Arcade Sticks vs. Stock Joystick/Gamepad

Neko Arc Chaos

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cousin got the art off of shoryuken.com from somebody. It's a certain file too. We went to Kinkos and printed it out on Cardstock (or stockcard), whatever its called. We placed the card underneath the plexiglass and cut around it and cut out the buttons too. The plexiglass makes art modding a lot easier.

Oh so the stick comes with plexiglass? Getting a high resolution template and printing it out on cardstock should be easy then.

I'm currently working on a blanka template and a vewlix template that looks just like the actual arcade machines.

I'm also most likely going to be taking out the 2 most right buttons as well. If the original is just a metal plate then that'd be harder to work with I guess. Metal work isn't beyond my area of expertise tho.

nvm I found a series of videos on youtube that answer my questions.

Edited by TMRaven

• 2 weeks later...

This TE stick is a good step-up from the Hori Fighting Stick 3. The sanwa buttons are pretty amazing, when you compress them it feels like you're pressing down on a cloud. The stick itself is much more sturdy in its deadzone (less stick swivel and shake) while having less resistance during its engage and throw distances. A bit more fluid feeling.

I like the TE stick's button layout a bit more compared to hori's it makes for quick transition from upper to lower row easier. I might try out the seimitsu ls-32 and an octagonal gate, as they seem pretty interesting. From what I hear the LS-32 has virtually no deadzone, and has a harder tension.

Edited by TMRaven

• 4 weeks later...
No offense to guys who prefer the dpad because it is your choice. I just feel that the reason you two have stated is just an excuse. I too have only ever played fighting games with a gamepad until recently when I had a buddy convince me to get into Blazblue and recommended a stick. I spent the money and haven't even touched an xbox controller in over 3 weeks.

So yeah I understand the pros/cons to both. It would just be nice if the people that preferred a gamepad had a more legitimate point of view on their preference.

So to Griffon and Adoneal, what is it about the gamepad that keeps you guys stuck on them? Why do sticks not feel right and how much time have you spent trying to learn the stick?

Way late on a reply for this, but my case is I never really liked arcade sticks and never have been very comfortable to me. Unlike Griffon I went to the arcade a lot when I was a kid and played the fighting games often. I just feel like I have more of a degree of control with the D-pad than a stick, but I do see where sticks would be a plus on things like soul calibur for example. The button mapping you have to do in that game to get it comfortable is crazy. If I had a Arcade stick it would be a lot easier to hit all the buttons by having them right here by my right hand. Instead of using R1 for block and L1 for kick to make combos easier. Things like Tekken though don't really need to mess with the mapping and the controller is just fine. And like I've said I've never really been a big fan of street fighter so I don't know how it feels Arcade stick verses Controller.

• 8 months later...

Which ones are good, which ones suck? But more obviously important, which ones are cheap but not terrible? I'm looking to get a arcade stick for PS3 for MvC3 because I don't feel like destroying my standard controller (the stick is already not centering well) and it makes Z-Motions (and every other stick motion) much easier, even if the button positioning will probably be annoying as hell for the first week.

So yeah, information would totally help.

I prefer the TE stick because of its button layout, sensitivity and large size for your palms to rest easily. The Hori Fighting Stick 3 wasn't bad as well, and I got it for very cheap off amazon, but the TE is just better.

HitBox sticks are interesting. They have the same control layout for attacks as every other arcade stick ever, but they use buttons for directional inputs instead of an actual stick.

Edited by Lenin

So I'm currently making my custom art for my TE round 2, and I got this so far, but I dunno what else to do to it, and if I should add some custom brushes to go around the buttons and down to bottom left. I don't think I'll be adding anything in bottom right.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/twisted_metal_2/teart1.png

I'm also thinking All white buttons and white joystick would look best with it, with black bezel.

Edited by TMRaven

What system do you have, Vincent?

Edit: Oh I see now. Both MadCatz and Hori make great sticks, though both companies lower end sticks are pretty bad. Hori sells sticks that range from 40-60 that are pretty bad, and MadCatz have sticks from 60-80 that aren't great either. For an extremely good stick, you'll usually pay around 120-150. Admittedly, both the lower end sticks from either company are not bad until a few months of play, but if you're going to go that route, pick the MadCatz standard stick as its stock parts are a little bit better than Hori's, and it is a much easier stick to modify if you want to replace the buttons and stick for better parts. But again, if you're serious about a stick, shell out the 120-150, you won't be disappointed.

Edited by LlamaHumper

@ Lenin, That button direction shit looks wak. I think it'd make Hypers/Specials harder though. Novelty stick is Novelty.

@ TM, That custom art is fucking epic.

@ LH, thanks for the input, because I WAS looking around the $80 area, so guess I'd be better off looking higher.

So... I guess I'd better get shopping soon. My input work on the PS3 controller sucks. I can't Z-motion for shit. And my controller is going to get messed up soon.

I thought my Hori Fighting Stick 3 was sorta bad, then I tried my friend's wireless tekken stick, and it felt like garbage. Very light weight, very plasticy, very squishy on both the buttons and the stick. Both the stick and buttons and Sanwa equipment make you think you're pushing down on clouds. Edited by TMRaven

Ugh... I'm probably going to start looking through the decent Hori sticks now, since that's what I keep hearing as a recommendation. For now I've just been do the z-motions on the D-Pad and everything else on the stick. It was a tad weird when I started but it works now, and my stick isn't going to break down as fast.