Boxing

Densuo

Being dominant isn't an issue. Being boring and dominant is.

Examples:

-Fedor was top dog at Pride until Pride folded. Noone complained because he was dynamic and exciting to watch.

-Oliver was top dog in the Cali AC scene for 3 years. Noone complained cuz he had a sublime and elegant combat style that was fun to watch.

-Glitchkos have been ruling HW divisions for years now, but noone cares because they are boring as shit and won't fight each other.

See, having a dominant champ doesn't matter. It doesn't effect anything as long as we all like to watch. It's when your champ, the representative of the division, is boring that casual fans (and even hardcore ones at some point) stop caring. Having a crowd that cares matters, because it pushes the competitors to go harder, if only for the "selfish" reason of making more money.

My final example is the lower weight divisions making more money now then ever. Because they are exciting.

Edited by Penguin Deus

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come I never see any big name cruiserweight fights anymore?

Everything is 125-155lbs or Glitchko.

Too many weight classes if you ask me...

I'd say having too many champs in a division is also hurting boxing. WBC havig Champion Emiretus, Champion, Iterim champion, and Champion in recess is a bullshit way of them charging sanctioning fees.

We can't even get to unifications anymore with Boxing commisions having multiple champions needing to be sorted out first and hoping that fighter doesn't get hurt when being crowned the real champ and then having the commision forcing the champ to fight useless no-hopers to prevent their belt being sullied because their champ lost to a different champ.

It's all bullshit. Gimmie the Ring Belt. I'm glad Stallone in the Rocky movies only went with the Ring belt as opposed to other commissions. Its hilarious how a MAGAZINE gets it right far better then several international boxing councils.

Edited by Densuo

That's an interesting stance. Could you elaborate on this for me please?

EDIT: elaborate on that? That's probably the better word for the sentence. Whatever you got what I was saying probably.

Elaborate on weight classes? Sure. There's too many of them. It makes it harder to follow.

Look at minimum (Straw) and light fly. come on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_weight_classes

go here for a PRIME example of the WBC's bullshit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interim_championship

Edited by Densuo

Oh, no I meant elaborate on like how you would fix the "too many weight classes" problem. I was thinking you prolly thought it through some and wanted to see what it was you came up with.

Welterweight and above no changes

Combine Light and Super Light . Lightweight 140-131

Combine Feather and Super Feather. Featherweight 130 -123

Combine Bantam and Super Bantam. Bantamweight 122-116

Combine flyweight and super flyweight. Fly weight 115-109

Combine Minimum and Light fly. Straw Weight. 108 and down

That all seems pretty reasonable to me.

Do you think that there are so many divisions currently because they were looking for more ways to make money, or some other reason?

I'd wager money. The changes I would make I only would make it because the weight difference isnt that big. Can't do it too much or in the higher weights because punching power would definitively put some people at a massive disadvantage

• 2 weeks later...

Andre Berto didn't look very impressive yesterday, if anything he should he's still a game fighter.

However:

He would have been in real trouble if the guy he fought had any power. He needs to work on his defense. You'd think he'd address that considering his lack of defense led to a couple knockdowns when he fought Victor Ortiz and lost his 0

He won by TKO as the other fighter's eye swelled up hard and he had a very bad cut

Edited by Densuo

• 2 weeks later...

In the replay you can see during the second embrace that Mayweather peeks over and notices Cortez aint lookin, notice Mayweather has his hands up, and proceeds to map Ortiz twice.

Cortez would have DQ'd him had it been illegal.

First thing my uncle taught me is Protect Yourself at All times.

You wanna do a my bad for a headbutt or something stick your hand out and touch gloves.

Mayweather did something similar to this vs Arturo Gatti. Fucking noob.

EDIT: Comic Sans goodness

Edited by Densuo