General MMA Thread

Shirtless Crackhead

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Big-C got one helluva knockout, I still think he should go for 205lbs and destroy LHW.

Cain Velasquez is like a reborn Fedor, mauling dudes like that, the GnP was so old school Fedor. I just wonder if he'll get past JDS's hands.

Mir started out looking ok, but after he got shook it was all down-hill from there. JDS does need to watch out for guys with leg-kicks, like Overeem, however. Or he'll get beat like Jackson did by Griffith, they'll stay outside and leg kick him until he can't swing with power and bully him. Granted you have to avoid getting KO'd while doing that, and JDS is way more nimble that any other note-worthy fist-based KO artist I can think of.

JDS should learn to use his knees and elbows.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So Hendo got injured, Sonnen offers to fight Jon Jones, without having a camp.

Greg Jackson tells Jon Jones in a conference call with Dana White, "you do not take this fight, it would be the worst mistake of your career". Then he proceeds to follow said advice and torpedo an entire PPV event.

Uncle Dana is PISSED.

I do, fuck Jones.

Guy was primed up to fight Dan Henderson, but doesn't want to fight the guy who hasn't been training for a fight, and has been working with Henderson, and is from the Middleweight division?

Also, Lyoto opted out of the fight on the 22nd.

As is, Vitor Belfort is the man for the fight @ UFC 152.

Dood was training to fight one guy, gets asked to fight another with no time to prep, and has nothing to gain from it? Yeah I could see why he wouldn't accept.

Is it bitchmade? Sure, could be. Especially with how big a mouth Jones has. But as a business move on Jones' part I see no issue. He's playing by the rules the UFC allows. Just because it's inconvinient for Dana doesn't mean he can't or shouldn't do it.

Fuck Dana.

Unless there is proof Jones is doing something legally wrong, I don't have any actual problems with what went down.

Regardless of anything else, though, fuck Dana.

Nah dude, he was training for a fight, with a wrestler. Chael Sonnen doesn't represent anything Jones couldn't pwn.

He didn't take the fight only because Greg Jackson didn't have time to drill a specific game plan.

That being, back-peddling while doing the arm/fingers out with one arm and chicken wing with the other, doing front stomps to the knees, pressure/counter-striking when convenient, and top game + hellbows.

Dana White's problem is making cards too top heavy that can't continue with out the main event. Meaning he had to torpedo the PPV, but Jon Jones should have stepped up as a fighter to make sure the 20 some fighters on the under card got paid.

Sonnen wasn't training for a fight, he was in Hendo's camp, but as a sparing partner and what not. Chael was willing to fight on literally zero notice, and do it for free. Jones was already prepped for a fight, he just didn't want a different opponent.

That's a bitch move on Jones' part as far as I'm concerned.

And it's a stupid business decision to make PPV's so top heavy by Dana, but he should be able to expect fighters to step up when changes happen. This is the only time someone has been on the main-event and decided they weren't going to fight a short-notice substitute, ever.

My I also re-iterate, with something Jon Jones tweeted 2 years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/TQwl4.jpg

Dana White's problem is making cards too top heavy that can't continue with out the main event. Meaning he had to torpedo the PPV, but Jon Jones should have stepped up as a fighter to make sure the 20 some fighters on the under card got paid.

Sonnen wasn't training for a fight, he was in Hendo's camp, but as a sparing partner and what not. Chael was willing to fight on literally zero notice, and do it for free. Jones was already prepped for a fight, he just didn't want a different opponent.

That's a bitch move on Jones' part as far as I'm concerned.

Being prepped for a fight, and being prepped for "the" fight are two totally different things. Pro MMA fighting isn't the same as you beating up Pendragon in the middle of the street, or what have you. Also, having a gameplan and executing it aren't the same. Those things take time.

I'm not saying Jones isn't a bitch for refusing. I'm saying it makes sense that he refused. The guy spent all this time planning for one fight, and now he's being asked to go into another fight with 8 days notice. He might be able to ruin this guy, sure, but it's his livelihood he is playing with. He has no reason to take unnecessary risks. Besides, he probably knows (like we all do) that Dana will make a big stink like always but it doesn't actually mean shit because he wants that money...which means we can't even say "well Dana will never give him a contract again for this."

The only salient point I've heard is that he's costing a lot of other guys their paycheck.

And it's a stupid business decision to make PPV's so top heavy by Dana, but he should be able to expect fighters to step up when changes happen. This is the only time someone has been on the main-event and decided they weren't going to fight a short-notice substitute, ever.

Dana should know his product better.

Also, there should have been stipulations in the contracts for this kind of situation.

Also that twitter pic is fantastic.

I'm eager to hear what Chael has to say about it. That guy has a huge mouth and loves going on radio shows so we're bound to hear him at some point.

this was funny

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/8299773/anderson-silva-offered-fight-salvage-ufc-151-manager-ed-soares-says