Dark Souls II

Kaleidoscope

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use my DS3 on PC all the time. You just gotta use motioninjoy and betterDS3. Download Motioninjoy first and let it install its drivers then use BetterDS3 from then out.

Technically, you don't need BetterDS3 if you have MIJ but MIJ has all sorts of backdoors that could be used for nefarious purposes.

Edited by SUMERIAN BLOOD GOD

okay so which allies have unique attack animations?

Felicia, Thomas, Glencour, Ashy Boyd, Schmidt, Lucatiel, and Bellclaire don't iirc

Head of Vengarl and Benhart do

Who am I missing? I've never summoned Melinda the butcher

do any of the invaders have unique animations?

Does she? I've never noticed...I thought she was using the bandit one

idk if Tark has unique moves

Pate doesn't

benhart and vengarl are easily the best characters in ds2 btw, no surprise they get unique animations and are the only doods willing and able to battle Nashandra with you

benhart isn't even fkn undead lol dood literally just said "yo there's monsters here tho? let me get UP IN THESE MUTHAFUCKAS SON"

dood's swinging a whiffle bat and doesn't even realize it cuz he's THAT ill

the sword isn't legendary my guy it's a knock-off, YOU are the legend here

Let him be great!

Benhart is best. Read his armor description, it's the best thing ever.

Anytime I visit Vengarl I'm just like "Dude can't even kill himself, he's literally stuck as a head for the rest of his life. That's heavy." His weapons are pretty good too.

Benhart is so good in his world he's probably the monarch I bet. Dude even gets the mist thing.

Vengarl man, he lost his entire body but instead of dying he attained enlightenment. That's intense.

he's also like twice the size of anyone else when he gets his body back.

and he gets a unique moveset for his scimitar.

too bad he's nowhere near as strong as fucking benhart despite all that

look at benhart go man

dood even throws kicks

You don't know where the fuck to go at any point, the conveyance is horrible, lightning is like the only type of decent magic to use next to some pyros, graphics seem to be even worse and look like some sort of cartoon hybrid, the difficulty is so cheap, mostly consisting of the game throwing hordes of mobs your way and expecting you to get lucky and get through it, and the bosses are either cheap, recycled, or easy.

Yeah, I do think it's shit in general, and I finished the game at the 16 hour count, if that helps.

There are some key factors making Dark Souls 2 a bit shoddy of an experience that Dark Souls 1 did not have.

First, and most important, is that its world design is far inferior. The environments, taken for themselves, are individually rather strong, with cool atmospheres and a wide variety of moods. However as a whole, they're no where near as well thought out and connected as Dark Souls 1. In Dark Souls 1 you can almost imagine yourself exploring this real place in person because everything connects with each other in such a sensical way. In Dark Souls 2, there's an half-assed approach to the world design which rears its ugly head in many locations (earthen peak to iron keep being the most infamous.)

Secondly, the boss design isn't as strong as it was in Dark Souls 1. A popular complaint which I can agree with is that man of the bosses and even enemies are repeated oversized humanoid figures. In fact, many of the most memorable bosses in Dark Souls 2 to me are not humanoid (Duke's Dear Freja, Belfry Gargoyles (which also happened to be nothing more than recycled Dark Souls 1 brilliance)).

Third most important to me is general lighting design of the game. In an effort to keep the game running at a smooth framerate (and also due to ps3 limitations), From Software had to dumb down the lighting of the game, which also affected the environments-- the most important part of the game-- quite a bit. More dynamic and surreal lighting can easily have a huge impact on one's mood when traversing said environments. There was the well documented backlash by fans when they realized the production version of Dark Souls 2 has far inferior lighting to the Beta footage that was used during trailers and demos months prior to the release. In general I feel often times the lighting in Dark Souls 2 is flat and lacks emotional spark. Also with such an emphasized importance on torches in the game, they still have your character emit a magical light without explanation (a mechanic that has been carried over from Demon's Souls and remains to this day.) If they wanted to make the torch mechanic more meaningful they could have done away with that light and/or have darkened the environments in general. Even with my brightness all the way down to 0, I still don't get the desired darkness the game should provide.

Those are my top 3 complaints about the single player experience in Dark Souls 2,but there are many critiques of the game, and most of the points in

video I tend to agree with, but the bottom line remains that it still follows the footsteps of its predecessors closely and adheres to a fundamentally sound foundation, which makes it very hard to be a bad game. The overall themes of exploration and reward through difficulty, and the innovative multiplayer interaction that was pioneered in Demon's Souls still makes it a top tier game, even though it has some glaring flaws.

Basically pretty much all of your reasoning is retarded and you should feel pretty ashamed of yourself. The game as a whole I feel is easier than Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, written messages guide your way if you eventually get lost, lightning is definitely not the most effective type of magic in the game-- far from it.

Edited by POSTER X

"Basically pretty much all of your reasoning is retarded and you should feel pretty ashamed of yourself. The game as a whole I feel is easier than Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, written messages guide your way if you eventually get lost, lightning is definitely not the most effective type of magic in the game-- far from it."

You had me until you wrote this, it's like you're telling me I didn't play any of those two games you mentioned, this game is a total stepback in the series.

The game as a whole is easier? Sure, I never said it wasn't, but I did say it was cheap, and cheap it is, when a game relies on constantly placing you against two bosses for the sake of difficulty and recycling bosses, you know the development team got lazy.

Messages can guide you? Sure they can, but here is a better question, Why the fuck does a game need it's fanbase to tell people what to do or where to go instead of saying that on it's own? It's HORRIBLE design, a game should NOT need a walkthrough or another person to tell you what to do, a game's draw and objective should be EVIDENT from the beginning, if you can't draw those two things from the very start then what the hell are you doing? In this case, the added the warp feature right from the start to compensate for their god awful map design, it's like instead of coming up with a good world they instead decided to half ass it and use warp as some sort of patch, as if it was a fix for their god awful conveyance, it's not.

Lightning isn't the best? Uh, excuse me? What do you call a spell that has unlimited range without damage penalty, decent casting speed, high damage and the less resisted stat in the game, specially when now you have items that can restore the amount of casts you can execute? Tell me lightning isn't good when I'm not killing endgame bosses with 5 great lightning spears, or when I don't OHKO people with a sunlight spear, or when my sunlight spears don't do 1.5k dmg, or when lightning becomes the most resisted stat in the game, pyromancy is the only other thing that can be good, just not as good, but flame swathe is one good pyromancy to have.

As far as dark and intelligence goes, intelligence is really fucking bad and weak, even with a magic staff of wisdom was 55 int I was doing pitiful damage, and for hexes, the ones with staff aren't good either, the ones with chime are decent, they just eat up a lot of souls, and I really wish that Climax hex didn't eat up all your souls in a single cast, because that's the dumbest spell I could ever think of.

And for following the steps of it's predecessors closely? Have you not paid attention to the game at all? This game makes you die for the sake of dying to prove it's point, point being that we're the hardest game around, which it isn't hard as much as it is cheap, and the leading mind and creationist for the game series's development and creation was shifted to a supervisor role for not agreeing to changes in the series, shifting someone like him to a supervisor role is a formal way of saying "Just shut the fuck up and let us fuck your series up" They casualized the game so badly it's insulting.

I never wanted this game to be bad, it's fucking dark souls 2, I should be all over it, it should be a good game, but it's not, and I hate it for it.

You should probably play the game some more then if you think Lightning/Sunlight Spears are the best thing since sliced bread. Even for PvE (where they're not totally useless), there's still better things and things that are just as good to shoot at bosses.

Leaving messages to guide you has been a fundamental part of the games' mechanics since Demon's Souls. Even then you don't entirely need them. I can't think of one instance where I needed outside guidance to help get me through the game. Burning the windmill in earthen peak is about the best example you could use to prove that point about the game shoddily lacking any type of concrete natural guidance for the character.

Nobody really seems to have a problem with the mob bosses in this game. The ruin sentinels are probably the biggest stepping stone in the game, and even there the game provides you with a convenient NPC summon which is one of the most useful NPC summons, and an opportunity to fight the very first sentinel by himself on the opening ledge. The Belfry Gargoyles and Royal Rat Vanguard aren't that annoying if your character is prepared enough. Honestly you could make the argument for horrible boss design for single boss fights just as much as mob fights. Hell, the Ancient Dragon is absolutely the shittiest design in the game, his artificial difficulty comes from the fact that he'll one shot you and has buttloads of hp, but a very limited and telegraphed moveset makes him a super easy but super annoying 10 minute fight. I would actually say the Ruin Sentinels, Belfry Gargoyles and Rat Vanguard-- you know those mob guys-- are actually some of the most if not the most memorable fights in the game. The best example I can think of where the developer said fuck it in regards to artificial difficulty and boss numbers is ng+ pursuer, which just so happens to be two pursuers instead of one.

If you wanna talk about cheap and unforgiving mechanics of the previous games, how about Dark Souls 1's curse mechanic, or Demon's Souls world tendency? There's plenty of others too.

So now I have to rely on NPC summons, see what I say about cheap but not hard? There's something that's clearly meant to be an obstacle and I just get an easy workaround for it.

As for curse and tendency being cheap? What the hell? Those are consequences for actions, getting punished for mistakes is not a cheap thing to do, having 12 enemies spawn out of nowhere and attack all at once is not a consequence for anything, even worse on NG+ when red phanthoms spawn fucking everywhere.