Making ACs a Reality

Well there you have it. It has not been extensively used publicly, therefore its potential remains to be seen. If we were indeed anywhere near the technological age portrayed in armored core...I bet it could quite possibly get shot down.

ACs can't even target things past around a mile, I doubt a stealth bomber is going to have any trouble with it.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you see thats where the games and reality have it all wrong the range of an ac would be more then a mile from just lowers the range to keep the game a challenge.

if it where more like real life you would be blowing stuff up before it ever saw you

Edited by Tidus Klien

Does the word STEALTH mean anything to you?

Not when you are pairing future tech with a plane made in 1989, no.

ACs can't even target things past around a mile, I doubt a stealth bomber is going to have any trouble with it.

Long range AC's wouldn't be limited to a mile, as tidus stated:

you see thats where the games and reality have it all wrong the range of an ac would be more then a mile from just lowers the range to keep the game a challenge.

if it where more like real life you would be blowing stuff up before it ever saw you.

Edited by Talos

if it where more like real life you would be blowing stuff up before it ever saw you

AC's don't have any place to put a large radar. The might be able to fit IR sensors, but then those are short ranged and hampered by weather.

Also increasing AC sight distance wouldn't decrease the challenge. BVR air to air combat is pretty challenging.

Not when you are pairing future tech with a plane made in 1989, no.

I was referring to the purpose of stealth. Plus the B-2s, B-52s and every other aircraft flying around in the military today are not the same as they were when they first entered service. They have been upgraded to the extent that they could be considered completely different aircraft all together. Especially the B-52.

Honestly a gunship could take out a mech. You want a future tech reference for that, just look at GITS.

yes a gun ship would devistate an AC.

and YES there is room on an ac for long range radar. SPACE!!! ever heard of satellite targeting?? heres the link an this also lets the uavs you can launch from the AC's in 5 be more practical

and in general an AC has room for long range radar if we can fit one in an F-14 thats half the size then we can deffinetly fit one in an AC.

F-14 thats half the size then we can deffinetly fit one in an AC.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/Exorcet/qqqqqqqqqq/F-22vsALIYA.png

Also, satelites don't replace radar. If they did, planes wouldn't need radar.

Planes also have a nose cone for radar. An AC would block its own radar with its arms and body.

Edited by Exorcet

Ha wrong!!!! You can put it on the shoulders like the ones on planes that are on the tip of the wing!!!! Or just like in the old games and have a intire back unit for it!!!

haaaaaaaaa suck on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha wrong!!!! You can put it on the shoulders like the ones on planes that are on the tip of the wing!!!! Or just like in the old games and have a intire back unit for it!!!

The last thing an AC would want is a high center of gravity, you shouldn't be throwing things up high. Also, it wouldn't be able to fit any sizeable radar. The best you might get would be something like the Longbow radar, which has a range of less than 10 miles.

That's a prop.

You really should just read this thread from the beginning. The Kuratas is a toy, a cool toy but a toy none the less. It's legs don't really work either.

Yeah well, the closest thing there is as of yet (sadly), so I'm content.

Edited by Talos

Planes don't have full radar units on their wings.

Also that "robot" is shit and doesn't even walk, it shuffles around on wheels.

:blink: why are you guys so small minded???? where all AC fans hear right?? :huh: i mean if not a super heavy combat ready death machine we should at least try to give it the benifit of the dout right??right!! we should at the very least again just try to come up with a design for an AC pleasure craft just for fun and braging rights. and at the apex have a military grade ultimate weapon. and yes i have read the whole topic and my main focuse was on this
:
  • Are armored cores even an engineering possibility with, say, our current technological breakthroughs?

and i say yes we have every thing why cant you all see this! :D (you) there may not be a use for them but we should try! maybe im just to in to the game i dont know. but i will say i give BerserkFury the best luck i can give. that is all

Edited by Tidus Klien

We don't doubt the possibility that someone may eventually build one, we just doubt that it would become a viable military or even paramilitary weapon. The best chance such a vehicle may have is being a rescue vehicle. When all is said and done though, the damn thing would cost way too much to upkeep when compared to the more likely tank/truck with anti fall over mechanisms. But as long as their are steep mountains, rocky hills, and hard to see cliffs, land vehicles will continue to have that chance of falling over and putting legs on such vehicles does not improve their chances.

huuu you can walk up hills and mountains right??

and im going on a limb here and say what if we had boosters like in the game?? i dont know but if you look back on the forum i agreed with you and said

ok necron that is one awesome tank now just make it slightly bigger put a nuclear reactor for a power source and give it 2 Abrams size cannons and you got super tank!!!!

and

AC's would be tanks just with more then one main weapon.

but honesty i know where your coming from why make a "giant robot" when it has little military value.

the world today has no real use for an AC at this moment. but we never know some military guy may find some use for an AC in battle but AC will most likely start out as MT's

and if you know the lore behind all the AC games MT's where just construction robots to help with heavy lifting.

a AC wouldn't be militarized, at lest not till we get boosters like in the game.

one practical aspect of an AC could be a mobile radar unit for hard to get to areas like caves and other suff. but you most likely have one of toughs already don't you. UAV's

So i concede an AC wouldn't be an AC it would be more like a super tank

im just trying to keep a dream alive so insted of arguing the imposibilitys lets put are heads togather and make it possibale

even if its just a big super expensive toy

but sadly it will never happen, none of us have the money, knowledge, or back ground for such a thing. so i will keep arguing though broken

but you could try and read this

Edited by Tidus Klien

huuu you can walk up hills and mountains right??

You know how it takes children quite a bit of time to walk upright?

Now consider the amount of gyroscopic stabilization that a 60+ ton bipedal machine would need. There's a reason why that "robot" simply skids along the ground, if it actually pulled its leg up in a walking motion, it would fall over.

:blink: why are you guys so small minded???? where all AC fans hear right?? :huh: i mean if not a super heavy combat ready death machine we should at least try to give it the benifit of the dout right??right!! we should at the very least again just try to come up with a design for an AC pleasure craft just for fun and braging rights.

It's not that we actively oppose the idea of there being real AC's. They are just impractical, and the idea that we'll ever see combat like what is portrayed in the games is pretty far out there.

And while most people here are AC fans, it doesn't mean we're all that crazy about AC's outside of the game. I'd rather build a car, or a plane (I've done a bit of both). Nothing against robotics, but it's not my thing.

Lastly, this is a thread. Debates will happen. Some people will argue against your points. It doesn't mean it's a personal thing.

and at the apex have a military grade ultimate weapon. and yes i have read the whole topic and my main focuse was on this

and i say yes we have every thing why cant you all see this! :D (you) there may not be a use for them but we should try! maybe im just to in to the game i dont know. but i will say i give BerserkFury the best luck i can give. that is all

It could be a fun project, and I'm sure whoever tried it would learn something, but it wouldn't lead anywhere. Your list:

a AC wouldn't be militarized, at lest not till we get boosters like in the game.

one practical aspect of an AC could be a mobile radar unit for hard to get to areas like caves and other suff. but you most likely have one of toughs already don't you. UAV's

The problem with point 1 is that you could apply the boosters to better vehicles. On the second point, the AC would be no more practical than a tank, and radars don't work in caves.

AC's have only one reason to exist, and that is being a walking, aerodynamic tank.

The reason elephants are still used today in Asia isn't because they can't afford heavy machinery to do the heavy lifting ect. It's becuase that elephants have legs and easily go over many obstascles (fallen trees ect.) that heavy machinery can't.

Imagine a tank that can boost over a building (or on a building for sniping and a good view), or can instantly go over a river while still being capable of defending itself. That's what an AC could be: A highly mobile tank. AC's won't be as heavy as tanks as they have much less bulk making them much faster as well. You may have to shrink them to more realistic sizes but this is definitely practical.

Edited by Duronix