Arcade Sticks vs. Stock Joystick/Gamepad

Neko Arc Chaos

HRAP > TE > FS > SE

My PS2 HRAP is six years old and my PS3 HRAP is three years old. Both are still working like new. Hori sticks are built like tanks.

My friend's TE square and x buttons went unresponsive a month ago, but he got his TE stick at launch (year and a half ago).

My bro also had his SE since launch and is still working fine. The buttons are not as sensitive as the TE but that is to be expected.

As for the FS, the buttons feel slightly better than the SE. The joystick feels the same.

If you are debating whether to get a Hori or a MadCatz, one thing you should consider is the button layout. MadCatz uses the Viewix layout (the HP and HK are directly horizontal with MP and MK, respectively) while the Hori's HP and HK are slightly lower than the MP and MK buttons. The Hori layout feels more natural for me. But this is all preference.

Edited by Wong

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya man. pimping out a stick is so dope. I was real close to doing mine, but then I kinda stopped playing SF4. I haven't been into fighters as much as I used to. Plus, I hear that modding FS' are kind of a bitch.

HORI EX2 with an octagonal gate. I find the EX2's design to be much more ergonomic than most other sticks that look like kamikaze bait. The octagonal gate makes it even better... now I just need to replace the buttons and cherry top with the Sanwa parts I've had laying around for almost a goddamn year and we're talking pure gold. Edited by Lenin

hori fighting stick 3

This is the one I meant. it's under 70 and has that ball top and comes with a square gate. It's the one I have. I think a TE or a HRAP is better, but it fits that price range.

I have this exact same stick! In fact I think we ordered them around the same time!

@Mike: ya we got it around the same time. Pretty good stick. I like it.

@llama yoyo pics man. I wanna see the plexi custom art.

Anyway, so I decided to mod my stick. I kinda started a bit of the modding by adding a octagonal gate, but I stopped there. Ideally, I want to do custom art for it and change the buttons for sanwa ones (mainly to change the colors) and change the ball for a clear one.

I'm a bit hesitant to do it though cause I don't know anything about wiring and don't wanna fuck it up. I also think it'll make more sense for me to change the buttons so that the colors match the art (yes, it has to match, or at least go well together.

Who knows? If I go for it and do a good job, I might get another hfs3 and do another custom job. I wished art did plexi for hfs3's. Sadface.

Lenin, you bought the EX2 for the case and board? D:

No, I bought the EX2 because it was recommended and not made by MadCatz, and I had good experiences with HORI products in the past. Purely coincidence I ended up liking the design.

• 5 weeks later...

Alright, sorry it took so long for me to get around showing my modded artwork of my stick. Check it out!

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg287/LlamaEnthusiast/09-11-10_1955.jpg

And this one here is a closer shot of the main attraction of the art.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg287/LlamaEnthusiast/09-11-10_1956.jpg

They should have some in the trading area. One guy had a...fuck it i'll just show you:

He's selling his dual modded TE stick for 150$:

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp75/blackspade36/th_2010-09-12035549.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp75/blackspade36/th_2010-09-12035649.jpg