Diablo III

Pendragon

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Deus, they do not have much of a track record. They're kinda jumbled together from in Blizzard.

Flagship Studios burned down all the way back in 2008 with Hellgate: London, which would have been Diablo 3 had their building not burned down some time after release.

Edited by Obscure

^ Which has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Also it's no surprise that Blizzard is going to have it's own real currency system for the game. They've been doing it for WoW for as long as I've known about the game and Diablo 2 has had 3rd party support in that area as well so why not make it available. Just means more money for Blizzard.

As far as I'm concerned this game is dead already. They are forcing online and are making mods illegal. Blizzard is just gay now.

As far as Torchlight is concerned, the first one was garbage. Colorful doesn't equal good. The issue is the entire hack and slash genre is pretty bad as it is. Diablo has never had a very much competition. Torchlight 2 doesn't need to do a whole lot to make it a better game than it's predecessor. I will be satisfied with that if they at least provide some variety in the characters. Torchlight 1 made it so that each character class could only be played one way with a specific set of skills. Completely took away the point of providing different skill trees.

Of course, I've been very pessimistic about the gaming industry's capability lately. =/

^ Which has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Wait what? Flagship Studios was made up of quite a few key Blizzard North members. Hellgate London was incredibly Diablo-esque because of that.

They've been doing it for WoW for as long as I've known about the game

WoW has never allowed people to buy actual equipment with real money. Sure you could buy gold from a shady site, risk a keylogger, then buy rare non-binding gear, but that was never part of Blizzard.

Torchlight 2 will have a Battle.net-like internet interface with it, so that will help keep that game interesting.

No, Deus, they do not have much of a track record. They're kinda jumbled together from in Blizzard.

Flagship Studios burned down all the way back in 2008 with Hellgate: London, which would have been Diablo 3 had their building not burned down some time after release.

Thanks for the info mang.

I think you're not following the conversation correctly.

Art: 90% of Blizzard North's dudes aren't in Blizzard anymore.

Magnus: Yeah, they're all gone. Quite a few went to Flagship Studios for Hellgate London. The current team is just a bunch of random people cobbled together in Blizzard.

PD: Thanks Magnus.

Art: Torchlight 2 is going to have online.

Magnus: Dope, will it be crap like the current Bnet or good like the old one?

Art: Probably like the old one

--You are here--

Except you skip the part where PD asked if the current diablo team has a good track record which has nothing to do with flagship studios. You're not following correctly.

Reread it...you didn't skip it, but it's taken out of context. PD's question had nothing to do with flagship studios and that was what my comment was directed at.

Edited by Rachis

Except you skip the part where PD asked if the current diablo team has a good track record which has nothing to do with flagship studios. You're not following correctly.

It has everything to do with Flagship Studios.

Flagship Studios was a computer game company founded by Bill Roper along with Max Schaefer, Erich Schaefer, and David Brevik, the original developers of Diablo and former high level Blizzard North executives.

The core personnel of Flagship Studios had been collaborating as a team since 1993 when they founded Condor Studios (later bought out and renamed Blizzard North) and in addition to the Diablo franchise many were key high level executives in the development of Warcraft, StarCraft, and World of Warcraft. Flagship Studios was formed following the resignation en masse of Blizzard North management following a dispute with Blizzard Entertainment parent company Vivendi regarding the potential fate of the company, development team, and titles, which were in doubt at that time.

Diablo 1/2 team were fired, the guys we knew made a good game

They formed Flagship Studios, and Runic Games after Flagship died

Diablo 3 is being made without those guys

Ergo no track record whatsoever

Yes?

If the guys aren't the same then no it doesn't have anything to do with flagship studios.

Two different groups of people who did/are doing two different things. They aren't related to Diablo 3. I don't get what is so hard about that for you to understand. You're creating a link where there really isn't one.

Our history has shown that we see things from different perspectives on quite a number of occasions however. Our minds don't operate in any similar fashion.

Edited by Rachis

I'm actually pretty happy with the news. This RMAH idea sounds pretty neat and I look forward to seeing how it's implemented. It shouldn't impact our Diablo Sunday gameplay at all and likely will enable us to make a bit of money just for playing the game and goofing off like we always do, which is pretty wild. I've never had a game offer to pay me to play it before. I'm much more used to having to pay to play the game.