CRT vs LCD Monitors

Neko Arc Chaos

Cathode Ray Tube Monitors The cathode ray tube (CRT) is a vacuum tube containing an electron gun (a source of electrons) and a fluorescent screen, with internal or external means to accelerate and deflect the electron beam, used to create images in the form of light emitted from the fluorescent screen. The image may represent electrical waveforms (oscilloscope), pictures (television, computer monitor), radar targets and others.

The CRT uses an evacuated glass envelope which is large, deep, heavy, and relatively fragile. Display technologies without these disadvantages, such as flat plasma displays, liquid crystal displays, DLP, OLED have replaced CRTs in many applications and are becoming increasingly common as costs decline.

Liquid Crystal Display Monitors

A liquid crystal display (LCD) is a thin, flat electronic visual display that uses the light modulating properties of liquid crystals (LCs). LCs do not emit light directly. LCDs therefore need a light source and are classified as "passive" displays. Some types can use ambient light such as sunlight or room lighting. There are many types of LCDs that are designed for both special and general uses. They can be optimized for static text, detailed still images, or dynamic, fast-changing, video content.

They are used in a wide range of applications including: computer monitors, television, instrument panels, aircraft cockpit displays, signage, etc. They are common in consumer devices such as video players, gaming devices, clocks, watches, calculators, and telephones. LCDs have displaced cathode ray tube(CRT) displays in most applications. They are usually more compact, lightweight, portable, and lower cost. They are available in a wider range of screen sizes than CRT and other flat panel displays.

LCDs are more energy efficient, and offer safer disposal, than CRTs. Its low electrical power consumption enables it to be used in battery-powered electronic equipment. It is an electronically-modulated optical device made up of any number of pixels filled with liquid crystals and arrayed in front of a light source (backlight) or reflector to produce images in color or monochrome. The earliest discovery leading to the development of LCD technology, the discovery of liquid crystals, dates from 1888.[1] By 2008, worldwide sales of televisions with LCD screens had surpassed the sale of CRT units.

Sources taken from Wikipedia

Which of the two do you prefer?

Which one is better for gaming and video watching?

Which is the superior model?

I prefer LCDs because of their slim formfactor. They're also way better for computer screens, because they're easier on the eyes. Higher refresh rate and progressive scan means no subtle flickering that would otherwise tire your eyes over time.

CRTs have the best picture bar none. They have higher contrast ratios because they aren't backlit, and can produce true blacks. They also have better color reproduction and color consistency.

LED backlit LCDs are usually inferior to ccfl backlighting, unless you pay top dollar for a true rgb led backlight that can produce true whites, and not just emulate them like lower cost led backlighting.

I am very excited for OLEDs, but there was also another documentary I saw that was talking about an even greater scientific leap in display technology. I forgot what it was called, but they were able to access light in the form of pure energy at the molecular level.

A CRT would make my laptop enormous. I am not in favor of this. I wouldn't get one for a desktop either since it takes up a lot of desk space. We have a 60-70" (I don't remember the exact number.) CRT television at home. It's not HD since it's from early to mid 90s but it has great built-in speakers and the picture is great as long as you're sitting far enough away.

A CRT would make my laptop enormous. I am not in favor of this. I wouldn't get one for a desktop either since it takes up a lot of desk space. We have a 60-70" (I don't remember the exact number.) CRT television at home. It's not HD since it's from early to mid 90s but it has great built-in speakers and the picture is great as long as you're sitting far enough away.

I tend to prefer the CRT over LED backlit screens for gaming because I get a better contrast therefor I can play any shooter without having to turn on the lights in my closet or opening up a window for lighting.

Even though they tend to be bulkier than the more popular LCD monitor/ tv set they have a better backlighting.

They're also way better for gaming because you can set their resolution to anything you want, and itl'l be as sharp as possible.

On an LCD, if it's not native resolution it's gonna look like crap.

If only there were slim CRTs than we wouldn't have to worry about the bulkiness.

Real men use CRT at 85 hz at an 1152x864 resolution.

Until their monitor dies.

My LCD monitor makes my eyes hurt more than my CRT ever did (see: never), so I'm not going to agree with that one. I'd still take the LCD monitor any day, though, simply because the picture is nicer and it's so sliiiiiim. I'll apply the same statements to my T.V.'s.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy I do. I can't watch my TV for more than an hour or two straight before I start getting bloodshot, and this is even from across the room.

My computer lcd however, I can sit in front of all day and not feel any effects.

There are times when my eyes get really tired and times when they don't, even using teh same monitor. Like, sometimes, I can play a game for like an hour or so on my TV and my eyes will start to feel dry or lazy, most of the time I can play for hours on end without a problem, though. I think it might have to relate to the colors in the picture as well.

Darker games with less color contrast seem to bother me less over time.