Borderlands 2

Bakuhatsu Pengin

You don't have to backpedal everywhere and you really don't have to farm if you really don't want to. There are plenty of guns that drop. You're just fighting me just to do it though. So whatever dude. I've got an easier way to say everything you just said. Your expectations are too high. And you find some way to bitch about just about everything to include topics for games that you create that you don't necessarily care about.

P.S. Generalizing everything doesn't help your cause.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about farming for good guns and managing your skills in a colorful world with colorful opponents.

You don't have to backpedal everywhere and you really don't have to farm if you really don't want to.

Bringing up points and then saying they don't really matter helps much much less.

Edited by Obscure

I have blands1 and I haven't beaten it. The game is fun, but sometimes it gets boring when you're by yourself. I got into it way late and most ppl had given up on it.

I might get into this one, even more likely if I'll have ppl to play with.

If I wanted to farm, there are plenty of MMOs that you can play instead of backpedal for hours on end while managing skills in colorful worlds with colorful opponents. And it's so nice that Blazblue has the most appealing mechanics and a fantastic story behind it too.

Sorry for focusing games as a whole, rather than using tunnel vision to focus only on what's good. :3c

Just because a game's not perfect, doesn't mean it's a bad game.

Nor does it mean games should be judged on qualities not necessary to their specific genre.

Take two fighting games. One has better fighting mechanics, but a shit story. The other has a good story and "decent" mechanics. The former game is still a better game, even if the overall description, on your terms, would mean otherwise. It's the better game because it focuses on what makes it's genre relevant.

Bringing up points and then saying they don't really matter helps much much less.

I don't understand where you're going with that. All I pretty much said there was that you have a choice. Your odds of having great guns are better if you go farming. I don't really care anymore though because it seems everything about this game has to be explained to you. And I believe your issues with the game are just your own. You wouldn't be complaining about backpedaling and stun if you played the game appropriately. Using your environment, taking advantage of the elemental system, and prioritizing critical hits almost eliminates the need to backpedal. There's just a few enemies in the game that I can recall where you still had to make them chase you around anyways. The two quest related elemental skags were good for that. Bitches had a fuckton of health.

I'm hoping they up the challenge a bit. The Siren felt pretty buff. I'll probably be playing alone for awhile since I deploy towards the end of the year so I'll have the game for xbox and pc.

Edited by Rachis

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I never got through the first one. After one night, of actually falling asleep in the middle of combat while staying up late, I realized that the combat sucks too bad to be tolerable.

Hopefully all the enemies in 2 don't move like a) trees 2) straight lines that lead to your feet to make you feel like you're good at getting headshots.

Edited by Magnus

Haha coming from the guy that complains his targets don't get stunned when he shoots them.

Smarter AI is always a welcome change though. Borderlands 1 was mostly a circle strafe fest for me whenever I wasn't in a situation where I needed to poke around cover.

Edited by Rachis

• 2 weeks later...

It's not unique to have enemies not recoil from being shot. Doom, Marathon, back when FPS games were new, enemies didn't recoil from being shot. Then Goldeneye came along and had enemies get their torsos pushed back a little in certain directions when shot. And games would continue the simple version of recoiling, even Halo to Halo Reach.

And then Rage came out and shooting someone anywhere while they were doing anything would result in a super specific fluent animation of being flung back by their arm, tripping forward and rolling when their leg was pushed back, even falling back without always dying when blasted in the chest with a shotgun.

To not even have flinching at this day in age isn't trying to be unique. It's avoiding putting more detail into your game and making combat more realistic and fluent. And these two go hand in hand quite often. So without fluent combat, then how is the game any different from red block shoots blue block with green block gun, when everything is just a moving block?

Enemies did recoil in Doom when they got shot.

Mr. I haven't even played Doom =p.

I'm not even sure how that's relevant anymore. Whichever one he wanted, he did not receive it.

What I don't get is that he chose that as his hangup for the combat. Combat in Borderlands wasn't a boring shooting gallery to test weapons on because people did not recoil. It was a boring shooting gallery to test weapons on because enemy AI was subpar and there were not enough different enemies to shoot at in the base game. This killed the replay-ability. This worked for a while, because the weapons are were shooting into this gallery were interesting enough to keep me engaged in the game. After hitting 51 and having grinded through the usual identical baddie setups for the millionth time, the game went flat. If the enemies actually appeared to be at least pretending they did not want to eat bullets directly in the face, and had there been a better variety of them, the recoil ultimately would be a non-issue except to snobs demanding a near-perfect experience.

If Borderlands II just has more enemies with at least some basic tactical implementation it should be a fantastic game.

The only replayability I found in the game was simply the fact that you could run through it with multiple characters. If the arena was any good then that might change, but I imagine a huge character restructuring would be required to balance everything out enough for the multiplayer aspect to be taken seriously.

I was just curious about the recoil because I wanted to see just how petty his want for recoil is. Either way it doesn't change the game to me. There are systems present that made Borderlands a unique experience.

The most subpar part that stands out to me is that they are boards. They walk up and get shot until their health is depleted, then they move. Even if the boards moved a little from being slapped, then at least I'd feel like I'm doing anything AT ALL.

The most subpar part that stands out to me is that they are boards. They walk up and get shot until their health is depleted, then they move. Even if the boards moved a little from being slapped, then at least I'd feel like I'm doing anything AT ALL.

Yeah but's that's targeting something that just compounds the fact they feel like boards. Even if they didn't recoil, but actually took to cover when shot and reacted as something trying to kill you would the combat would be engaging regardless. Conversely, a recoiling mass of target meat is still a boring target if he just walks into your bullets face first. Perhaps it looks a little better, but recoil is not why Blands combat got boring. It's just something that highlights the fact that combat is boring. It isn't the main issue and there is no reason to pretend as such.

Edit: What's a craw run nob?

Edited by Vincent210