Armored Core 5 Discussion

Lenin

Got to love how perspective works though eh?

In FA, a QB would shoot you a city block.

It seems a charge boost here only gets you 1 building across. Should be easier for the engine to track, and thus the online lag should be less bad. In AC4/FA, they used the ACs actual height and speed in their physics engines, which I believe were based on Unreal. It broke a lot of stuff.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed doing the perspective that way keeps the lockbox in the center of the screen as well instead of the other way around. It'll be interesting for movement, but tracking should be a bit more intuitive than it used to be.

Ehh, if it helps to see in front of you then I see no problem with it. There's got to be a reason just about every TPS has been doing it. Besides, it could alleviate the whole "look up see nothing but your AC" problem.

I think it is fine, your reticule is still in the center and it makes things easier to see I know none of us liked looking up and just getting an ass shot of our AC...

This was posted on 4chan.

New Info from Famitsunet that wasn't on the livestream a few days ago: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201105/16043680.html

There are 11 categories for parts, with a total of more than 500 parts featured in the game.

• - Head:
    Contains the FCS, allows the use of scan mode, and affects properties such as lock on ability and scan distance.

- Core:
    Contains the cockpit and is connected to all of the other parts that make up the AC.

- Arms:
    Manipulators which control and carry all kinds of weapons. Each arm can hold one weapon, and the shoulders can carry weapons as well (shoulder unit). The shoulder unit has 3 types, not equipped/single shoulder/dual shoulder. (Does not seem to mention Weapon Arms. They may not exist anymore.)

- Legs:
    Determines the mobility and carrying capacity. How your AC moves around greatly depends on this part. They are separated into 2 legged (light, medium, heavy), reverse joint, quad and tank categories. So, nothing changed there.

- Core Parts:
    The FCS, which determines the lock distance and speed, boosters which are related to mobility, small-type reconnaissance machines (recon unit), and the generator which provides energy to the machine.

- Arm Unit L/R:
    All kinds of hand-held weapons, like guns and canons. Many weapon types from the previous series has had their abilities and names changed, as well as new types are in the game.

- Shoulder Unit:
    Equipped onto the hard point on the shoulder. Missiles and Rocket Launchers are divided into the standard, automatic attack and support types.

- Hangar Unit L/R:
    An arm unit which hangs off the sholders. This allows you to change your weapons when needed, and allows the player to have 4 arm units at any one time.

- The damage attributes of the weapons have been separated into 3 types! Unlike the previous series, where there was only the "physical" and "energy" damage types, we now have KE (Kinetic Energy, weapons that use bullets and is related to physical impact of these bullets), CE (Chemical Energy, weapons which utilise chemical reactions to create energy, utilises chemical cartridges. Possible a fancy way of saying "explosives") and TE (Thermal Energy, weapons which use optical science to create heat energy. EN damage, basically.)

- Autocannon:
    A machine cannon composed of many barrels. Can instantly turn enemies to dust with its high fire rate. Cannon-type weapons have a stabilising motion, and the screen will change to first person view. While in this motion they cannot move. Tank-type legs can move while as there is no stabilising motion. (Only tanks? So quads lost their cannon mobility? WTF FROM, why do you hate quads so much? This has potentially killed the game for me.)

- The rail cannon uses magnetic force to accelerate a projectile. Since it is a cannon type, there is a stabilising motion when used. The energy used to fire the shot can be charged, which changes the damage and range of the weapon.

- Battle Rifle:
    The bazooka has had a name change to battle rifle. Uses CE ammo. Damage decreases with distance, so is best used as a mid-range weapon. (I think there may heve been a transation problem here, because the whole bazooka thing makes no sense. Why call the bazooka a rifle? It's not anything remotely resembling a rifle.)

- Missile:
    Missiles have been relocated as shoulder units. Auto-tracking, forward moving and vertical types exist, along with a variety of special movements.

- Rocket:
    Rockets have been relocated to the shoulder units. Are hard to use as they cannot lock on, but has an explosion effect when it hits something. Contains the ability to fire many shots at once.

- Glide Boost ⇒ Boost Charge:
    A Glide Boost allows the player to quickly close distance, and with that speed is able to unleash a powerful Boost Charge. The Glide Boost can only be used when landed, and is similar to Overed Boost from the previous games. However, this can be used in all directions. The charge is an attack that's dependent on weight and speed of the attacking AC (either a kick or a tackle)

- Hi-Boost ⇒ Jump ⇒ Boost Drive
    Hi-Boosting is a short distance acceleration, used for speedy maneuvers and is similar to Quick Boost from the previous series. Boost Drive is the ability to bound off of a wall after jumping onto it, resulting in a triangle-like motion. Can be used repeatedly. Used other than a technique to gain height, can immediately be changed to a forward leap to allow for tricky movements. After evading an enemy's attack with the hi-boost and jumping, then using the boost drive to jump off a building to get above and attack the enemy. By combining actions together like this, it opens a world of techniques which can be used.

- Drift
    When landing, you can choose to glide along the ground. Can also turn the machine while doing so. The same principle as drifting with a car. (Not entirely clear what this means)

- Stabilised Shooting (First Person Shooting)
    When utilising cannon type weapons, the mech will need to be stabilised. The camera will then change to first person view. While in this position, the mech cannot move, but allows for precision firing. If possible, the leg armor will unfold to provide extra defense.

- Hangar Shift (Weapon Shift)
    In the previous series, the only way to change arm weapons was to purge the already equipped part. Now you can put weapons onto the shoulder and regularly change between weapons, allowing many ways to attack.

- Purge
    Purges the weapon. Purging away weapons that you no longer need reduces the weight of your machine and increases its speed.

To recap from last week's ACV Live Event, for those of us who missed the previous thread:

-Garage follows the same style as the previous AC series, but with a full screen free-viewer, can view certain actions in the viewer (walking, boosting, weapon changing)
    -Shoulder weapons are either single or dual shouldered, which implies that you won't be able to equip 2 different shoulder weapons
    -Boosting is now a toggle command instead of a held-down command. (booster on/off instead of holding down for on and releasing for off)
    -Jumping has its dedicated button
    -Shoulder missiles won't fire unless there's an enemy around, though this might just be limited to the equipped shoulder missile in the demo
    -The player can switch between battle and scan modes. While in scan mode, the player cannot attack, but gains the ability to detect and view information on enemies within the scan range. The player can also drop recon pods which detect enemies within a certain radius, which then shows up as an outline on the player's screen, even through buildings. There is no radar in the game.
    -Hi-Boost, Glide Boost (called Flight Boost in the live show) and Drive Boost were introduced.
    -In the HUD, the left number in the circle is the AP, right number is the remaining energy in %, and the top left and right quarters of the ring the ammo count, the number appears when the weapon is in use.
    -In the multiplayer segment, it was confirmed that a team can have up to 20 players, with 5 playing a single match at any one time (4 pilots and 1 operator). Of course, it is possible to have single player teams.
    -The role of the Operator was introduced. Prior to the mission, the operator can brief the team on attack routes and a mission plan with coloured, numbered markers. During the mission, the operator can place markers on the map (whether the players can see these is unknown at the moment, they probably can), view the camera from each of the allied players, as well as enemy players in range of your scan. Teammates in scan mode show a radius on the map for the operator which allows the operator to see incoming enemies, dropped recon pods also have this effect, although the pods time out after a while. The operator can also use a large-area scan with a cooldown anywhere on the map.
    -The multiplayer is friendly to weak as well as strong players as you can develop strategies which utilise the weak player as a decoy or have them snipe targets while the stronger players on the team fight the enemy.
    -The strongest team from a region will represent the region on the multiplayer world map, providing a competitive environment.
    -Overed Weapons are confirmed to be in the game, but different from the initial AC5 teaser movie to include more teamwork aspects.
    -The game will have a special edition which includes a special ACV headset, the game is stated for an October release date.
    -The game will soon have a closed beta test consisting of 5000 teams of 2 (10 000 players total) in order to stress test the server, improve the latency between players, quickly test game balance and to improve communication with the community. It is unknown whether this closed beta will be limited to Japan, but it was brought up as a joke in the live show that the developers wanted to turn the game into an "international war," which implies the game will come out overseas.

Edited by Griffon

- The rail cannon uses magnetic force to accelerate a projectile. Since it

is a cannon type, there is a stabilising motion when used. The energy used to

fire the shot can be charged, which changes the damage and range of the

weapon.

I miss PITONE. Rail guns don't need to charge anyway.

- Battle Rifle:The bazooka has had a name change to battle rifle.

Uses CE ammo. Damage decreases with distance, so is best used as a mid-range

weapon. (I think there may heve been a transation problem here, because the

whole bazooka thing makes no sense. Why call the bazooka a rifle? It's not

anything remotely resembling a rifle.)

AC Bazookas have always been rifles. A bazooka is basically a rocket

launcher, but AC already has rockets. What makes no sense is an explosive weapon

that loses damage with range. Only KE and TE weapons should do that.

- DriftWhen landing, you can choose to glide along the ground. Can also turn

the machine while doing so. The same principle as drifting with a car. (Not

entirely clear what this means)

Probably means you can change the direction that you're looking without

changing the direction you move in.

-Boosting is now a toggle command instead of a held-down command. (booster

on/off instead of holding down for on and releasing for off)-Jumping has its

dedicated button-Shoulder missiles won't fire unless there's an enemy

around, though this might just be limited to the equipped shoulder missile in

the demo

I will complain about boost controls if I'm in the Beta. Where did you get

that idea about missiles? Auto fire is only one class.

-In the HUD, the left number in the circle is the AP, right number is the

remaining energy in %, and the top left and right quarters of the ring the ammo

count, the number appears when the weapon is in use.

I will also complain about the HUD

-In the multiplayer segment, it was confirmed that a team can have up

to 20 players, with 5 playing a single match at any one time (4 pilots and 1

operator). Of course, it is possible to have single player teams.

So there will be more than one ACU team.

Edited by Exorcet

AC Bazookas have always been rifles. A bazooka is basically a rocket

launcher, but AC already has rockets. What makes no sense is an explosive weapon

that loses damage with range. Only KE and TE weapons should do that.

Yeah that's silly, unless they mean just the direct damage of a shell. Then it would make sense. The explosive damage of the explosion shouldn't be going down at all.

Probably means you can change the direction that you're looking without

changing the direction you move in.

I was guessing they just meant sliding through a turn on your feet so you don't have to cut booster or anything.

HAHAHAHA I WAS RIGHT TE IS THERMAL AND KE IS KINETIC! I was talking to Niji2 about that and I was like, this is so what those numbers mean! I had no idea what CE was, though. It's good to be right. Btw, Howitzers are Kinetic. I have been translating the Howitzer stats from that screenshot of the stats screen and almost have it all down. Renketu0 has helped me out with it too.

I'm surprised they posted so much stuff that they didn't talk about in the show really. The show had so much filler chatter, haha. Like I said in chat, the chemical weapons are all probably made in 3rd world countries, so they're really leaky. By the time the get to the opponent they'll have leaked all their fuel and be as useful as BB Gun ammo. Werd.

=o

Griffon, thanks much for all this info. I had no idea famitsu had released something like this. Haha. I'm gonna have to add it to the summary topic and remove the entire speculation section since confirmed will be so huge.

I'm still pretty happy with ACV. Though I am unhappy that there are no hovers.

- Hangar Unit L/R:

An arm unit which hangs off the sholders. This allows you to change your weapons when needed, and allows the player to have 4 arm units at any one time.

Overweight Lightweight choice droppers here i come.

20 people team limit means we'll probably have to make multiple ACU teams eventually. Either way, we can establish a core team or good players at least. If we have all our teams take territory in the same region the weaker ACU teams will be protected by the stronger ACU teams, which should keep the weaker teams territory safer. It auto-aggros the strongest team in a region, after all.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO That's a great idea Griff!

Btw, I posted that stuff you found on ACO with credits to you and stuff. I wasn't sure if you'd mind, but I figured you wouldn't. If you do mind I will just have to make it up to you somehow. Maybe I can hire a bunch of strippers to come to your house or something.

So, actual cannon type weapons are going to be handheld and interchangeable with hangers? So we can make a tank/quad (hopefully) with four cannons? I'm gonna abuse the shit out of that.

I'm liking the new jump and boost mechanics. Seems like a better way to dodge fire then the old twitch dodging mechanics of the PS2 era and QB. This is what AC4 should've been.

EDIT: Good shit Griffon.

Edited by Redrum

I think chainsaw is still in, they just reworked them to "require more teamwork" or whatever. It probably means they slaughtered the cooldown or something wacky like that. I honestly don't what they're gonna do with the OWs. I'm really worried they're gonna make some dumbass long-range OW. I wouldn't mind a Super Titan Missile OW. That would be pretty funny. Maybe we could watch you blow up TM on youtube with those, too.

Yeah I mean I can't say I have much of a thought on OW since it sounds potentially game-changing and I can imagine a million different scenarios, both good and bad, for how they could be implemented into a game...so basically I'm gonna just hope for 08-deus and that's that.

• - Arm Unit L/R:
    All kinds of hand-held weapons, like guns and canons. Many weapon types from the previous series has had their abilities and names changed, as well as new types are in the game.

- Hangar Unit L/R:

Right there PD. Plus, in one of the ACV trailers, I distinctly remember seeing a tank dual wielding two quad-barrelled rifles/cannons. It fits the description of the Autocannon.

Oh, I see what you're saying now. Wow, did you notice cannons aren't listed as shoulder weapons anymore?

- Shoulder Unit:

Equipped onto the hard point on the shoulder. Missiles and Rocket Launchers are divided into the standard, automatic attack and support types.

- Hangar Unit L/R:

Sounds like all cannons are handheld, now. Which means anyone could carry 4 cannons now, in theory, although tanks are the only doods moving with them. And quads got moving with cannons removed? Hahaha talk about a troll job! I wonder if quads get more defense when stabilized or something cuz they have more legs for shields, or something else.