Battlefield Bad Company 2

Mom

This game has been refined to a tee from the very first battle field bad company for ps3/xbox360. The developers have reworked some key balancing issues in online play, and the destruction engine has been overhauled greatly.

Game informer magazine has given this game an astonishing 9.5 out of 10, and I think this game could fully compete with Modern Warfare 2 given enough good publicity. It offers a lot of great stuff that Modern Warfare 2 doesn't.

-huuuge maps

-more tactical team paly

-more macro oriented gameply (vehicles, bases)

-DESTRUCTION

-more realistic sniping and shooting mechanics; momentum

The lag hasn't been too bad at all on the demo. I've only had a couple cases where people just wouldn't drop fast enough-- reminded me of Modern Warfare. Speaking of Modern Warfare, the game developers made a core change to the health mechanic in this game. It seems as though everybody gets less health now, so you can kill and be killed a lot faster. You also get health regeneration, although it's much more slower than Modern Warfare. If you get shot and almost died, you have to stay out of fire for a good 20 seconds before your health is good again.

As far as balance, I havn't seen too many things that stick out as ultimately overpowering in the game. Unlike Modern Warfare, sniping and camping is very hard to pull off in this game (due to realistic ballistics, killcam and complete destruction of the environment.) You also can't ride any kill-streak bonuses to victory like in Modern Warfare.

Tanks and choppers aren't overpowered at all, plenty of deadly ways to bring their days to an end, just like Bad Company 1. I do question the decision to give the engineer class both an smg and rpg, the assault class only has an assault rifle and no more syringe to instantly heal. I find myself using engineer the most by far, with assault basically getting no use.

Edited by TMRaven

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most snipers have always killed in one hit, but you just have to hit their heads. It used to be the barret took out 95% of health for a body shot in BFBC1.

I've yet to snipe much in this demo, so I guess I should try to see if I can get ohkos with body shots given the lower health. Sniping's so hard to pull off in this game though, I give the people who wanna snipe credit-- but at the same time I hate them, because a team with too much snipers usually gets dominated.

It doesn't hve a killcam per say, but a little 3rd person view of ther person who killed you and what they're doing after they've killed you. It lasts for about 5 seconds and gives their stats (hp left, weapon and so forth.)

My gripes from my brief experience with the demo:

What the fuck, four man squads. This shit was a hassle in the first one, we'd get a four man unit, and then our fifth, sixth and sometimes even our seventh man would be auto-thrown on the opposite team. Sure it made for some decent competition, but if DICE wants my respect as a developer they need to really step up their game. If they start pulling the same stupid bullshit they did in patching BFBC1 and BF2, I will be fucking pissed, to say the least.

Also, not noticed this yet, but if the mics cut out midgame and dont come back, or if the frame rate drops dramatically for the entire length of the game, I will be ragequitting and snapping the disc (if I buy it) in half.

Other than that, typical BF fair, lots of vehicle camping. And I'll anticipate TKing for vehicles and/or arty as well.

It is impossible to kill your teammates in BFBC2. Also, I dunno how much you've played BFBC1 but, the spawning system is already atrocious. It's already bad when you kill someone on the opposite team, and right as they die, the other three members of their squad spawn right next to them only to kill you. It'd be way worse if they allowed more than 4 people to a squad.

The spawning on teammate was a major push/pull thing in BFBC1. The better teams always had people penetrating deep into the opponents' bases and trying to stay there as long as possible by avoiding combat and allowing a free spawn point for their teammates. It would be really bad if DICE allowed for upwards of 4 to 5 people spawning on their own teammates, as the amount of flanking possibilities would become too great and most likely disrupt the balance of the game.

Edited by TMRaven

That's the entire point of having squads in the first place, to have a mobile spawn point, in the case of your base being camped out you can get a person out, have people spawn on him and launch something of a counter offensive. And yeah, I am familiar with the spawning for BC1, and I do agree, it was ridiculous. But that dynamic has been present since the computer games. Spawn camping and shitty spawning in general is nothing new to BC, DICE just does it in every game. The lack of friendly fire is heartening in that you can't be TK'd for the vehicles though. I guess that's a step in the right direction.

Well after some playing with assault class some more, I'll say that it's not totally worthless. While the ak may be, the XM8 is really good. It's faster firing, more damaging AND more accurate at longer range than the smgs. So good show for that.

I played around with some sniping and I loved it. You can kill in one hit, you just have to aim above them so the bullet drops down onto their head by the time it reaches them.

The spotting mechanic is really good for snipers too. If you have your crosshairs near an enemy, just press select and it'll notify your whole team that the enemy is there. (It'll put a small red triangle over his head and on the radar for a short while.) Any class can do this, but snipers usually have a greater vantage than other classes.

Edited by TMRaven

If the sniping mechanic seem to work like you say they do then I will have to pick this up when it comes out. I've always been a fan of the Battlefield series, especially bad company. If they can work on the team spawning mechanic (mobile spawn point) then it would be a major improvement from the first game.

EDIT: How did I not see this topic when I scrolled through the games forum? Anyways, finally got around to downloading this.

Sniping is easier than Owen says it is. It's tough at first but after a couple of games I was pulling off cross-map headshots. A cheap (but effective) thing to do as a sniper is to just constantly hit select to tag people as you parse the landscape. It'll reveal people you might not otherwise see (like if they're behind a tree or something) plus spotting is just an effective way to win rounds. I spent nearly an entire game as UAV just tagging people and launching hellfires at vehicles/gun emplacements. I didn't get many kills but I got a ton of assist points and helped my team win.

That's one thing I really like about this game; it makes it so you actually care about winning the match instead of just getting a bunch of kills. I also dig the nemesis thing where if the same guy kills you over and over it tags him as your nemesis.

Medic's a dope class. That LMG is killer for base rushing. I don't like when they revive me after some sniper popped me in the head though because then the guy usually does it again.

Edited by Amanda Bynes

Depends on who's getting shot. I've seen cats sit completely still after I shot from base to base.

I've unlocked everything but the XM8 now and I'm really digging the game. It's really balanced right now (though we'll see how that changes when all of the weapons become available) and there are a lot of nice touches.

I like how if you stab someone you get a pair of dogtags with their PSN on it. I've got 10 of em around my neck now. Got five of them in about 30 seconds when I snuck up behind some guys who were trying to take the long way around to the M-COM station.

My SCAR-L is monstrous at this game. And I do work with the XM8. Didn't know about spotting, though. I'll have to look into that this weekend.

I'm a flanker, by the way. It's what I do. No matter the game, I'm your backdoor lover.

Scar-L is godly. The Engineer's rifles just rape. Speaking of Engineers, all you need is one squad running two Engy's, one Assault and maybe a Medic (if you've got the fourth man, though I prefer Recon for the C4) and you can pretty much stop an armored attack dead in its tracks. As long as you've got one man alive you can hold down a position pretty well. I like planting C4 on tanks and then running off only to have them panic and get cap'd by my squadmates as they jump out. Then, we got free tankz. The wreckage too, if positioned correctly makes for an awesome, if temporary piece of cover.

I dig playing as medic. The SAW is great for holding down points/rushing into buildings spraying and it's a lot of fun to see three of your squadmates die then revive them all and kill the guy that killed them.

I want to say that assault is the weakest class but I'm judging that without having unlocked the XM8 so I won't make that commitment. The 40mm is good for taking out campers but I just think the other classes' gadgets are more useful. Ammo refill is kind of useful but once again I just think it's outshined by other things.

When I unlocked the XM8, I found the assault class to be really strong. The assault rifles now outdamage the smgs in cqc-- something they never did in BFBC1, and they also are very powerful at range with burst fire. Only 1 or 2 bursts will drop somebody.

I find assault to not be very good on the defensive though, as defenders usually have to contend with destroying lots of vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

List if things I currently feel need to be tweaked a bit:

apache respawn time needs to go up.

mounted mgs should have no zoom feature, and their bullet spread should be greater at longer range.

attackers' tickets shouldn't be fully replenished upon taking a base. I've had instances where as a defensive team, we've gotten the attackers down to 5 or so tickets, then when they destroy the last com station of a base, their tickets fully replenish to the max amount of 75.

The anti-aircraft gun is really bad. It needs to have its properties from bfbc1 (fragmentation proximity blasts and no burst fire)

Balancing factors I like:

good call on knife swings taking a while to finish animating. they had a really quick animation in the first bfbc, and knife kills were extremely easy-- especially considering higher amount of health to juggernaut your way through someone's fire to knife them. I even did that in one of my uploaded bfbc1 vids on youtube.

uav replacing the howitzer is way less annoying and way less bothersome as a defender.

assault rifles are way better than smgs, of course.

yay on regenerating health. now it's possible to get decent kdrs.

snipers don't seem so pointless now, with c4 and spotting. although air strikes in bfbc1 were really good, tho easy to dodge.

destroying a com station is an easy alternative for an attacking team where the defenders are madly guarding and respawning on it .

Edited by TMRaven

The M-com stations have a sweet-spot that does intense amounts of damage relative to just hitting it with an RPG or tank round from the side. Aim for the small console in the very middle of the station, you will do a larger amount of damage per RPG/explosive.

Another easy to bull doze through a base is to simply destroy the buildings housing the stations if those buildings are collapsible. Knock out the walls, building falls, any defenders inside along with the M-com station are destroyed.

It's either a lot of very slight lag or weaker assault rifles in general, but the xm8 just isn't killing as fast as the demo for me. Often I see health percentages of about 4-6% health left from the dude I was shooting up. I can attest for a bit more lag though, sometimes it's annoying, but it's nothing too major.

Aside from an apparent nerf of the xm8, they also made spotting way harder.

M16 and M4 appear to be the best assault rifles for their virtual absence of recoil.

Snipers are still easy to get 1-shot kills with; and, given the amount of vegetation in the maps and the ability for snipers to swap with other weapons and/or put acogs on their rifles, you'll see a lot of gillie suits running around. Nothing's more satisfying than flanking a camp spot for snipers and killing their stubborn asses as they attempt to keep going back to it though.

ASDFGHJKL;

This is madness. I dislike the camera being fixed to me after I snipe someone. It makes it very hard to camp pinch points because I have to relocate every kill. I preferred how it was in the first one where it zoomed in so far from where ever you died.

Though, the bullet drop is pretty boss.