Armored Core 5 Discussion

Lenin

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a helicopter or tank hits you with their missiles and shots, how much damage does it do? I sorta feel like they should do at least as much damage as an AC's weak junk short range missile or battle rifle. Or instead of a tank shooting those giant explosive rounds they could have made them shoot smaller shots equal to a weak junk handgun or something. I feel bad for the tanks and helicopters that can barely scratch you, lol.

Also, have there ever been fighter jets in AC games? Because I feel like they could be somewhat effective with high-speed fly-bys.

Also, have you seen the blades on those big helicopters? They spin so that the blades pass between each other. Pretty crazy, and I feel that they should damage you if you touch them.

Edited by Mushinronja

From what I remember, it just seems like a regular battle rifle hitting you, but without its faster rate of fire as an AC weapon. As for your question, they're just around the strength of a junk part afaik; low(est) tier in general.

In any case, weapon damage varies significantly, which depends on your ACs defense. I've been hit with a x2 fully charged Karasawa (10k per shot; 4 shots available per rifle) with a 4k TE-def AC - only suffered about 3k damage. Then kneeling made it worse; 200 damage. I then tried the usual KE-CE frame (about 400-600 TE def) and received around 10k with ONE shot.

Oh, and there were fighter jets during pre-AC4 games, although they're wrongly portrayed imo. For some reason it felt like a bunch of low-end aircraft that they just felt like aggressor units than actual enemies (except that they 'die for real'). I haven't seen any jet in AC like a Raptor, something that should've made short work of ACs, assuming they're portrayed as such IRL.

Edited by Red Shirt (Grayscale)

Yea, I understand that defenses are a big factor, though the 200 is a pretty startling statistic. Was it a shot from the front? Because I figure that kneeling wouldn't help if you get attacked from the back or sides.

And it's good to know that the fodder enemies can do some damage at least, lol.

And idk if jets would make "short work" of AC's, but they would be difficult to deal with at the very least.

Edited by Mushinronja

Yea, I understand that defenses are a big factor, though the 200 is a pretty starling one. Was it a shot from the front? Because I figure that kneeling wouldn't help if you get attacked from the back or sides.

Yeah it was from the front, so they can still be counterattack when flanked. Not a good thing to face head-on in chokepoints though. Also, I'm not sure if parry blades nullify its humongous damage reduction; I was stabbed by a CE parry blade in a free match with a friend at my AC's effective damage reduction angle while kneeling. I still suffered a shitload of AP, but couldn't remember if the damage had been cut.

The usual low AP warning/alarm from teh old school games made me wonder htf it really works.

Edited by Red Shirt (Grayscale)

Isn't the Heat Pile pretty much a one hit kill weapon? I'm guessing that you bringing up the shield plus your CE defensive states were all it took to stop it from killing you in one blow.

Makes having an OW make a little more sense, despite how impractical they are I could see myself learning to use them compared to the parry blades of old.

Also, have you seen the blades on those big helicopters? They spin so that the blades pass between each other. Pretty crazy, and I feel that they should damage you if you touch them.

I've seen a similar design before, probably with some old school rotary craft, just can't seem to find a good picture of one. Also, considering the design of modern rotary wings, I doubt an armored vehicle will take substantial damage from them, more than likely that would be considered a weak point that would normally bring the bastard down with a good kick to the rotor itself.

Yea, I can see the helicopter stopping entirely if a mech landed in the blades. Though I feel like the mech would get stuck and be caught in the explosion...

And Pile Bunkers aren't necessarily one hit kill, like with the Demo Pile Bunker against the tank it takes two hits (though if you dual wield, they will 1 shot). They are much stronger than the other melee weps prolly to make up for the ammo count.

And idk if jets would make "short work" of AC's, but they would be difficult to deal with at the very least.

They could possibly. if portrayed accurately then jets in AC shouldn't actually be too different than in CoD. Hear a warning from your operator, and you've got a couple seconds to find cover or risk taking some pretty heavy damage. Managing to shoot one down should be, as you said, difficult if not next to impossible.

Something like an AC-130 could really manage to spice up a mission. :P

You can see big planes flying over some mission areas but they never do anything right? They would make for some cool enemies if they flew over and rained bombs and bullets down at ya.

And while Jets are fast, AC's can be pretty quick too. They could use a CIWS to stop incoming missiles and a Pulse Machinegun would prolly work well as a sort of AA Gun (shots spread out then explode, would be pretty good if they got close enough).

The thing is that a jet could target an AC from a far further distance than ACs can engage their targets. Attack aircraft can use anti-tank missiles from a few miles away, and given how vertically challenged ACV's ACs are, they would have no way to counter something flying a few thousand feet above them.

The problem is AA guns and SAMs are specialized. ACs have never had ultra long-range attacks other than sniper rifles/cannons and railguns, and the missiles have never been very good at distanced combat. Something flying at, say, 15,000 feet would be immune to counterattack from an AC.

Granted, this is taking realism into account, which is fairly pointless. If we do see jets again, they'll most likely be the way they were in AC3/SL, flying at about the speed of a low-power overboost and making predictable gun/missile runs. Although it would be nice if they were like the jets in AC1, those had a nasty tendency to fly past you at high speeds and spam their high knockback machine gun.

ACs are fantasy weapons, I somewhat doubt the practicality of an oversized rifle, whether it will realisticly fire a round across the map or explode in your mechanical hands is a mystery. Unless someone actually did the math for that. I would be interested.

If you want to talk in terms of realism. Realisticly the ACs never really performed at the level they are really capable of in game.

With ACV I wonder if the basic boost is functioning at a realistic level, compared to how tiny the cars are and thinking how fast they would move down a road, it's really a decent equation that I don't feel like figuring out right now.

And Mr. Crazy I just looked up Crispin Freeman's Albedo. Yeah he would have done an amazing job, but that sample of the guy who's playing him isn't enough for me to say he's really all that bad.

The voices sound pretty similar but I do see a major difference in the quality. That being said I can only say I'm okay with this voice actor till I hear him some more.

Freeman would have been way more fitting though.

Well an AC could avoid long-range attacks with counterfire or by taking cover, so they could escape an attack. And if AA guns and SAMs are dangerous to a jet at all, then an AC with machinguns and missiles would be too.

AC's have no reliable way of detecting aircraft. The radar range is too short (and with their small size, it's probably going to stay that way). They also don't have RWR's and haven't since AC2 and/or 3. I guess there is the operator, but in real situation the operator wouldn't have magic sight that allows for the pinpointing of everything as soon as is convinient.

AA guns aren't actually much of a threat by themselves. They have poor range and can't actually hit much unless the attack plane comes at them, and those planes are usually designed to take some of that damage. AC's would probably be fired upon with standoff weapons that can reach much farther than the longest range AC sniping weapons and might go undetected until relatively close. Large SAM's are larger than AC's at this point, so AC's aren't going to be carrying them around.

Also, if AC's have lasers and what not, planes could too. The YAL-1 can shoot down ICBM's from hunderds of miles away. Something similar could basically imitate the orbital cannon from Silent Line.

That thread is sort of different, being about if Armored Cores were the real world. But In this I think we are talking about ACs in game against Jets in the real world. Now if you say lasers from ACs can be put on a jet, long range missiles and radar systems can be put on an AC.

How big is an AC anyways? Wikipedia says an F-22 Raptor is 18 feet tall and 62 feet long, and an Apache helicopter is 12 feet tall and 52 feet long. An M1 Abrams tank is about 8 feet high and 32 feet long.

A tank AC made from demo parts seem to be around 3 times taller than enemy tanks and maybe twice as long. This would make a Tank AC pretty big if enemy tanks meet M1 Abrams tank specs (which I have no idea if it does). A Biped would be taller. If it can be put on an F-22, it can be put on a AC. Probably. With the size of an AC they stil move as fast as they do, easily fast enough to take cover from a missile. Also if an AC was outfitted with missile counter guns then it wouldn't need to dodge and could fire back.

EDIT: Hmm, so an AC in V is only about 16 ft tall... tough to believe... tougher to believe that Raptors are so freakin huge.

Edited by Mushinronja