Arcade Sticks vs. Stock Joystick/Gamepad

Neko Arc Chaos

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might try the tape, because I'd rather not develop a callus.D-Pad.... That will probably make everything a whole lot easier than trying to master the fucking stick. Getting Buzz Batons instead of Incendiary Grenades or outright failing to achieve Jam Session is frustrating as hell.

I liked the Dpad better for srk movements, but found analogue better for quarter circles, half circles, 360s and charging. That makes sense too, because the analogue is more like an actual arcade stick, and the ps3 dpad is segmented, so it makes charging extremely hard. PS3 dpad is really great for mortal kombat though.

I liked the Dpad better for srk movements, but found analogue better for quarter circles, half circles, 360s and charging. That makes sense too, because the analogue is more like an actual arcade stick, and the ps3 dpad is segmented, so it makes charging extremely hard. PS3 dpad is really great for mortal kombat though.

Hopefully I can get away with just using it for SRKs. I don't think teaching mah brain to swap when Z-motions comes up will ruin me. I'm already used to the stick, might as well stick with it.

I'm actually very much reconsidering the Hitbox controller now. I realized many things that make it highly appealing:

1) It's VERY good for blocking mix-ups for MvC3, as well as blocking in general. I won't find out the hard way my stick was at just the wrong angle to still count as Crouch-Block and eat a combo. A button is reliable in that sense. A reliable my analog stick could never be.

2) Z-Motion is easy as fuck. Easier than on the PS3 D-Pad. And Quarter-Circles, Dashes, etc. are about as easy as on any decent Arcade Stick/PS3 Pad, which is pretty easy.

3) No accidental jumping.

4) Looks like it'd be much most durable than a actual Arcade Stick.

Now place the price point @ $80-$100 and I'll be quite fucking sold.

I got my TE stick for half off on the gameshark online store from a special. Maybe eventually they'll have one of those again.

If not, and if you can't find a better deal on ebay, there's always this:

Cross Counter is always running these promotions, so at least you could save a little bit of money.

How the hell are you supposed to do a 360 on that-- right button, right/thumb button, thumb button, left/thumb button, left button, left/middle button, middle button, right/middle button? Sounds pretty complicated. I could see it being nice for mortal kombat and maybe that. Square gate just does so much more at a faster rate it seems like, especially for charge characters on street fighter and quarter circle moves on both street fighter and marvel.

Actually I think it would just be left button, middle button, right button, jump button, left button. Or something.

And I'll only really be using it for MvC3 and Mortal Kombat 9 (whenever I bother buying that). The two games where I won't need 360s.

Though now I'm curious about the 360. I think they have a tutorial for their own controller, so I may hit that up to see if there is anything especially awkward about using the device.

EDIT: Quarter Circles are EZ. Down Button > Right/Left Button. That is it. Z-Motion is jut Down Button > Right/Left Button > Down Button. There is also the shortcuts from SF working on this thing too, as well as charging examples. Watching the vids they make for these things has sold me. Or would have if they weren't in the high end price range.

Edited by Vincent210

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threa...-au-asia.92063/

MadCatz TE sticks are of good quality. if top Japanese players like Daigo and Mago as well as US players like JWong roll with them then it says plenty of the quality. you can also do a lot to customize them check the tech talk area of SRK While you're at it.

granted I have one, and plan to get a custom stick.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/twisted_metal_2/TE2_1.jpg

I came across this one dude's custom stick, and instead of using plexi to cover a piece of art printed out, he laminated his own print, and it appears much more vibrant than the usual I see. Art's Hobbies provides already cut plexi and art for you, but the plexi does take away from the luster of the color because it reflects, and my experience with kinko's is that their prints are no where near as saturated as the office max near me.

I think I might go this route instead of doing the plexi, but my only problem would be getting clean cuts for the holes. I'll see how it goes either way.