Mortal Kombat Rebirth

Gay Uncle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmvxjnwbMPI

Please let this be as good as the trailer is enticing. While an apparent shift to more real-life may a little hard to swallow, so long as they do not make a complete mockery of the franchise I will be happy. I pray that they do not over-do the underworld/badass characters play.

It's also awesome to finally have a movie based on Scorpion, arguably one of my favourite characters ever conceived in the entire universe. I spent the first 5 minutes thinking that the guy at the other end of the table was Shang Tsung or Kano, but when I saw the assassination, I creamed in my pants.

I am ridiculously excited about this film. Just the other day I was thinking about how much I want to see a decent Mortal Kombat reboot.

All I need now is a reboot of the Crow, minus terribly shitty acting and plot (ala City of Angels and Salvation)

Edited by Vivirtruvian

Reptile is going to give me nightmares.

In fact, that condition freaks me out so much that unless I induce a significant amount of sperm turnover (possible, if this movie is as good as I want), my children are likely to be traumatised also.

Why does Reptile only eat heads? That's silly. There's plenty tastier meat on the rest of the body.

I also find Baraka's backstory to be pretty funny. Where is a doctor suddenly gonna get mortal kombat fighting skills?

And it's too bad Cage is already dead. He was my least favorite character, and wanted to see him die in a better way.

The head actually has some of the tastiest meat. It's true for a good number of mammals and I bet it's true for humans too.

I didn't like that Baraka wasn't bald and that Johnny Cage didn't do any splits and that Sonya Blade wasn't Sienna Miller.

Speculate on why Sub-Zero looks like a robot!

http://i46.tinypic.com/27xj8ug.jpg

EDIT: Oh, and it's not a trailer; it's a short film. It's basically the director saying "Hey, look what I can do. Let me make this film."

Interview with the director.

Edited by Gary the Tennis Coach

Thank god Johnny Cage starts dead. I never did like the guy.

Well, we don't know that for certain. We also (thankfully) don't know Baraka will look like that in the final cut, since he looks pretty goddamn retarded there. Since this is just a concept, they might've killed him off just to demonstrate what they had in mind for fight scenes.

Of course, you're not going to see this guy complain if Johnny Cage gets axed right off the start.

I suppose my only other issue is his statement that "Scorpion is a bad guy and will stay a bad guy". In none of the games is Scorpion really a bad guy, he's usually cast as a wild card. He's the sort of guy who will fuck anyone up if he has to, but that's the appeal of his character. It's also a much better angle for the main character in a movie like this, because it makes him unpredictable.

Still, using Scorpion as the main character was a pretty fucking cool idea.

"Like Raiden's not going to be an electrician with lasers on his forearm or anything like that." - Kevin Tancharoen

Yeah, Seven of Nine is gonna be on this movie, if it comes out. The fact I'll get to see my favorite character Sub-Zero makes it even better. Maybe miniature ice maker on his forearm?

Id like to see that. It be interesting. I just saw the lil short film and i gotta say if its made its gonna rock pretty hard IMO ;) I hope they do make it *Crosses fingers*

I can't wait to see Mokap win the tournament!

I'm also terrified of what Goro/Hintaro/Motaro/Sheeva will look like.

And... I'm sad Noob died in the short film by Scorpion.

Edited by Obscure

After watching this, I can imagine how they would incorporate Kabal.

Kabal is an underground drug lord confined to a wheelchair and respirator after a gruesome gang shooting. He is the only remaining survivor of his crew. The man responsible for ordering the shooting is thought to be Shang Tsung, but rumor around the city has it that someone higher in rank may be pulling the strings. Kabal has since dedicated his time planning his revenge, he is now unrecognizable to all who attempted to end his life and he bides his time underneath a downtown nightclub in Deacon City.

The respirator assisting his breathing is custom made just for him, aside from making him look cool, Kabal can set it so he can inhale various drugs concocted primarily by himself. It is common knowledge among the downtown scene that he often inhales his own special brand of marijuana through the respirator, but there is rumor that he inhales other more mysterious drugs. Little is known about these drugs other then they are said to give him remarkable abilities and can temporarily nullify his physical ailments. He is a well respected man in Deacon City's underground, as he is the city's primary dealer. He has many men watching his back.

He is also known to be a proficient fighter with his walking cane, another weapon he had custom made for himself. It doubles as a blade when unsheathed.

Jacks(Jax) and Sonya pick up a trail on Kabals true identity and set out to find answers. He just may be one of their most powerful allies...

Thank you, im glad you enjoyed it. The pot reference was to give the film some angsty attitude, to give young movie-goers something to nudge their friends about. Silly I know, but effective. The crippling of Kabal is one of those wild stretches I'd expect from a movie like this, something to put the fans off for a while, but when it comes to the moment where he breathes in those fumes and gets out of his wheelchair, the audience will be on the edge of their seat. Imagine this.....

Kabal is sitting alone in his room, when suddenly an imposing stranger walks through the door. Kabal sitting in his wheelchair slowly looks up at this man, he knows exactly what this is about. Kabal casually switches a dial on his oxygen tank, then proceeds to tip his head back and take a deep breath of his special concoction. In comes the music, slowly building up to a climax as Kabal effortlessly raises himself from his seat. He cracks his knuckles, grabs hold of his cane, and quickly rips the sheath off revealing the sharpened blade beneath. He readies his stance, demonstrates a few lethal moves and beckons forth his opponent... Kabal seems faster than normal, almost too fast...

I also have a few lines planned out for Reptile. His character is actually very pained, he has a lot built up inside himself, as you can probably imagine after seeing the tragic state of being he is in. He may have even been a good guy, he just got dealt the wrong cards in life. "They hate me, they think I'm scary!" may be said during his monologue, expressing the torment and rage within. The vague usage of the word "they" reveals his feelings of the whole world pointing a finger at him, as the monster they see him as. It could actually be a very emotional moment as he spills his guts out (or before his guts are spilled!) before his demise, holding much semblance to the story of the "Elephant Man".

Edited by Nomrah

To be honest, the trailer makes me think of it as "Mortal Kombat: The Later Years". Former MK badass's trying hard to live day to day in modern society. Don't take my anology too literally, thats just how I feel when comparing the characters from the games to the characters in this trailer. I do not mind how Jax, Sonya or Johnny Cage are presented, I think they work perfectly. My main problems are with Reptile and Baraka, I find the trailers interpretation of these characters extrodinarily goofy and silly. I'll leave the rest of the trailers revealed characters out of this as I feel I'd have to see more of them first.

I found the use of the rare medical condition Harlequin Ichthyosis for the basis of Reptiles character to be silly and quite a stretch. It's depressing to think of Reptile as a mere mortal with a severely debilitating skin condition, thats far from the Reptile I remember. I can imagine that the director must feel pretty clever in using the disease to fit the characters appearance, it works well at first glance, but beyond that it loses me. Who knows though, they may surprise me by saying Reptile only used the disease as a smokescreen to hide his true otherworldly origins, I guess that would help change my opinion on their portrayal of Reptile.

I found Baraka to be the worst thing about the trailer, unbelievably silly. When I first watched the trailer I thought it had to be a joke. To me it came off as an extremely childish attempt to exaggerate real world matters just to fit a character as outlandish as Baraka. The end result of their brainstorming session should have been scrapped the moment it was conceived if they truly cared about the character, although the sad reality is that they most likely believe it does Baraka some justice. For now I wont go into detail about my problems with the trailers Baraka, most, if not all of them should be obvious.

These are all just my opinions, I understand others may see things differently, or may wonder why I would care so much as to write this. Currently I take the original Mortal Kombat movie much more seriously than Mortal Kombat Rebirth. The original movie didn't make stupid excuses from what I remember, it had flaws, but it had nothing to hide. Mortal Kombat Rebirth so far appears to try way too hard, I feel it cut its own throat by trying to adapt MK into a real world environment. It's at an awkward state between cutting its ties with the surreal setting of the games and striving to work things out into a believable real world setting.

Edited by Nomrah

I think I preferred when Reptile wasn't evil. Kind've a huge character flip for the movie.

Shao Kahn will be played by Obama.

I... Wait, when was Reptile ever not-evil?

He worked for Shao Khan up til MK3, he worked for Shinnok after that and I forget what he did in MK5 because it was so gay. I know he was dead in MK6 because he was used for Onaga's body, though.