Diablo III

Pendragon

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, online only has been quite an annoying feature of new games but there's not much we can hope for there. No mods I think might eventually change, though I'm not sure. Diablo II wasn't fully free to mod afaik till a few years ago. I don't think it'll be possible with the online requirement on D3, though. Pretty faggy, tbh. Haha.

I get why Blizzard decided to have the game be online only. I'm sure plenty of people out there found the lack of seamless character play annoying and of course hacked characters are never fair in a potentially competitive environment. The reasons are good. They just aren't ones that I need any help dealing with. I was just fine just playing the game in single player for the longest time. Whenever I did play online is actually when I got bored of the game. PlugY also solved the issues of muling and multiplayer getting special treatment so that was pretty sweet too.

I just don't understand why developers feel like they need to have so much control over their games. One of the many reasons I'm finding gaming to be annoying lately is this power issue that developers have to force you to play a game the exact way they intended. I want gaming to provide options. I think mainstreaming has a lot to do with this because so many so-called gamers that I've seen lately really shouldn't be having games built around them. These people do a number of things that consume a large portion of their time. Actual gamers seem to be left in the dark. I'm noticing my time investment into gaming diminishing. Maybe if Black Ops was more interesting I wouldn't really care, but it's really sad when you have to rely on a single mass produced title to get you by on your number one hobby.

They do it for money, of course. Why let people make free mods when you can make mods and then charge em for it?

If they force you to constantly stay online, they can charge you fees for using Battlenet and make sure you aren't having fun without their permission.

I'm pretty sure it's a piracy issue mainly. If it requires you to have an online account linked to the key code, they have a sort of preventative defense against pirated games. Granted there are probably still ways around it because SC2 is like that, but I still managed to find a pirated copy to play the single player off of.

Except, they were saved server side in D1/2 too...

They just don't want the character data structure to be broken into, and have hacked items appear. I wouldn't doubt that 99% of the hacks/hacked items from D2 were tested on the single player first.

Still, that reasoning can go screw itself. HEX charms were so much fun.

You misunderstand Art. They are going to force your characters to be saved server side period. You won't have your own save file anymore.

I know. I was talking about Battle.net.

I didn't do too much single player, except messing around with the various character editors and throwing them in Openbattle.net.

Diablo I only saved characters on your computer, which resulted in MASSIVE hacking. I know cuz I did it too, haha. You would load your multiplayer character from your HDD, haha. You could even go to the Diablo folder and delete your multiplayer chars if you wanted. Pretty badass, hahaha.

But yah, they're doing the Diablo III character server data thing for the same reason that ACV is doing it. I highly doubt piracy is the main drive, tbh, B. The drive for making Diablo II characters server side saved was due to the MASSIVE hacking that occured in Diablo I, hahaha. So good. You know I still ended up making my character a super god in single player mode with that Hero Editor. Great stuff. I don't mind the server side saves too much, they'll still allow single player saves I bet. They do it for SC2 and ACV does it too if you don't have internet, after you've validated your installer, tho. You don't get to carry any of the stuff you do in single over to multiplayer though, and playing offline is typically handicapped cuz you don't have access to the multiplayer parts of the game that it's probably designed around.

But yah, no mods is looking super likely. It's already pretty hard to modify SC2 without getting banned, though not impossible. Stuff like maphacks still work, though they get caught about 50% of the time from what I see. I know some kids got banned for changing their background image at the match/race select screen so that it looked prettier.

As long as this game provides valuable Diablo III Sundays without making them a hassle or boring I will be good with it, though. I've lost the drive to really play hack-n-slash games nowadays. I mostly just wanna make dumbass characters with LCC again and die a lot in Hell. I'm wondering if by playing D3 Sundays every other Sunday or so... will I be able to accrue enough Blizzard bucks to make the D3 expansions or SC2 expansions free for me? It's rare that we play our old characters in Diablo II, really, so if I could just sell all that gear off that could really lower the price of Blizzard games for me in the future, haha. All while playing retarded characters like we always doooooo~~~! Especially with Blizzards development time on these games, haha.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I felt this was relevant to Diablo 3.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/

Scroll down a bit and you'll see some data that was mined from Blizzard.

Sources report that the beloved "Cow" Level from Diablo 2 is being replaced by

A pony level

Secret Level - The Pinnacle of Ponies

Don't forget that this is only datamining, not confirmed info.

Originally Posted by MMO-Champion

Strings

Battle For Ponies

The battle for ponies is about to begin.

The Pinnacle of Ponies Event

Ponies_HopePrison - Hope's Prison

PoniesPurificationTimer - Purification Timer

Bridle_Ponies - Bridle

Rewards

Quest_Act4_PoniessFall_MonkReward - Magic Fist Weapon

Quest_Act4_PoniessFall_DHReward - Magic Hand Crossbow

Quest_Act4_PoniessFall_BarbReward - Magic Weapon

Quest_Act4_PoniessFall_WDReward - Ceremonial Dagger

Quest_Act4_PoniessFall_WizReward - Magic Wand

Bosses?

TentacleHorse - Rainbow Western

Unique_TentacleHorse_A - Midnight Sparkle

TentacleHorse_B_Unique - Nightmarity

Unique_TentacleHorse_A - Nightmare is Magic

Unique_TentacleHorse_B - Generosity in Death

If you hate this kind of thing, you might wanna avoid Diablo 3. Or pray they remove the level.

Again, this is just speculation, so they might be wrong or it might be an April Fool's Joke that's way too late, but if it's true, you'll know where you heard it from first.

Edited by Pendragon

• 3 weeks later...

My current planned level 60 Demon Hunter build. Obviously this is subject to whatever strange stat changes/balances they do to the game after today. I suspect that I will have absolute shitloads of fun using this build, and I feel I've synergized it extremely well so far. It's made to simulate playing a game of R-Type/Gradius. Lots and lots and lots and lots of spam/missiles.

--------------------------------------------------

Skills

Demon Hunter: R-Type/Gradius Build

Gear

Helm: Natalya's Gaze

Pauldrons: Death Watch Mantle

Cloak: Natalya's Shadow

Bracers: Strongarm Bracers

Gloves: White Gloves