Arcade Sticks vs. Stock Joystick/Gamepad

Neko Arc Chaos

I find that the arcade stick to me, is more enjoyable on a fighting game, than a regular controller because for one, the button spacing allows me to do more combo links and kara grabs than on a controller and two they just look bad ass.

There are cons to these though such as high pricing on individual units, but they are very much worth it once you get the hang of using them.

I even used mine in a game of MW2 1on1 sniper/pistolas only just for kicks. I won 25-24.

Anyway sticks(arcade sticks) aren't meant to be used on anything else except for fighting game, but you can use them on any game period depending on the publisher (The model I use is a MadCatz Tournament Edition Arcade Fightstick built using Sanwa made parts.)

Regular controllers I feel, are made for just about anything, but this isn't the case in some instances (specifically the Xbox 360 controller). I feel that when they made that controller they were biting off of the Sega Genesis and Sega Dreamcast control setups. I mean the directional pad is almost the exact same feel.

http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/detail/genesisb.jpg

http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/detail/dc.jpg

http://www.walyou.com/img/xbox-360-controller-recovers-stolen-console.jpg

Anyway discuss, and pics.

My TE Stick:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs086.ash2/37661_145049818842005_100000109635391_425669_3266290_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs086.ash2/37661_145049822175338_100000109635391_425670_7074194_n.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sticks are definitely more enjoyable for fighting games. Before I got mine I just couldn't spend a lot of time in a fighter. Now that I got my stick I haven't touched anything but Blazblue in a few weeks.

I got a madcatz TE stick as well. I swapped out the 4way for an 8way plate though. The 8way feels a lot better to me.

If we're talking fighting games, then sticks hands down. Having all the buttons there help a lot, since you won't have to worry about button mapping or just having to go out of your way to press this one button and making everything uncomfortable. I like an 8 way gate for the sticks, since I feel like square gates are kinda constricting when using any time of character that isn't charge. Even for charge characters, 8 way are still better for me.

I have a hori stick with an 8 way gate. That's about as far as I got with modding. I wanted to get a TE stick, or make my own, but don't have the tools.

If we're talking fighting games, then sticks hands down. Having all the buttons there help a lot, since you won't have to worry about button mapping or just having to go out of your way to press this one button and making everything uncomfortable. I like an 8 way gate for the sticks, since I feel like square gates are kinda constricting when using any time of character that isn't charge. Even for charge characters, 8 way are still better for me.

I have a hori stick with an 8 way gate. That's about as far as I got with modding. I wanted to get a TE stick, or make my own, but don't have the tools.

I like that, old school american gate. Does yours have the bat top or newer balltop? Yeah TE's are the best model being that they are sturdier than the SE models.

But the thing about 8ways on charge characters? "No no no. Wrong way!" - T.T. Clock from DKR. Definitely going the wrong way with that one because charge characters have specific windows of time that their moves must go off and I find that when my super gauge on KoF'98 is full and I can't get the motion right it's because the 8way is usually too lose (basing this off of Hori's and HAPP's products).

But yeah I feel that squaregates offer more precision and better dead-zone than the octagonal gate for charge, but it's hell for dudes that got fireballs and shoto.

kb+m kthx

lolwut?

You certainly need more control for the added freedom you get with the 8way.

Yeah that's something I'd like because today I tried playing Blazblue on the fightstick using Taokaka and Hakumen...oh my god my friends tager is ridiculous >_>

Tager is just his own little monster though. That matchup is almost entirely guess work. I'm just glad there aren't many players out there who can do 360/720's by reaction.

You obviously never played my friends tager, nor my gief on ssfiv, but still I wish I knew where I could get an accurate tier list for this game.

Oh for sure fight/arcade sticks, specifically for (Obvious) fighting games and arcade games, like side scroll beat em ups and top down shooters.

I've been rolling with a TE stick, modded art work since SFIV came out, but before that I had some lame cheap Hori sticks. Not HRAPs. Bleeeehgh.

But for 3D fighting games, I lean a bit toward the pad personally, like Tekken and Soul Calibur, for some reason.

No offense to guys who prefer the dpad because it is your choice. I just feel that the reason you two have stated is just an excuse. I too have only ever played fighting games with a gamepad until recently when I had a buddy convince me to get into Blazblue and recommended a stick. I spent the money and haven't even touched an xbox controller in over 3 weeks.

So yeah I understand the pros/cons to both. It would just be nice if the people that preferred a gamepad had a more legitimate point of view on their preference.

So to Griffon and Adoneal, what is it about the gamepad that keeps you guys stuck on them? Why do sticks not feel right and how much time have you spent trying to learn the stick?

Edited by Wrenchis

I don't mean to answer for anybody, but it seems pretty clear that the reason as to why they like the pad better is because they're just more comfortable with it. It also seems clear that the reason why sticks don't feel right to them is because that's just what they're used to. I don't see "I don't like sticks because gamepads is what I'm used to" as an excuse, as it appears to be legitimate enough point of view on their preference.

And that's just it. A preference. The topic is asking which one they prefer, not which one is better.

To answer BdB, I feel that since the square gate is just that, a square, it's easier for me to pull off charge moves. Despite this, I prefer 8way even for charge characters, as I like the freedom. For some reason, it's easier for me to charge while I'm in the middle of a combo as well. The stick I have has the ball top, not the bat.

I'm not suggesting that the stick is better. When someone says they are too used to something to use something else then it begs the question if they even gave that other something enough of a chance. I know they feel weird, but you have to invest the time. That's why I asked how long they spent on a stick.

It's because I'm reluctant to go through the period of sucking while I get used to the different control method. The way the stick feels and the different button placement, I don't feel the need to go through a period of suck to learn an alternate method when my current one suits me just fine.

I have one of those madcatz fightpads. Not the stick, the gamepad. I used to have to use the joystick for my blanka because the PS3's dpad isn't that great for chargers (though it's super quick for srks). I would've gone for a stick but they were too much expense for a game that I didn't see myself getting terribly serious about. The pad's comfortable and has a better button layout than the stock controllers.

EDIT: This is the pad I have

http://i28.tinypic.com/2v2a721.jpg

Edited by Gary the Tennis Coach

When someone says they are too used to something to use something else then it begs the question if they even gave that other something enough of a chance. I know they feel weird, but you have to invest the time.

That's the thing though. You don't have to. Why is it that you expect someone to invest time on something, when they obviously are comfortable with something else? I like sticks better for fighting games. Before that though, I just used the dpad. I wanted to try a stick though, so I went and got one. I never felt that I had to invest the time to learn how to use one, or get one.

I don't see why people have to give more reason than "I'm not comfortable with them".

I don't see why that's a problem though. If they don't feel like just not trying something that you're not comfortable with it, I don't see why it should be held against them.

It's like requiring someone to be a musician or an artist or an accountant because you have to give it a chance.

It's nothing like that. It would be like asking a musician if they prefer a guitar over a bass or vice versa and them basing their preference to one of them when they never really tried the other.

I'm not holding it against them for having a preference. I'm just saying a legitimate preference should have you with enough experience with either to make a sound judgement call. I just don't buy it when someone says they like one thing over another when they don't even know what the other thing is all about. Preferences are generally based on a solid foundation of both groups and then making a decision about which you like more. Without that you are just ignorant.

An example would be asking me if I preferred a mouse/keyboard to a gamepad. I have more than enough experience with both so I know exactly how both should feel and am comfortable enough to run either one. I just happen to like gamepads over mouse/keyboard.

I recognize that there is no obligation to devote the time to something if you don't like it. You have to want it enough to do that. However, when someone says they like one thing over another because all they have ever used is just one of those things I believe it's just garbage. They don't prefer it. They just never cared to put the time in to something else.

That's how I view it.

Edited by Wrenchis