very end though and I'm not quite there yet.

Yeah, the later bosses are way better. When it comes to levels, I'll prob say the same too. Dungeon and profaned capital are cool. So is valley, that place is dope. My only complaint, which is not a huge compaint, is that theres so many bonfires in castle. It's like you clear a room and a hallway and there's another bonfire haha.

Beginning levels arent that great imo save for undead settlement. Fuck cathedral.

Everybody hating on Cathedral; I love that place.

So far my favorite levels in this order would probably be:

Undead Settlement

Lothric Castle

Irithyll Dungeon/Profaned Capital

Cathedral of the Deep

Road of Sacrifices and Farron Keep aren't that great though. I'm not a huge fan of Catacombs either. It's only alright.

Well yeah. I agree. I thought it was alright on my first play through. Once you do it enough times though you realize how annoying it is.

I think Cathedral is the only map in the game where I feel like I would be ok with it if it wasn't in the game.

I really don't get what's so annoying about it though tbh. It is big, so I can see it being annoying if you're trying to blitz through the game.

But from a strictly artistic and design perspective, it's one of my favorites. I love the architecture on the inside, traversing around the flying buttresses on the outside, walking along the rafters and jumping down into what's her faces room, the creepy vibe of the cemetery with undead that give you worms, as well as the setting sun and the moon that creates, etc. The only thing bad about that area is its boss fight.

After just now playing through archives and archdragon peak, I'd probably change my list to this:

Archdragon Peak

Grand Archives/Lothric Castle (I view these two as one, because they mix together quite nicely.)

Undead Settlement

Irithyll Dungeon/Profaned Capital

Cathedral of the Deep

It's weird in a way, but I get the feeling that I'm actually playing a Demon's Souls successor when I walk around Archdragon Peak. Something about its layout and design as well as its separation from the rest of the world makes me think of Demon's Souls and world 4. I really dig the architecture of Archdargon Peak, makes me think like I'm situated in a high Himalayan Buddhist stupa in Nepal or something. I'm ready to go start my pilgrimage around Mount Kailash already to become a dragonboy.

Edited by YUNG EASY PETE

Yea I didn't realize staying up in Nameless' grill wasn't a good idea until the latest time I beat him, but otherwise Peak is my least favourite if only cause it has the most framerate drops for me, as well as castle wall/early Lothric and Farron Keep. Basically anything that doesn't run as smooth as it should blows in an unfortunate way. Irithyll is definitely my favourite area, though I don't really care for one quarter of Anor Londo outside of it being a novelty area.

My first playthrough can be summed up with "Does Not Open From This Side: the Game." Seriously every fkn door

After just beating the final boss I finally have my 1st playthrough deathcount.

Cemetery of Ash: 0

Iudex Gundyr: 0

Firelink Shrine: 3

High wall of Lothric: 3

Vordt of the Boreal Valley: 1

Undead Settlement: 5

Curse-Rotted Greatwood: 0

Road of Sacrifices: 1

Crystal Sage: 0

Cathedral of the Deep: 3

Deacons of the Deep: 1

Farron Keep: 1

Abyss Watchers: 0

Catacombs of Carthus: 1

High Lord Wolnir: 0

Smoldering Lake: 7

Old Demon King: 0

Irithyll of the Boreal Valley: 0

Pontiff Sulyvahn: 1

Anor Londo: 0

Aldrich, Devourer of Gods: 3

Irithyll Dungeon: 1

Profaned Capital: 0

Yhorm the Giant: 1

Dancer of the Boreal Valley: 0

Lothric Castle: 4

Dragonslayer Armor: 1

Consumed King's Garden: 0

Oceiros, the Consumed King: 0

Untended Grave: 0

Champion Gundyr: 0

Grand Archives: 1

Lothric Twin Princes: 2

Archdragon Peak: 0

Ancient Wyvern: 0

Nameless King: 1

Soul of Cinder: 3

Total: 44

I think the numbers mirror my thoughts on the hardest bosses and areas in the game. I think Smoldering Lake has the toughest enemies you can encounter for your current progression in the game, and you can get ganged up on pretty easily. Sadly, I think its boss is one of the weakest in the game. Lothric Castle and Archives are perhaps 2nd hardest in difficulty in my opinion, as all of the knights are very strong. The bosses for the most part I didn't have too much troubles with, but I definitely feel like Sulyvahn, Aldrich, Nameless King, Twin Princes, and Soul of Cinder are the hardest ones. Nameless king might be the hardest if you enter Peak at a lower level-- sadly I did mine end game, so I already had a maxed out weapon and estus. I had a hard time figuring out Aldrich's homing arrows, but Soul of Cinder was a straight up honest fight, and gave me problems with his vast moveset and staggered timing on many of his attacks. For me, he was the hardest. Wolnir or Deacons might be easiest.

Edited by YUNG EASY PETE