Killzone 3

Magnus

40gb game, open beta is out and doesn't connect, and campaign is plotted out to only be about a pitiful 4.5 hours.

http://ps3.nowgamer.com/news/5130/killzone...ours-long-proof

I'm only mildly interested in playing this as I've heard they've fixed the Forced Being A Midget thing they purposely did, and the Only Fire From The Hip Ever they also purposely did, both of which were total bullshit.

I haven't confirmed yet, as I've spent 4.5 hours trying to connect to the open beta already.

It seems to be a pretty solid game so far. As usual, the graphics are solid as hell, but a lack of resolution can make it blurry at times. FPS still seems to be at around 30fps, as it doesn't feel the most smooth of any game I've played.

The controls seem to be better than killzone2's, and feel a bit more responsive. Not as responsive as cod, but not as clunky as killlzone2-- probably somewhere in bad company 2's range.

The guns and balance seems to be only subpar right now, as both the map design and the weapon balance itself still allows for the shotgun to dominate in a lot of the game. It doesn't help that killtimes are longer overall compared to bad company 2 or cod, and that there seems to be less or no aim assist when ads-- only aim assist when there's hip firing. Melee also seems a bit too easy to do as well, as that's how I was getting the majority of my kills when I first tried out the beta.

On to map design, it still features lots of close quarters combat within rooms, and not very much proper sight lines. I was never a fan of killzone maps, and the beta map doesn't impress me much either.

The lag seems to be minimal, but I can definitely notice some people eating more bullets than others.

Overall it's solid but not great.

KZ3 is a big step up from KZ2 fortunately

the controls are much better with less delay and heaviness

ADS is much better now as well (more accurate and faster ADS up time)

turrets and drones arent OP

graphics look generally the same

spawn times have been shortened to a nice time (4 secs)

weapon balance is still iffy though. shotguns still seem to dominate

definitely better than KZ2, but it feels like its missing something. it just doesnt seem as exciting as other FPS. idunno maybe its just me but it seems lackluster

Tried the beta with some bots after a few failed attempts to connect and TMR seemed to put it best. It does seem a bit faster and more responsive than KZ2 and the accuracy on the guns seemed to be a resolved issue. That said, while it is still graphically beautiful, it still felt like most of the guns I was using were fighting back, making it a bit awkward and still nowhere near as solid as the CoD games. Also, I pray they fix the voice acting. The voices in the beta, especially the Helghast announcer, were absolutely laughable.

i like how most KZ2 fans hate the shit out of cod, praising KZ as the ultimate FPS (not saying you are though griffin. bad post timing lol)

tbh its apples and oranges, and like mag said, it really is a re-skinned BC2.

chode, if you decide to pick it up, ill get it too, but otherwise im probably not gonna buy it

I found my gun in the helghast assault rifle. I use it with the marskman with cloak ability, and set up close range ambushes from time to time.

Melee and shotguns are still bullshit tho. Hopefully the rest of the maps are more focused on range combat, because killzone2 didn't have one map that didn't have buttloads of cqc in small rooms in corridors.

I enjoyed the beta, I used the marksman class with a sniper and assault rifle(using that dual main weapon ability), I also liked the jamming ability the marksman had. I liked the little things they did at least with the beta. Such things like the operations game mode where the best players are shown in the cut scenes. Something else I liked were the ribbons, where you did a certain amount of something and you increased your accuracy, double xp, or faster ADS. That reminded me of an old ps2 game, star wars battle front.

TM some people have the extra armor ability so they take as much bullets as the assault class in KZ2, so it could explain the people taking extra bullets. Speaking of the assault class, an Infiltrator can mimic it with it's upgraded stamina x3 where he runs faster and forever, then adding the extra armor and unlocking the missile launcher for the secondary and you have an assault class that can change the way it looks and that would be incredibly annoying. A lot of people that play the beta can't tell the difference between the infiltrator and someone on there team. The only class that can tell the difference is the tactician, which I think is an awesome class, but underrated as very few people use it or actually go after the spawn points.

Edited by Kaleidoscope

my fav guns so far are the helghast AR, STA-14, and the LMG. i use the shotty when i feel like being a douche.

i wish the STA-14 was on another class tho. i feel useless to teams using marksman, since i dont really use the cloak at all and it doesnt help the team much in any way, plus the random retards usually dont do anything either with their class abilities (ie reviving, capping respawns, or repairing ammo boxes). i like the other classes like medic, tactician, and engineer, but i cant use my damn STA-14 :'(

Yes I know some people have the body armor perk, but chances are the ones in the beta I know have it I can bring down easily anyways, and I know the average time it takes for both body armor and non body armor. In killzone2, I couldn't stand trying to kill people from mid to far range because of the clunky controls (and even the case with some of the lmgs and assault rifles in this game) but the helghast assault rifle is light enough to make aiming feel more like cod series, so my overall killtimes are very low with it. Bato seems to thoroughly enjoy the silenced m82 3 burst assault rifle, but I tried it out and it has that same weighty feel to it, so my aim with it is garbage.

• 2 weeks later...

Man I'm having the same issues with this game as the last killzone. I could kill people pretty fast with the st52 assault rifle in the beta, but the actual game is just lagging way too much for me, and people are taking forever to drop.

I also get pretty good framerate drop too on a lot of the maps, making aiming even more impossible on top of the already weighty controls.

I love the graphics and the map design too much so I'm willing to give it more chances, but I see myself returning it just like I did with killzone2.

Edited by TMRaven

Nah my friend told me it had socom4 beta key and I was like HO SHIT. I was liking the beta too tho and wanted to see the other maps. They are cool, but I plain just can't kill people in this game. Meanwhile my garbage fps friend says he has a 1.8kdr in it. :'(

My kdr's only like .5 or something.

• 1 month later...

Picked it up earlier this week. Having a party system is neat, but they also switched to a bad barebones matchmaking system which I don't like. There's no more squad and proximity voice chat features. Player statistics went from being one of the most detailed to being the most minimal I've seen. It's like they took a few steps backwards on a lot of things.

The online play itself is pretty ridiculous. I haven't noticed any lag at all and the maps are fun, but people do nothing but camp with Marksman and C4 (which is hilarious, because you can now get an endless supply from ammo crates), or blindly run around with Infiltrator meleeing people. Or camp with an LMG on Engineer (Seriously, why did they think that would be a good idea? LMGs weren't even toned down, there was a good reason they weren't allowed on classes in KZ2) WITH their turrets built around them. Medic is utter trash and even Tactician doesn't seem anywhere near as useful as it was in KZ2. This game promotes so much mindless playing, whereas KZ2 was the opposite if you really wanted to make an impact. POW!

SMGs are still impractical, too. Assault rifles are better in every way that matters. High fire rate does mean better chance of headshots, but then I don't see why not run an LMG or shotgun.

So, I'm pretty disappointed. Maybe I'll find different reasons to enjoy this game after a while, but from someone who loved and spent a lot of time on KZ2, all I can think at the moment is "What the hell were they thinking?"

call of duty

pretty much this.

My most played setups happen to be medic, infiltrator, and tactician. just as well.

I miss the proximity chat, made the fighting that much more real to me.

it also made my 16 kill streak on KZ2 with a StA-3 a long time ago that much more satisfying, when I ramboed the whole ISA team to death in a small hallway while screaming "FUUUUUUUCK".

Edited by ^Slaanesh