Armored Core 5 Discussion

Lenin

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of cool shit: Take note of the picture of the whole AC, and with the arms - left and right can be of a different make?

I'm thinking it's more like arms are the same, but inside parts aren't so inside and perhaps comprise the whole shoulder section. Or maybe extensions are literally shoulder weapons. The actual arm part of the arms look nearly the same.

Separately, the Famitsu also references several new boosting mechanics; glide, charge, high, jump, drive, and drift. Whether these will sit atop the traditional boosting/movement setup or replace it entirely remains to be seen.

So it looks like we may have to wait to see what's going on with those boosters.

Yeah, I don't know about that. Team play will let the top of the top teabag everyone else into oblivion. I know I'll be looking to get Bato and PD on my team so we can put our nuts on punks' foreheads.

EDIT: Shield!

http://i56.tinypic.com/2a0ajjt.jpg

Teams full of elites against lesser people. yeah. that sounds totally fun. Reminds me of Metal Gear Online with the Animal Ranker team stackers...

Shields. definitely will be putting those to use.

I don't really see it an issue of graphics, but an issue of, for a dozen games AC's boosted from their back without spinning out of control due to potentially massive torques that they couldn't possibly balance.

That depends on the cg location, and what the actual weight is. The only way it could "spin" is to topple end over end. Generally speaking the power output isn't high enough for it to go spinning out of control, as you put it. They accelerations just aren't that high. This also is ignoring the stabilizing boosters on the legs.

I don't think that's a fair claim. At least, not without more information.

EDIT: What Steve said. I just saw his post. He's spot on. Fuck the physics.

Yeah don't worry I won't be elite right off. I haven't played AC in years and my hands have only gotten worse. I'm certain I'll make an impact on team play since I think I can use skills that aren't dependent on physical ability to help out, but otherwise yeah. It'll be awhile. Bato plays games 24/7 so he should be on the ball really fast.

Edited by Penguin Deus

But physics are fun!

The cg for AC's would have to be within the contact patch formed by the feet, or they could not stand. The boosters were generally behind the feet meaning they would create some moment.

The moment of inertia would probably be fairly large around the axis passing through the AC from side to side, but the axis running from head to feet would be much smaller. The AC in the pic above has its boosters pointing to the side, and the legs are pulled up, which would put the cg further forward. There would definitely be some moment around the tall axis. I have no idea how the AC would end up correcting that (don't see leg boosters in that shot, and they generally pointed in random directions anyway).

Main boosters should be on the shoulders and there should be smaller boosters all over the AC.

I wonder what the principle axes look like for an AC lol.

my secondary concern is the newcomers that will join the game. We need to establish ourselves quickly and efficiently to lead them to us. what I mean is the more fresh meat we get the more we'll get outta the game.

my big concern is having newcomers show up and having them just get completely smashed out by people who are used to the series.

sure, experience in the previous games didnt really account for too much in 4 and FA but building principles were still intact

thats where picking up and teaching newbies will be important

Main concern: Balance, variety of viable parts, good netcode, none or minimalized lag armor. REGULATIONS THAT ARE ON FUCKING TIME FOR ALL REGIONS ACROSS ALL FUCKING SYSTEMS

Secondary: Team stacking killing off interest of decent and rookie players alike, developing community good enough to give fledgling pilots a chance to develop. A newbie Corner/ Introductory series.

Screw it. I think I'm going to make newbie vids. even if I'm not that great myself

Edited by Densuo

I think there's a few issues with that logic. The main one being that we're going to be that much better than the audience at large. From experience, there isn't a huge difference between random forum-goers and random people playing. Especially since it only gets easier to access forums/websites that can provide people with information. Lurkers ftw. I know that in general people from forums think they are better, that's pretty standard for any game, but it's not really accurate. Most of the best AC players I've faced off with hardly (if ever) post on any forums. That's been consistent for the entire time I played AC competitively. That may or may not have changed with AC4, idk.

I doubt the people here, with a few exceptions, are that much better than anyone else. More informed, probably...but smarter or more skilled, probably not.

I'll say one thing though, and this was something that I was always really concious of when I was learning to play AC. I wanted my style to be something that made people enjoy the game and want to see more of it. Winning is great and should be a goal, but you want people to keep playing. That's how a scene develops. That doesn't mean throw matches, it just means don't play like a fag and don't be a total jerk. I'm not saying ACU has some great responsibility to the scene to be entertainers, but I guess what I'm saying is just do you and it'll be okay...unless you play like a fag, in which case don't. Even then, it probably won't matter since I'm sure there'll be enough other people to play. People have the option to just refuse, afterall.

Exactly, the only significant way that older players might be "better" than new players would be when it comes to designing. As long as we guide them to the Designs section, we can all help them out there and everything will be peaches & cream. Edited by Griffon

From experience, there isn't a huge difference between random forum-goers and random people playing. Especially since it only gets easier to access forums/websites that can provide people with information. Lurkers ftw. I know that in general people from forums think they are better, that's pretty standard for any game, but it's not really accurate. Most of the best AC players I've faced off with hardly (if ever) post on any forums.

That's exactly how I feel. I'd honestly say it's gotten worse. Haha.

I'm not saying ACU has some great responsibility to the scene to be entertainers...

I love the idea of being an entertainer, though. I also love the idea of ACU being a major content producer for the AC community. Seeing boring as shit gamed up bots playing lameass playstyles will definitely be something I would like to avoid. I generally dislike playing like that at all to begin with, which is why so many of my designs are normally mid-tier at best. Impressive and exciting play will definitely be something I welcome, haha.

EDIT: You guys realize that they're broadcasting it via the FROM SOFTWARE uStream page, yah? FS saves all their stream vids.

my big concern is having newcomers show up and having them just get completely smashed out by people who are used to the series.

That's OK. That would motivate me to play honestly. The thing is not to make a big deal about smashing them. As long as it's all in good fun.

Besides, we could probably let them join team ACU and train them and stuff. Or something.