Playstation 4

SUMERIAN BLOOD GOD

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll only be ahead of general PCs for about a year, maximum of 2 years.

I still don't know the CPU specs, but the 8GB of RAM isn't really enough. It's great for today's games, but that's only because today's games have been held back and restricted by the current consoles. If they hadn't been restricted like this for so long, the 8GB RAM would be laughable to present as something that's supposed to carry you into the future. The amount of damage done to games like Skyrim by console hardware limitations of the 360 and PS3 is enormous. I know it's not understood well by console gamers, though.

Anyway, if these new consoles are supposed to last at least six years, they should have been given 12GB tri-channel RAM each, but they weren't. I'm expecting the GPUs to be good. I can only imagine that they'll give us useable quad-core CPUs for the long haul and they'll probably start us with 500GB HDDs and no SSD of any kind.

Software for these consoles and most specifically the games themselves are getting too big to keep them on discs. I'm not talking about GB size of the game either. I'm talking about their data throughput. You need to call larger textures, more model detail, and more mechanical detail about the games you play now on a whim for your CPU and GPU to process. Not wait 30 minutes for it to get loaded off your disc and sent to your processing units. There's a reason we've installed games on PCs since JESUS was a wee little baby. When you limit all your data to a basic CD/DVD/BR disc drives throughput you limit your game. Naturally I'd prefer SSDs, but I'm pretty sure those are out of the question in terms of cost.

My big gripe with these new consoles is that I'm sure they're gonna skimp on the cheap stuff. HDD and RAM. The things they could afford to actually upgrade. Remember, game designers design for the basic console specs in mind. Not for your upgraded specs if you somehow find a way to upgrade your console or you buy an upgraded version. The weakest console version of a set will define the limitations of your games. PC gamers have experienced this for years now because so many developers design for console first, then release to PC later. I'm not talking about controls and UI either. I'm talking about actual game performance, graphics, detail, and features.

I dunno, I look at it as the PS3 having 512 MB combined RAM and see 8 GB as a pretty massive jump forward. Kind of a "If they could do that with this, imagine what they could do with that." Combine that with the PS4 apparently taking a more development friendly path (it's not something I understand, just something I've heard), and it seems pretty positive overall.

I am kind of wondering how the HDD and SSD thing plays out though. Particularly if either console is going proprietary.

Also I'm pretty sure I do understand the damage done to Skyrim; that game was boring as shit because of the dead world. That'd be my take on it anyway, haha. I'm sure there's other things to note but I didn't stick with it. I won't comment graphically because really, there is such a thing as "good enough" for graphics to me.

At the very least it's good that everything can move forward now, yeah?

I too could care less about graphics. I play games from the 90s daily and barely play new games on consoles at all. I barely even play new games on PC nowadays either.

That shitty PS3 RAM is part of the problem that hurt so much interactivity with games that were PC platform originally then moved to console. So much nonsense was removed to cope with PS3/360 limitations in a lot of games. For example, in Skyrim things like one-piece armor and unopenable containers were there exclusively because the consoles couldn't handle that many separate reference IDs at once with their crap specs. The more shit they had to reference at once the more taxing it was on those horrendously subpar specs. Preloading and background processing for more advanced AI and a more realistic world also take unnecessary hits. The gains in game detail and interactivity compared to the gigantic increase in hardware power aren't even remotely inline with what they should be and it has nothing to do with people/developers not being able to keep up. Decisions like those had nothing to do with developer energy or time or w/e nonsense reason they publicize. Games like Ocarina of Time for N64 have as many or more features and interactivity than most new games could ever dream of. An N64 Game. A console with less than 0.1GHz of processing power. Why? Because we mash up shitty console specs with nonsensically overdone graphics and particle/lighting effects and that leaves LITERALLY no processing space for those other features. That's why most console games struggle to even run at 60FPS, if they can even manage that.

If it wasn't for console games hurting PC games general development and giving people a skewed sense of what to expect, I wouldn't mind as much. Some games are meant to be simple, and those poor specs won't hurt those. But there's no getting around the facts that consoles and their parent companies have caused gaming in general and developers to struggle unnecessarily and jump retarded hoops in recent years. The other problem is that upgrading to tri-channel 12GB DDR5 and getting a 1TB HDD wouldn't even cost that much, especially considering how it frees up developers and gives more space to develop more complex games. Especially once we pass 2016. All of this is assuming we don't get an ass CPU and GPU.

I suppose I'm just mad that I'm probably left looking forward to another 10 years of handicapped games that people don't realize are handicapped. I don't really see it as progress. My PC has progressed just fine up till now. I view the consoles as chains keeping my gaming experience from being as good as it should be on console and on PC. It's much closer to unnecessary stagnation, if not regression in some cases.

The developer friendly thing is just from the fact that the custom processor was shitcanned in favor of a more standard one. I think PC developers will be able to stress the new systems a lot earlier than those developers that haven't worked with PC gaming before.

I wasn't commenting on Niji at all. I was commenting on this:

Combine that with the PS4 apparently taking a more development friendly path (it's not something I understand, just something I've heard), and it seems pretty positive overall.

Working with the cell processor is a complaint I found to be common among several developers.

Edited by Rachis

That didn't stop them from making morrowind fuckcool with decent graphics for it's time, but it's true, the tricks developers have to pull off to make games work with 360 and such is fucking stupid right now, low res textures, low poly models, flat models, it's gotten pretty stupid right now.

I know I'm being a shitty Debbie Downer but a good example of why you probably shouldn't be too excited about something like a RAM jump from 512MB to 8GB is stuff like this.

Mario 64 is still one of the most fluid playing games in the world. For its given console it's on par with stuff like Super Metroid. Insane fluidity, freedom of movement, and free-form play.

I will say that of the new consoles, the PS4 is the most attractive so far. I'm still not buying one this year or next year unless they pull something amazing though. They're neat, these new consoles, but relatively nonsense. I would be much better off getting a Mac as I see it.

Yeah, but those fish don't look nearly as good as the CoD ones.

If you want a really good shooter, you should check out Loadout on Steam. If you don't mind paying 20 bucks for the early access then you can play it now. Otherwise, it will be free to play when it releases for everyone. It's got some TF inspiration, but with the ability to completely make your own guns. Think Borderlands customization, but within your control instead of shit being randomized for you. The gametypes are all their own twists too.

Edited by Rachis

I know I'm being a shitty Debbie Downer but a good example of why you probably shouldn't be too excited about something like a RAM jump from 512MB to 8GB is stuff like this.

``3

I'm just saying it (and other improvements) are there, and that it at least appears to be a massive jump forward. There are games I've avoided getting on PS3 because I feel they'd play out better on PC. That's why most of my games are exclusives. The impression I've had so far is that I would be less inclined to have that hesitation in the coming gen. Even if I saw enough to convince me to get one though I'm with you on not getting one right away.

I don't think the current gen's limitations were the reason for the lack of proper fish reactions. If anything, I think that them saying it like we're supposed to be impressed or something speaks to just how fkin lazy some devs really are, or at the very least, how dumb they think the average console player is. Those guys aren't going to take anything to its full potential, ever.

On the subject of indie games, I'd honestly be pretty happy if we got a whole gen of games like Journey, Tokyo Jungle, and Trials Evolution. "Indie" in quotes for those ones haha.