Comics, Manga, and Graphic Novels

YUNG MASTERLESS GLENCOUR

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge moment in the Berserk manga, they finally met Hanabufuku

been waiting for this moment since I was in college

I forgot that was released. Too bad it can't get a decent animation. I feel like Berserks ending shouldn't be too far off, unlike HxH since togashi is just scratching the surface of some massive multipart story arc

Yeah. The reveal from 85 isn't too shocking, since it was something one could infer from the beginning of the tease to it finally happening. There should only be one big fight left but I bet this shit is going to go on for another 20 - 30 chapters. I mean the dude might be able to take it somewhere interesting again but that human hunter squad storyline was garbage.

My friend wants me to read Blankets, which my niece's dad once recommended to me, so I might as well

One other thing I read recently was Goodnight Punpun. Depressing coming-of-age story. Started off real strong, once it got to the final sequence I felt a little disappointed.

Spoilery Thoughts:

The visuals were very intriguing for the beginning which kept me reading, but eventually it became very tame. The weird cult side plot that started early on in the story had such a uneventful conclusion when I thought it would somehow involve the MC. The final story part the MC has a change of character and all the traumatic bits are laid on thick one event after another, and it kinda took me out of the story itself. It still had some good moments, and something of a nice bittersweet ending.

the thing on attack on titan has a lot of ppl mad thats why i ask

ive never really believed it was that great a story and frankly the big reveal hasnt really changed my mind on it

yeah the human hunter thing was just plain weak

what do you mean by it became tame? Are you saying you just want to see shit you'd consider crazy and extreme otherwise the story is no good?

I'm not mad at AoT. I don't understand why people would be unless they were expecting something else or more shocking?

As far as Goodnight Punpun goes, the first chunk has people with strange expressions and visual renditions of Punpun's mind going through puberty and shit like that which I thought was very neat, and Punpun himself and his family are also are draw as bird like creatures rather than humans. It's just the author/mangaka/whatever didn't do as much of it as the story went on, which doesn't make me hate the story by any means. I was just dejected cause the thing that drew me in was somewhat abandoned for less interesting/more poignant visuals.

no i know what the story is ive read it before or rather started and then quit cuz i got bored

its just that whenever i see the argument "it was cool until it became tame" especially with manga/anime it tends to mean the same thing every time, ie. there isnt as much rape/its not as edgy as the beginning so now i dont like it (see the most common criticism of berserk)

im p sure the reason they did it less and less is cuz he didn't need the mechanism to cope anymore, that was the whole point of the bird form, ti was his way of coping with the fucked up nature of his life

he got stronger so he didnt need to be a stupid cartoon bird, at least im guessing thats the idea

anyways thanks for clarifying what you meant

I mean, in Punpun's case the edginess comes in the end and that's the part that kinda lost me. Really the bird form is the only thing that gets any different as it goes on. It changes pretty drastically at times too towards the later half.

I liked the mother and uncle's side plots but the old schoolmates plot seemed as just a way to break from the MC's story. The cult story went totally nowhere. I still liked everything as a whole. I just wanted to know why dopes online were calling it some mega gut-wrenching tear jerker, and now I know. Problem is I think it's a low point for the story itself.

I can't imagine trying to recommend Berserk to someone by saying "it's got cool blood and guts." Now that I think about it I don't know what I would say

What made me really love Berserk was most definitely the character development and how well each characters actions, feelings and motives moved the story along. Great for building up climactic key plot moments. I'm pretty sure that's what I kept telling Jackson when I was trying to convince him to check out Berserk. The violence and gore has little to do with why I would recommend Berserk, but it does help a lot with the overall tone for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

The current status of Berserk's Pre-publication is: Hiatus until first half of 2017

sk.net was source, wildly unsurprisinggggggaaaahhhhhhhman this blows we're finally to the fucking island man

i think we get one more chapter this year at least (i think end of this month) so that's cool at least

• 2 weeks later...

yeah I heard! I didnt know the ray was in it tho!

killer frost tho thats interesting

im amped for ray tho! they did a mini with ray a few years ago it was actually really good

http://www.cbr.com/wildstorm-returning-as-new-dc-imprint-under-the-direction-of-warren-ellis/

could be cool? warren ellis is a pretty cool guy

Yeah it could be cool. They will probably have to wait till NYCC to get more info. That was a surprising announcement to say the least.

I'm real excited for the new JLA. Will def be picking up. Never heard much about The Ray till now so, should be interesting.

Man I am really enjoying Superman. Tomasi and Gleason are killing it. And I hear Tomasi is writing Super Sons.

I picked up the Deadman mini series. Really enjoyed the art and general vibe of it. I think it'll be good (despite it being 3 issues)