Conquest Mode

Nomrah

Niji, us guys over on Wing team 1 are getting a bit concerned over the fact that we cannot initiate battles that would result in a raise of our territory points. We've been trying both invasion and stronghold conquests, but we just end up waiting until we get fed up and leave. One time though a "WAR HAS BEGUN!" screen activated instantly but we just ended up fighting some AI. Do you have any helpful advice on how we can effectively initiate battles that will result in actual progress towards dominating the Huge Canyon, we have a base with a measly 1000 territory points and there doesn't seem to be anything we can do to raise it.

I have yet to encounter actual players in a territorial battle, i'm growing more and more concerned about this game with each passing night. I've had much more fun and success in ranked free battle than anything involving the territories so far. Killed a guy in a one on one with my Sniper/Sentry -> Gatling/Shotty setup, most fun I've had in the game so far.

Edited by Nomrah

Niji, us guys over on Wing team 1 are getting a bit concerned over the fact that we cannot initiate battles that would result in a raise of our territory points. We've been trying both invasion and stronghold conquests, but we just end up waiting until we get fed up and leave. One time though a "WAR HAS BEGUN!" screen activated instantly but we just ended up fighting some AI. Do you have any helpful advice on how we can effectively initiate battles that will result in actual progress towards dominating the Huge Canyon, we have a base with a measly 1000 territory points and there doesn't seem to be anything we can do to raise it.

I have yet to encounter actual players in a territorial battle, i'm growing more and more concerned about this game with each passing night. I've had much more fun and success in ranked free battle than anything involving the territories so far. Killed a guy in a one on one with my Sniper/Sentry -> Gatling/Shotty setup, most fun I've had in the game so far.

^this....

But seriously, This has been an issue for the past two days now (ever since Wing 1 lost our first and only 10k territory due to AP zeroage). Is there something that Khraze and i are missing or is this something on Bandia's end?

i just might do that..>__<

lol, its not exactly bothering me atm. ive played A LOT of games at launch, and ive come to accept the fact there WILL be problems that have to be worked out. i can be patient, i just want to understand what the problem is and who's fault it is.

My clan has found that using the "start mission" stronghold defense option works better than the conquest one. The conquest one is only for when your base reaches 0 AP. The Start mission one is to intercept enemies trying to lower the AP. Winning those raises it some too.

Just today me and a few others played against a bunch of people trying to take the canyon, good times.

To attack bases you gotta weaken defenses with the regular ones then do the conquest one after enough times. It would help greatly if we could pick and choose which territory to attack though, because as is it is a guessing game.

Edited by Mushinronja

My clan has found that using the "start mission" stronghold defense option works better than the conquest one. The conquest one is only for when your base reaches 0 AP. The Start mission one is to intercept enemies trying to lower the AP. Winning those raises it some too.

Just today me and a few others played against a bunch of people trying to take the canyon, good times.

To attack bases you gotta weaken defenses with the regular ones then do the conquest one after enough times. It would help greatly if we could pick and choose which tettitory to attack though, because as is it is a guessing game.

Ah thanks Mushi! I was so worried

TIME TO ATAACK!

As for the territory matches, you can only defend vs someone in Conquest mode who is attacking using Conquest mode. The two modes are fully seperate for the matchmaker, just like each area on the map is seperate for the matchmaker. On top of that the servers are being really annoying for ACV and Namco isn't doing any maintenance on them. The JP servers get reset regularly (basically maintenance) so that the matchmaker keeps working right. The reason random invasions stopped working for Conquest mode is because all the territory the AI owned has been sucked up by players, probably a lot of people who grabbed one territory and can't defend it or stopped playing.

To gain territory now, you have to either force everyones territory into 0 AP remaining so it starts burning down or find someone who is actually defending in Conquest mode to blow up, thereby taking their territory. In the case of the 0 AP burning down situation, the AI will take back a territory that is at 0 AP after about 24 hours. I don't recall if doing regular defense missions fills up territory AP at all. I don't believe it does. I know that regular defense missions will increase territory value, though. A lot of people confuse the territory AP (bar) with the territory value (number) on the territory menu.

So, to gain territory now you must basically spam anti-turret missions in the areas you want to break. This will slowly tear down all the inactive (and active) territories in those places. Once they all reach 0 AP remaining the AI will take them back after about a day, then you can spam Conquest missions vs the AI and collect a whole bunch of free territory. Considering the fact that breaking all those territories will earn you lots of team points, it means that you'll probably be sitting on a 3-5mil team point stock by the time the AI take the territory back. This normally isn't an issue cuz there are so many players doing anti-turret missions, but the NA server is relatively desolate. That means the territory system can get drawn out into a long war of attrition, chipping, and waiting. As silly as it sound, it's not made to support this few active players, hahaha.

The ACV system is designed to have more active players than the NA server is currently housing. Without more people it's impossible to have enough activity to warrant people sitting in defense missions all day and it's impossible to break inactive territories quickly. The server splits are honestly working against us a bit, hahaha. It wouldn't be so bad if we had about twice as many active players in the game, but AC is a niche game and it's never busiest at release. It tends to get busiest about one month after release as word picks up about the game, then the activity dies back down after about two more months.

Yah, when you do standard anti-turret invasions it randomly selects a territory owned by someone then subtracts points from it. Normally a territory takes about 10 hits before it reaches zero. Since it's random selection it means it's impossible to focus any one team's territory down, you just gotta literally break everyone's territory in that area. You also never accidentally hit your own team's territory.

This gives teams a reason to defend in standard missions too. That way they can prevent territory damage and can gain points towards their current territories scores. When there are lots of players on the servers the territories get constantly attacked by small fries, which slowly insures that inactive teams that own territory lose it. The problem is that we don't have that many active people on NA servers and our current teams are losing their minds doing nothing but invasion after invasion vs turrets or sitting and waiting hours for a defense mission to crop up in conquest mode.

Oh another thing about intrusion and defense missions. The star rating you set targets specific level territories. You'll notice your territories all have letter ratings. Those stars correspond to letter ratings. This makes things even more complicated for servers with fewer people. If you target 4 star territories in conquest or standard missions (say in Mining Sector) and we're defending our 10 star territory (actively waiting in a defense mission), it won't matchmake us. This is because it's trying to find a lower level territory on purpose for you to attack and we're defending a higher level one.

As stupid as it sounds, NA server has too few people playing and JP server has too many people playing. That's why their servers keep crashing from overload and our territory mode is such a hassle. It's a great territory system if you have enough players to really make use of it, otherwise it's just forced attrition.

Hopefully more people start playing AC soon. It takes AC players a bit to warm up to online mode, too. Give it another week or so and we should see lots more activity across the board in NA servers.

Thanks for the highly informative intel Niji, you explained everything and more. I was fearing the truth that there are simply not enough active NA players for the system to work properly. I'm sure the lack of a proper NA manual did a number on the population as well, I wouldn't be surprised if a huge chunk of initial players ended up returning there games shortly after purchase due to confusion. Is there any chance the Territory system might be altered in the future to accommodate a NA's smaller player base? The chance of encountering other teams needs to be drastically upped, I'd even suggest changing the system up so that it is made apparent that a team is defending. Anything to get active players more engaged with each other.

So, this start mission conquest rating did work after all. It gotten a few level 200 teams to defend there bases against me, from the result of getting many points for the past hour today.

I wish that someone can challenge my territory. It was at a 0 rating and rank 23rd when I claimed it, but not anymore.

Edited by Lygophilia

As stupid as it sounds, NA server has too few people playing and JP server has too many people playing. That's why their servers keep crashing from overload and our territory mode is such a hassle. It's a great territory system if you have enough players to really make use of it, otherwise it's just forced attrition.

And EU has even less players than NA. I've suggested in a couple of different places that we should get as many people to post complaints to Namco support as possible, trying to get the servers merged, or at least an explanation for why they can't.

Edited by obliviondoll

I don't see how this situation is going to correct itself without pacthing/tweaking by FROM. Current players are getting turned off to the Conquest meta-game due to the long wait times for missions and grinding for team points. I don't think we can expect an influx of players in NA due to the mediocre reviews and the "nicheness" of AC titles.

Hopefully there are some server-side dials they can turn to make the Conquest meta game interesting. It would be a shame if it doesn't get off the ground in NA.