Pokemon

EX33396948

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh... Azelf leads. There's really not much reason to lead with any other pokemon. Last I checked, it was the third fastest pokemon in the OU metagame, out-sped by only Aerodactyl, Ninjask and Weavile. I believe it ties with Starmie, as well.

And considering close to every Azelf you'll face carries Explosion, it's hard for Blissey to switch into it, as it almost never carries a choice item either. Plus, if you guess wrong on a switch, it'll just Nasty Plot up, and probably sweep two or three of your pokemon right out of the match. Heatran can be a good switch in, since it gets a boost from Flamethrower and resists Psychic and Explosion. But I'd say your best bet is Spiritomb... A Spiritomb that carries Pursuit and holds Macho Brace. Crap, man. Azelf scares me more than almost anything else in the metagame. They're just no fun, and I say this as a man who leads with Serene-Grace-Flinch-Abuse Jirachi.

You guys are free to make more than one Pokemon thread if you want. I'm not making this post to break up your conversation, either. I just get the feeling that you guys wanna post teams or something and may be worried about making more than one Poke-thread.

Just an FYI. Btw, Viv's rain dance team is epic.

Anyway. Weather by itself is for pussies. Real men use to their advantage the power of weather AND physics:

http://www.smogon.com/download/sprites/dp/455.png

'Erlgaia', the lead Hippowdon @ Leftovers

Impish Nature

Ability: Sandstream

EVs: 252 HP, 168 Def, 88 Sp. Def

- Stealth Rock

- Roar

- Slack Off

- Earthquake

A good choice for a lead, and a wall, especially with the boost it gets from sandstorms. Too straightforward to really lend itself to commentary.

http://www.smogon.com/download/sprites/dp/227.png

'Usarag', the spiker Skarmory @ Shed Shell

Impish Nature

Ability: Keen Eye

EVs: 252 HP, 64 Atk, 176 Def, 16 Spd

- Spikes

- Whirldwind

- Bravebird

- Roost

This is a standard spiker Skarm. The idea is obvious. Shed Shell was chosen over Leftovers to prevent Magnet Pull faggotry.

http://www.smogon.com/download/sprites/dp/482.png

'Charon', the return of Dusknoir @ Leftovers

Impish Nature

Ability: Pressure

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 6 Sp. Def

- Gravity

- Ice Punch

- Thunder Punch

- Shadow Sneak

The very point of this team. Gravity is a pretty nasty move. Not only does it mean that everyone gets hurt by Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Ground moves for five turns, but it also lowers evasion modifiers, thus giving Dynamic Punch and Will-O-Wisp 82% and 100% accuracy respectively. Shadow Sneak + Dynamic Punch gives me excellent type coverage on common switch-ins (thanks for playing, Blissey) and Will-O-Wisp effectively allows me to cripple most OU physical sweepers.

http://www.smogon.com/download/sprites/dp/260.png

'Grendel', the fantastically named Swampert @ Life Orb

Adamant Nature

Ability: Torrent

EVs: 252 HP, 216 Atk, 40 Def

- Curse

- Waterfall

- Earthquake

- Avalanche

The return of the Cursepert. It's pretty obvious, but this little bastard has his brutality increase tenfold under Gravity. Enjoy your Earthquake.

http://www.smogon.com/download/sprites/dp/490.png

'Gozer', the scarfed Heatran @ Choice Scarf

Naive Nature

Ability: Flash Fire

EVs: 6 Atk, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd

- Fire Blast

- Earth Power

- Explosion

- Dragon Pulse

Oh, scarfed Heatran, you're so evil. I love this thing. Very straight forward special sweeper I chose for the simple reason that Heracross ruins Dusknoir's day.

http://www.smogon.com/download/sprites/dp/134.png

'Nereus', the poisonous Vaporeon @ Leftovers

Bold Nature

Ability: Water Absorb

EVs: 188 HP, 252 Def, 68 Spd

- Wish

- Toxic

- Surf

- HP Electric

Vaporeon is badass. After scraping Forretress, and Toxic Spikes along with it, I opted to put Toxic on this thing in place of Protect. HP Electric is a useful move here too, for obvious reasons.

I scraped Salamence and Forretress, putting Vaporeon and Skarmory in their place. Also changed Swamperts item to Life Orb and turned Dusknoir back to an anti-spinner, since Rapid Spin will seriously ruin half of this teams strategy of roaring + whirlwinding through a team to damage with spikes/stealth rock and setting up Gravity to wreck with Earthquake. With the addition of Vaporeon, the biggest threat this team faces is pretty much anything with HP Grass--especially Electric types--since it's hard for this team to switch in on a pokemon wielding both T-Bolt and HP Grass (but I think it's as effective in it's defense as it can possibly be), and of course the death of Dusknoir is a major bummer here. And yes, I realize that I still don't have Pain Split on the guy, but I had success with essentially the same move list on it in the past.

Any new thoughts?

Edited by Lenin

Crap, man. Azelf scares me more than almost anything else in the metagame. They're just no fun, and I say this as a man who leads with Serene-Grace-Flinch-Abuse Jirachi.

I suppose you haven't seen some of the Arceus builds have you?

Glad most people don't play that damn thing.

Anyone in this thread in the UK? They're releasing Arceus over there and I'd like to trade for one. I have an extra US Jirachi from Gamestop.

Here's the link for more info

http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx?lid=131...av-_-storeevent

EDIT: I've found someone on /v/ who I will be trading for. Although it would be nice to have a back up just in case things don't go through and I'd be happier to trade it to one of you guys than some anon

Edited by EX33396948

Cresselia is UU now. The walls are coming down.

I've been playing this on DS again. Trying to help my friend gear up for a tourney. I think I messed up his spirit cause he only battled me once while figuring out his team. He got rocked by flygon.

Not only is Cress in UU but Rhyperior is too. Rhyperior! How can 140 base attack be in UU?!

Slow with two x4 weaknesses to common special types in UU keeps it from being BL. Same deal with it in OU, hence whyi it is UU in the first place.

Cresselia in UU is bullshit, and is likely to be voted BL this round. Damp Rock is up for nomination too. A lot of Smogonites are arguing that it makes Rain teams too powerful in UU.

If they complain about damp rock they might as well ban heat rock and light clay too. I don't see the big deal. Banning hold items seems stupid. With the exception of soul dew, I don't see hold items make anything TOO strong.

Ya his FENG got crushed. I should upload the match. I think I went 5-0 but maybe I surfed out my own dude (it was a double battle). I forget how I lost a dude.

Man, am I alone in thinking that Rhyperior has always sucked? A 140 base attack stat that's backing STAB Earthquake is... alluring at first. But it gets baited and killed by the pokemon it should be countering. It's just simply too slow.

Subperior is alright. Choice'd Rhyperior is just not all that great. I really don't like that pokemon. Haha.

He might almost have a chance (but not really) of jumping up a little bit if people would stop bringing him out on Life Orb Jolteons with no THE SANDSTORM RAGES going on.

Edited by Lenin

That's pretty much right where he belongs. Without a sandstorm, he can't take Life Orb'd HP Grass or non-STAB Grass Knot. Actually, I'm not really 100% on that. But basic fact is that he isn't a particularly great pokemon. He's simply too slow, and all his weaknesses make it that much worse. Rock/Ground is just piss poor defensive typing (anything else > rock/ground > rock/water > bug/flying), and you'd think Solid Rock would make a bigger difference.

Look at Glaceon that's sitting in the NU tier. Why? It's got a 130 Sp. Atk stat, which is OU level (tied with Gengar, Magnezone and Heatran), it gets a 20% evasion boost in hail (if Glaceon is on your team, there WILL be hail, 130 base attack stat in conjunction with a never-miss STAB Blizzard, oh the humanilulz), but it's typing is ass and it's slow (still faster than Rhyperior) as all hell.

Though it should be said in fairness that Life Orb Rhyperior will rape fucking everything on a Trick Room team.

Edited by Lenin

rhyperior can function well with subs, sand, rock polish, trick room and baton pass teams. Sure, its not perfect but still usable. Its just how you bring it in. Its similar to how roserade was. It was in UU for the longest till people saw that toxic spikes/leaf storm/sleep powder/hp fire with sash make it a sick lead. Now its OU again.

They stuck gallade in UU for a while too and its now BL. I still think it can hang in OU but that's me.