Dark Souls II

Kaleidoscope

I was looking forward to open world so much, but they botched it up so bad. DS1 felt more "real". Places were more interesting to look at and it felt like you were traveling around even though you were just teleporting between different linear paths. DS2 took a large open world and made it feel small and jarringly disconnected. I don't like sudden transitions like Valley of the Drake to Blighttown or Firelink to New Londo, and all the connections between them felt too convenient. I would have preferred either a much bigger world with more gradual transitions or a world that was a bit more consistent and less linear. The only difference I feel between DS1 and DS2 map wise is that they moved the archstones to bonfires. The open world thing was kind of done in a lazy way I think.

sudden transitions? That shit was kind of genius to me tbh. Owen do you still got a link to the full map drawn out in 3D? That shit is intense

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike previous Souls games, Dark Souls II is being developed on the PC.

Wait, is this console only?

No?

Edit: Everything I just read said it'll be on PC too, which makes sense since Dark Souls was. I could see myself getting this on PC, which was kind of the plan for DS, but I ended up hearing it wasn't as good as the console version. Not sure how true that was.

Edited by Keanushiro

Quite honestly the Dark Souls map is one of the best maps I've ever experienced in a video game. I know there's a place for very large maps with gradual, realistic transitions like an Elder Scrolls type map, but I think day9 said it best about dark souls. What separates it from being just an overly hard and punishing game is the fact that it features such extreme wonder elements with free choices and very atmospheric/surreal environments. New Londo I thought was really cool. The way they connect is real nice too. I had really big wow moments when I found new shortcuts and realized just how seamlessly they connected the different sections of the world together.

I'll give Exorcet that like literally all the places in Demons Souls are unforgetable, I think its world design was fucking top notch. I hope with the new director for Dark Souls II that it doesn't lose the same emotional feeling of the worlds from Demons Souls and Dark Souls.

This looks like it would be one of my fav places in dark souls ii:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=295272

Edited by Twisted Metal

Someone just told me it was confirmed Lordvessel-style warping right from the start of the game.

I'm not very happy with this. Being stuck in Tomb of the Giants at a low level was the best fucking time I ever had in Dark Souls. Always screaming "YEEEEAAH GONNA GET OUT THIS TIIIIIME" only to be trounced by wheels right after changing areas.

• 3 weeks later...