SSF4AE: Buff/Nerf Discussion

exogen

here is a link to a thread on a SF forum about buffs and nerfs for SSF4AE. for those of you that play SF, what do you think about your characters changes?

http://www.capcom-unity.com/street_fighter...Nerfs_and_Buffs

for my character,

I'm having mixed opinions about M.Bison's changes. the main thing I don't like is how they nerfed his S.HK and his hit box change to his c.lk is just stupid. both of those things are BnB setup normals. adding more pushback to his scissors kick can be a good thing against characters like Gief but not sure how this is good for his pressure cause he can't lock down as much which makes me think he is at more of a disadvantage. If anything though I know for sure, this AE is going to fully separate the bison scrubs from the real players because new players to mid level depend largely on his pressure lk's and such and on his ultra especially being a QCF command and now with it being a charge many will be dropping bison I'm sure. at the level I'm at I don't use his pressure as much in the repenative fashion. I really think they should increase the range of LK SK if they are going to increase the pushback because it only makes sense, but w/e. AE is going to be made intentionally imbalanced to w/e.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't spam use the blanka ball anyways, so I'm fine with the changes to him. I used to use amazon river slide like crazy, but not much anymore.

Other than that, some of the major things I liked from things that really got on my nerves in SSF4 have been fixed for the most part, such as e honda's overall damage output, boxer being able to spam jab basically right after a headbutt, and not very punishable/easily to keep on pressure with dictator's light kick.

the slide being nerfed is kind of eh, because it all depends on your range so I liken it to bison's slide which is unsafe from close to mid-close. if your tight on your spacing and good with your pokes and zoning you should never really miss. I don't know if blanka's slide is cancelable like dic's slide but if it was that would be good. the ball, yeah is only good in combos anyway and only noobs spam the roll anyways.

agree with Honda's damage output, the shit was out of control and way out of wack with everyone else.

I think dic should have a slight damage increase though for nerfing his pressure because he already can get randomed out, and his mind games, which depend entirely on his pressure and ability lock down being nerfed leaves him with an uphill battle, which he already had anyway given his shitty damage output. like I said before, I like the fact that now he is really a char that is not open to anyone without any skill because his pressure, what litle exists takes crazy skill due to his poor output and propensity to get randomed out by random bullshit, but damn they gave him nothing in return, which is why he is only listed as a B character now. so he is good but not great. I always thought he was high mid to mid in SSF4 compared to mid to low in Sf4, but now I think he is probably lower then they currently rank him. he just has no real tools to win the damage race and hence is forced to outplay you to win.

In regards to rog i think they are trying to make him less spamable, same with cammy. this overall is a good thing.

If you ask me SF4 series is not at all the best Sf ever but it's decent. if they focused less of defense and made the game less random then it would be better but they did that because they wanted to bring in new players/scrubs.

El Fuerte:

Nerfs

-Ultra Spark damage reduced from 500 to 450, start up increased 1 frame.

-Tortilla (Habanero Back Dash + Hard Kick) All invincibility removed.

-All Guacamole leg throws have increased recovery

Buffs

- Far standing and Crouching Light punch have been sped up by 1 frame, excellent priority maintained.

- Crouching Light Punch can chain to itself up to 4 times, still can cancel to Habanero Dashes

- Sudden Stop is now 1 frame instead of 3 frames.

- Close Fierce Punch range has been improved

Unconfirmed

-Certain normals seem to have better priority

-Supposedly it can interrupt some uppercuts like it could in SF4 (it was removed in Super)

Overall

Certain bad matchups may be worse now due to having Guacamole recovery worsened (It's one of his limited escape options)

Likewise having a better jab makes escaping pressure easier.

Bison's LK scissors change is fine. it allows Fuerte to not get completely locked because of his previously crappy normals. Bison can still mix in Psycho Crusher after LK Scissors pressure as any smart bison is already charging after any Scissors.

Edited by Densuo

There were a surprising amount of unlisted changes for Ibuki. I'm not going to list them either, but I'd say that she's gone through a pretty wide range of small buffs/nerfs. I'd say that overall Ibuki has actually gotten a bit weaker. I'd say that in SSF4 she was at the higher end of the mid-tier range, but in SSF4AE I'd say she's much closer to flat out mid-tier. I wouldn't say that she's hit the lower end of mid-tier, though.

I'm also actually happy with the changes. She's lost the last few bits of her scrub-ability. Kunai cross-up was about the safest and most stable and easy thing you could do with Ibuki to win in SSF4 and a HUGE portion of Ibukis, like 75% of them, did just that. All you gotta do is watch some ranked replays and all you'll see is an endless kunai cross-up. YouTube vids are typically of the better Ibukis. Capcom nerfed the shit outta the generic cross-up, though. Now the kunai does less damage, the neck breaker does less damage, and the neckbreakers positioning after landing is different. It's noticeable on SSF4AE Ranked. They don't know what the fuck they're doing.

I am happy. Less scrubby is never a bad thing. She'll never win a tournament, though.

yeah hakan usually gets fucked D:

his oil buff is really super ultra good though. it makes him a lot better than peopel give him credit for, since he is crazy good with oil on. one of the reasons why he was so low tier was because of how limited oil was for how risky it was to oil up (and how much he sucks without oil). he still has above average stamina and dishes out a shitload of damage, as well as multiple ways to deal with projectiles and zoning. he also has really solid normals and with AE he finally has a decent antiair normal that wont trade

what does ibuki get

JACK SHIT

Guy is alot better. his Final Fight chain is alot more natural. which means he can now easily combo to ultra one and has a link to FF chain thats easier. his Ultra 2 now starts up faster so he has TWO viable ultras now. so he's definitely going to be more competitive

Once Hakan players realize just how much anti air power he has he should go up in tiers.

Ken is now the best shoto.

Gief's EX Green Hand no longer knocks down. and oh dear god that Light SPD range.

El Fuerte's run stop seems faster but it isnt 1 frame. if it was you would be able to go from crMK xx run xx Fierce

Edited by Densuo

Aside from buffs/nerfs, how do you guys like fighting Oni, since I'm willing to bet he's over-popular on both consoles (he's well over-used on XBL, I can tell you that much) and weak as shit compared to the twins and Fei.

So far, I made it to Top 20 North America Yang in Ranked, but most of my wins came from either tier whores who didn't know what the hell to do since they had no trial mode and Oni players. lol.

Yah, I've been smashing up Oni players pretty good. I just don't think they know how to space with him or poke with him yet. My biggest drawback with Ibuki is closing the gap solidly to get in and actualy be able to target combo and link combo people. I don't have that problem vs most Oni players. It's wild how easy I can close on that guy, which typically spells doom for him.

Oh, and yah. Oni is everywhere. So is Edmund Ryu and Yun. I don't see very many Yangs, tho.

Yah, I've been smashing up Oni players pretty good. I just don't think they know how to space with him or poke with him yet. My biggest drawback with Ibuki is closing the gap solidly to get in and actualy be able to target combo and link combo people. I don't have that problem vs most Oni players. It's wild how easy I can close on that guy, which typically spells doom for him.

Oh, and yah. Oni is everywhere. So is Edmund Ryu and Yun. I don't see very many Yangs, tho.

Yeah, Earl Ryu and Yang seem to be the least popular of the new bunch, in that order. I like it, though. Mirror matches are stupid. Unless they're Chun, Bison, or Geef. Then it's a matter of who can poke, kick, or grab each other better/first.

I've fought so far, One Rose (raped me) One Yun (Rage quit on me. the same scrub I have on Youtube using Gouken), 3 Yangs (lost to one, Toyed with the rest, one Oni (airthrowairthrowairthrowairthrowairthrowairthrowairthrowairthrowairthrowairthro

wairthrow) and 2 Emo Ryu ( Timeouts and trolling)

Regardless. Yun is dangerous but Yang is more troublesome for Fuerte. They at least take damage like bitches. so I have to hurt them first and then run away to make them be stupid.

Evil Ryu is a mix of Ken and Akuma. Oni is a gimmick with his cross up slashes.

Frankly: E.Ryu and Oni feel tacked on, I'd would have rather had other unique characters, these two feel like a cop out with fancy Ultras. Yun and Yang are clearly easy mode to stress how AE is more offensively oriented.

Edited by Densuo

Yeah, ERyu is just a waste of space IMO. A slot on the roster that would have been much better filled by Q, Elena, Mika, or well, anyone.

Yun is a hassle though, for me at least. My friend makes sure to abuse his high-priority moves with 1-frame recovery. It's so hard to get on the offensive.

Edited by Griffon

Evil Ryu's an interesting character for sure. His most positive pro I think is his MASSIVE damage output in punishment situations. HP -> Axe Kick -> Crouching MP -> LK Tatsu -> Shoryu or EX shoryu is FRIGGIN RIDICULOUS