Ethos Makes a Portfolio!

Ethos

Ok, so some people have wondered what I've been up to. I've known a lot of you guys for a while, but for those that don't know me, I like to draw. I hope to get a job as an illustrator, so I figured I'd start in comics and go from there. For the past year or so I've been trying to get a job in comics. Due to my work schedule, and getting out of work late, I haven't been able to make a lot of progress. So I had an idea. In a portofolio, it's advised that you don't include original characters, as some companies might take your ideas and such.

Anywho, I'm starting this topic as a way for those who are interested to see my progress, and also to get ideas as to what I should draw. So far, I've started on drawing baiken from Guilty Gear:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/soulrefrain/baiken.jpg

Any thoughts on who I should draw? keep in mind that comic book companies like seeing sequential art more (like comic book pages), than full page illlustrations like the one above. So yeah, I'm taking suggestions. It would make my job easier since I won't have to decide on what I'm doing.

You should practice making long hair look less like epic paper. Try Sesshomaru (spelling, Inuyasha's bro is who I mean).

Then you may want to practice characters of various ages and muscle definition. Try some Street Street Characters for that.

Edited by Vincent210

Nah, I know what you mean. The hair coming off the back of the head is all sharp angles and stuff. I think it looks really cool, though. As a side-note. I just finished watching all 190 some episodes of Inuyasha just last night.

lol. As long as you get where I'm coming from with the hair. Not trying to bash anything. Just needs to be less angled up so and it can be more like hair. Thinner outlines might help too. ON the hair anyway, I kind of like the effect they have elsewhere.

So, like you want a re-imagine a page, basically? Pretty great since I started reading comics like mad again!

I'll get back to you on this. I gotta find some good pages.

Well sort of. What they look for is sequential art. I can either find a comic book script and draw what the script is telling me, or take a pre-existing page and re-do it. Cool tho man, much appreciated.

You should practice making long hair look less like epic paper. Try Sesshomaru (spelling, Inuyasha's bro is who I mean).

Then you may want to practice characters of various ages and muscle definition. Try some Street Street Characters for that.

The whole epic paper effect is cause of the intentional flatness of the image. The style is my homage to art nouveau as well as japanese printmaking. It was a style choice mainly to reflect the character's origin (baiken being a japanese samurai type character). When it comes to the hair, anime characters tend to have sharp angles in their hair, and baiken always had spiky type hair. If I made it more rounded, I felt it would've not really represented the character at all.

I definitely agree with characters of various ages and muscle definition. Given that this is going to be a comic book portfolio, I'm going to be expected to draw comic book characters which are known to be musclebound characters. Do keep in mind that this is only 1 entry in the whole portfolio, and I'm going to be using many different styles, to show that I'm capable of different things.

Nice use of lines.

I love thick outlines.

Thanks man, I dig thick outlines too haha.

Jose is like the most legit artist on this board, haha. He got his degree already and everything.

So I'm reading Danger Girl (deluxe addition) and I was wondering if maybe you can try a page from that? The panelling is pretty trippy and the character art is standardish for comic books except he does do a few interesting and different things. You'll prolly notice right away if you look. Just about any page will be worth trying with how much action is happening all the time.

Also if you wanna try something really different, look into All-Star Superman. Best comic I've ever read, and the art style is a lot different than what you normally see in DC/Marvel stuff. Frank Quitely has a really interesting style, and he's unbelievably talented. Jamie Grant's coloring in it is equally brilliant.

I was also thinking if you want to go with quintessential comic book art, why not get some Jim Lee stuff to study? They don't get much buffer than his doods. I think my favorite stuff by him is in Superman: For Tomorrow. There's a real good page really early on of Superman floating down from the ceiling of a cathedral. I think trying to draw that out from a script would be intense.

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/image/Superman_02.jpg

EDIT: Basically draw either Superman or hot women. That's all I'm really trying to say, here.

:o

Edited by Penguin Deus

Word. Mucha's the man. He's one of my inspirations.

As for the suggestions, good call on Danger Girl. I think I have a few issues lying around here somewhere. I'd definitely like to do some of that stuff. I don't think I'll do as good of a job as J. Scott Campbell, but w/e. It's all about the practice anyway. As for superman, sure I'll give it a try. I was never a fan of superman, but making a portfolio is not about drawing only characters you like. I did, however, like the art of that superman book we spoke about on aim.

Anywho, time to get started. I work better at night, cause it's all quiet and no distractions haha.

AIM was prolly All-Star Superman huh?

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110325100546/marvel_dc/images/4/49/Superman_All-Star_Superman_020.jpg

That comic is as good as any story I have ever read. You should read it, even if you aren't a Superman fan. I honestly don't think I can say enough good things about it.

EDIT: Oh and we're still boys even if you don't like the big blue boy scout. Still though you're a punk.

Edited by Penguin Deus

It comes recommended so I'll probably give it a chance. I don't like turning things down without giving them a fair chance. I liked superman in kingdom come, and while I know that was a drastic change to how superman probably is, it wouldn't hurt to try.

Right now I'm looking over some pages I'm thinking of doing. Found this Danger Girl sequence.

It's the one where that mad scientist injects Falcon with Serum X and starts freaking out while Sydney and Johnny watch. I feel like I'll have fun drawing that scientist's face and the boils in Falcon's body.

That first danger girl issue has a couple of good pages too. I'm looking over stuff I can probably draw right now. I do have a Jim Lee book during his run in x-men that I can probably work with. The shit is probably vintage, but whatever.

Kingdom Come Superman is as about as legit a Superman as any. It's pretty in-character, to the point that it was canon for awhile after it was written. It's a fairly good representation of him. Superman at his best and most iconic is the All-Star one, though.

I think if you wanna see good art of a woman, Frank Cho is worth looking into as well. His Shanna the She-Devil is fantastic. His work has a great sense of movement and really gives a lot of energy to the scenes.

John Romita Jr. is pretty dope, as well. If I remember right he did Kick-Ass, and I know he did World War Hulk. I'm not a particularly big fan of the guy, but he's popular, well-known, and his style is good even if it's not my cup of tea.

I'm still reading Danger Girl so I haven't seen that scene yet!

That scene is pretty early in the series, so I'm not spoiling too much.

I know of John Romita Jr. iirc he also did some work in uh Ka-Zar or whatever his name is. I agree with you though, I'm not a necessarily a fan. Frank Cho is pretty awesome from what I hear. I'll check him out sometime.

Anyway, back to work!

thanks man. I'll check em out when I get home. Unfortunately, I'm at work. The work comp blocks everything and it would be difficult to check them out on my phone.

Anywho, once I get a chance, i'll upload the sketch for the first page I'm working on. I'll put a spoiler tag for those that don't wanna know about what's gonna happen in danger girl haha.

Sorry man, I thought that it was relatively early. It was like issue 5 or something. I didn't know that Danger Girl was so short, I never actually finished it.

In my defense tho, it was on the spoiler tags haha. My bad tho son.

Sorry man, I thought that it was relatively early. It was like issue 5 or something. I didn't know that Danger Girl was so short, I never actually finished it.

It's like 7 chapters, total. What a gay.

Just like John.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/05/31/jo...ive-comics-881/

Thought you might enjoy this.