Dark Souls II

Kaleidoscope

At first I turned a cold shoulder to the Gyrm Great Hammer because I had a couple of bad PvP experiences with it, but once I found out its useful moves I started really digging it. Basically I'm only relegating its usage to 1h rolling r1 and 1h r2. The Greatsword was decently competitive but just not fun to use. The Gyrm Great Hammer however, something about it is so enriching. There's still a couple of other great hammers I need to try out however.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did powerstance demon great hammers but those ended up being more useful dual wield non powerstance

one thing that was nice about the powerstance greathammer L1 is that you can basically do a 180 turn while still locked on to punish rolls or flanks but the damage was disappointing. also, alternating R1 L1 with great hammers is about a quarter second faster than just doing 1HR1 chain

at 75 STR, DGH beats great club in damage by about 30-40 points, but great club only requires 28 STR, has longer range, and weighs less. also doesnt require twinkling titanite.

chime hammer is good for str/hex builds because the special R2 shoots homing shadow balls and its got pretty good damage and scaling in phys/dark, but str/hex is a build better suited for SL150 range.

ive never used gyrm great hammer

overall my favorite weapon in the game is true santier spear. its got no scaling and only 200 base with 20str/22dex requirements, but the movesets and damage modifiers are insanely good and powerful. in 1H, you get spear R1, halberd R2, twinblade rolling, and dks1 murakumo running attack. 2H, you get twinblade R1, twiblade R2, some roll attack which i cant identify (not that amazing) and HALBERD RUNNING ATTACK. the damage modifier for the 2H attacks are higher than the twinblades as well from what i saw (mundane santier spear @270 did slightly more damage than stone soldier twinblade ~@330 during a short test i did on ironclads). it also has infinite durability so it doesnt break like paper twinblades.

its really great if you imbue it with an element and add the proper elemental buff to it, since then it has roughly 350 attack rating, which will do about 800-1200 damage in 1 2HR1 combo or 1 2H running attack.

ive yet to see what it does in the powerstance offhand, which is something i will do soon.

only thing is it took me an hour of banging a wall to break the rock off the spear. you can do it faster if you go to tseldora and pile up a bunch of undead hollow bodies and smack those instead of a wall, but either way it takes quite a bit of time.

I get about 1300hp worth of damage with gyrm great hammer's 1h rolling attack combo'd into 1h r2. But man, I just had some guy with two of this one straight sword enchanted with fire push my shit in. He did some kind of strong attack or combo attack or whatever that did like 1500hp damage to me. I dunno what it was but it came out fast and it has long reach.

you sure neither of them were greatswords? longest reach longsword with one of the best attack ratings would be drakekeeper longsword

all the longswords act pretty similar thhough. one thats surprisingly good is normal longsword 2HR2

i played in arena and invasions today at 150 with str, dex, int, faith, and hex builds with just about every weapon type there is

150 confirmed terrible pvp SL because fast roll havels with great axe

also everyone just straight sucks there was only 1 good player out of ~100 matches and he used 2h gyrm hammer

120-130 is way better fk 150

ya i was talkin to LS about that vid last week

based on that unreliable vid and the frame data that one guy did with lava i was thinkin that agi had something to do with increasing or decreasing hitbox size, however invincibility hitbox works

if your invincibility hitbox gets bigger over time, youll have a slight gain in frames dodged on something static like lava because youre higher off the floor

thats assuming this game has hitboxes during i-frames tho

idk

i play base adp with my sorc (bloodbro only) and haven't had any real problems

i usually get caught cuz i got caught or cuz the hitboxes on certain weapons are weird

if adp matters that'd be the only reason to go above 130 for average SL

i'm sticking to 120 until shown otherwise fk 130 (my sorc is 124 cuz owen told me i could spec down but then john tested and said u cant so sorry on that but suck it up u coward its 4 lvls on a caster ur a meleefag so u got like 2x the life and load and 3x my armor with no loss in speed)

(faggot)

gotta play ds2 like this tho:

Edited by YOUNG CALIGULA

I wanna say those straightswords had a very pronounced handguard to them, almost like the Lucatiel sword but straight. It mighta been the Lucatiel sword hell if I know. I don't have the guide or game on hand at now to check.

I'll be going to 125 with all my builds.

I see 125-130 being a good tradeoff. In this game load capacity and stamina are split between two stats compared to only 1 from dark souls. Assuming you need about 10 extra points put into load capacity, that roughly equals out to a 120 level build in dark souls 1.

ya i do nee 9 more points otherwise im stuck with only spells and mlgs or some other shitty weapon

more str/dex means i can kill things that get close

oh also after playing with the different caster classes, id rank the spells as hex int pyro faith

faith sucks and pyro is literally just flame swath and pyro enchant, and int can already do those both

int gets orbs, css, soul gs, and cmw mlgs which does something like 780 pure magic damage

hex is still king with GRS tho

also im pretty sure tm is talking about discrepancy between 150 and 120 with 125-130 being the middle ground

and if hes not then hes a fag (even if he is hes still a fag too i even got a psn account named TMRaven-is-GAY hmu)

Edited by Bakuhatsu Pengin

I'm saying that because equip burden and stamina bar are two stats now compared to the 1 of dark souls, it's ok if we go up a little in level to make up for that. 150 does seem like too much because we also have to factor in that the game now has 4 rings, and a lot of them have a +2 variant that blow up a lot of your stats way up (equip burden, stamina regen, atk power, dragon ring +2 etc.) In Dark Souls 1 your rings usually consisted of gym ring and backstab + ring.

I just think 125-130 is a good middle-ground, but the only bad thing about 130 is it leaves you open to playing dudes at 140, which I think might be too high.

I been browsing gamefaqs every once in a while and it seems like the people who've been PvPing around are saying that Moonlight Greatsword infused with magic and enchanted with magic, plus powerful magic spells seems to be the most popular and overpowered build so far. I don't really see a problem with pyro either haha, the only spell that I've found myself having to be careful with is the flame swarth. I've gotten hit with it once so far, and it does hurt a lot. Then there's the hex deal too.

oh also after playing with the different caster classes, id rank the spells as hex int pyro faith

faith sucks and pyro is literally just flame swath and pyro enchant, and int can already do those both

int gets orbs, css, soul gs, and cmw mlgs which does something like 780 pure magic damage

hex is still king with GRS tho

also im pretty sure tm is talking about discrepancy between 150 and 120 with 125-130 being the middle ground

His 2nd post answered that. He's just being a fag.

hex > sorc-pyro >> faith in pvp is how I have it atm

hex is only one you don't need weapons for, sorc has good spells for low slots but all are pretty direct so you need alternate plans, pyro def has more than lingering flame and flame swathe. Great fireball is still dope, so are chaos great fireball and great combustion. Flame Weapon is dope as fk. Basically pyro is a weaker hex in that you don't need weapons to use it as much. That's why hex/pyro is so popular. They work together like pb&j.

faith mainly sucks almost all of its spells aren't any use and the bolts are slow but I gotta make a faith caster myself to be sure I can't make it work, fuck the rest of the community. Also I haven't seen anyone use wrath of the gods yet so I can't confirm if it's truly dead or not. Sunlight Sword is dope tho still so there's that, I guess.

I been browsing gamefaqs every once in a while and it seems like the people who've been PvPing around are saying that Moonlight Greatsword infused with magic and enchanted with magic, plus powerful magic spells seems to be the most popular and overpowered build so far. I don't really see a problem with pyro either haha, the only spell that I've found myself having to be careful with is the flame swarth. I've gotten hit with it once so far, and it does hurt a lot. Then there's the hex deal too.

In the just over 100 fights I've had in pvp (at bloodbro arena) I've seen about 5-6 moonlights, not counting mine. It's def not overpowered either, because you have no life or armor and you can wait out the enchant (it's 90 seconds, they all are).

Most common weapons i've seen have been uchigatana (maybe other ones and I can't tell the difference), avelyn, and halberd class (almost of them), then claymore, great club, moonlight, are next group, then a few spears and whips and greataxes, here and there. I've seen pyro/hex guys about as often as the most common weapons, and sorc people about as often as you see moonlight.

havel greatshield, rebel greatshield for shields.

I haven't seen anything overpowered yet. The moonlight complaint just sounds like a weak excuse for not being able to handle something that fights different from everything else. Smarten up instead of looking for excuses to why you're not good, simple.

Yea I don't think I've seen Moonlight at all in the Blood Covenant Arena area. By far the most common I've seen have been Halberd class, Uchi and hex/pyro/faith spellcasters. So far the only thing that's kicked my ass hard enough to make me give it a second look has been that one guy with dual whatever swords that were doing around 6-700hp per hit, but even then I don't know what that was and how he was set-up.

I'm getting the feeling that lot of these dudes on Gamefaqs are dueling around the 150lvl range, and fuck that range. They're all whining about spells in general too but I don't see any of those as being overpowered either. It's like that one time you fought the dude who used Flame Swathe and when you asked him what it was he said it was an overpowered spell. People just love to complain.

ive seen katana and GS users the most

rebel shield is probably the most overpowered even though its not that overpowered. it just makes fights last a really long time unless you carry a shield bypass weapon or have a weapon that can genbust. otherwise you gotta spend a lot of time baiting. shield push is easy to see so its not hard to dodge. also shuts down casters pretty hard since they cant do any damage by the time theyve burnt through all of their spells

so far my favorite weapons are santier spear, sun sword, and avelyn

oh and ive seen int users the most but only about 1/4 of them will have MLGS. most of them like to run katanas or rapiers with CMW

Edited by Bakuhatsu Pengin