Call of Duty: Black Ops

Magnus

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's popular because it gives everyone an excuse to just run and gun. I have a hard time not being able to do that myself as holding the street or your own house has become more dangerous than just pressing the enemy house so my goal is usually just secure the street long enough for me to push to the garage and once I'm comfy there I will eventually work my way into establishing the house as my "hunting ground."

Either way the Black Ops maps were designed in such a way that you have to be active around the map. In MW2 I felt like I could actually lockdown an area. My best example is at the park map (I forget the name). The castle was basically my bitch.

I fucking hated that map. It was like Shipment in MW1.

CoD will never be as good as it was in CoD4 because CoD4 was a fluke and developers will forever scratch their heads trying to figure out what the fuck they did right as they continue to belt out progressively worse games on an annual basis.

I coin this "The Square Effect." Based on repeated and progressively worse Final Fantasy games trying to recapture the magic of FF1-7.

FAMAS is the BOPs ACR, Commando is it's SCAR w/ 30-round mags.

Bullshit. The Galil is the ACR. You don't miss with the gun, and it's low power. All of this is irrelevant, though, as the AK-74u is the best gun in the game overall. Silencer+Grip or Grip+Extended Mags is retarded. You will win any gun battle at any range as long as you can clearly see the enemy.

i think he meant acr is like famas as in everyone and their mother uses it

I can agree with this.

Famas =/= Aug

Bullshit. The Galil is the ACR. You don't miss with the gun, and it's low power. All of this is irrelevant, though, as the AK-74u is the best gun in the game overall. Silencer+Grip or Grip+Extended Mags is retarded. You will win any gun battle at any range as long as you can clearly see the enemy.

Doesn't quit work that way buddy. Famas by default will have the rof edge over the 74u with that attachment setup as well as the fact that the famas user will most likely be rocking sleight of hand while you are stuck with the slow reload. If you decided to overcome that issue with rapid fire then you cut your range down even further. The assault rifle's having a greater aim assist range than smg's makes the famas the clear winner in most scenarios. It just wasn't meant to be for an smg to be a superior weapon in black ops.

The only things really going for the 74u is that, should you confine yourself strictly to cqc, the 74u is consistent, good irons, and your 5% movement speed increase. None of these really make it a super serious contender against famas though.

Edited by Rachis

The AK74u has a slow reload?

I'm thinking that rachis meant that as he was comparing the FAMAS with SoH and the 74u+warlord required to have multiple attachments.

I disagree with this. At close range, the famas/aug will beat it out cause they pump out rounds faster. at medium range, they contend with commando, ak and galil. While 74u still has a shot, all of those 3 guns can certainly give it trouble. Plus, doesn't he 74u have smg penetration and not rifle penetration?

Even with Hardened, penetration is pretty much non-existent, unless you play Nuketown 24/7. A lot of CoD players complained that penetration was too good in the previous CoD games so TA made many of the walls and objects impenetrable (even at some open areas, bullets will go to a void [in reality, there is an invisible wall]). For example, steel use to penetrable by LMG with Deep Impact in CoD4 are are now impenetrable even with Hardened.

I disagree with this. At close range, the famas/aug will beat it out cause they pump out rounds faster. at medium range, they contend with commando, ak and galil. While 74u still has a shot, all of those 3 guns can certainly give it trouble. Plus, doesn't he 74u have smg penetration and not rifle penetration?

The AK-74u with just about any attachment is stupid. Just putting a grip on it with SoH makes it unfair at most ranges. D:

I... I don't know what shooting through stuff is. D: I never try that on anything that isn't wood or glass. If I can't shoot over it and hit you, I'm throwing shit at you.

Edited by Brit

FAMAS on black ops feels a whole lot like the last game's M4A1, which was my very favorite even though I used the ACR more. The ACR made me feel like I was cheating so it didn't count. But like the last M4, it has fast RoF, respectable power, decent recoil, mag size, and reload speed. The only thing I can't love about the gun is it's accuracy at long ranges, which isn't even bad. Just not good enough for me to be confident I'd see points after I pull the trigger from across the map. If I can lrn2burst again like I did with MW2's UMP45, long range won't be an issue and I'll have no complaints.

The 74u on the other hand feels like MW2's UMP45 to me, which was third on my list. Pretty good, just not the best because of the RoF.

The only similarities that exist are with playstyle. Like I ran the Famas from the very beginning because of it's high rate of fire and the need to burst fire it at range. It's those qualities that made me pick the M4 in CoD4 and the Tar in MW2. The Famas really isn't anything like the M4 in MW2 because the M4 had a noticeable disadvantage in power, something that rate of fire completely overrides in Black Ops, and was also very accurate. All you needed to do was aim center mass and lay on the trigger. I rarely remember having to really force myself to burst fire the M4. I stuck with that weapon for a very long time until finally switching over to the Tar for it's superior power and that enabled me to start running Cold-Blooded to hide from air support. In Black Ops, the Famas is not accurate whatsoever, making it very necessary to burst fire at even midrange, and it's power disadvantage is easily shadowed by it's rate of fire. If the Famas either 1) wasn't classified as an assault rifle or 2) didn't have the max rate of fire then I am certain that it would not be the superior weapon in Black Ops. The AK47, Commando, Galil, and AK74u are far easier to handle and really only fall short of top tier because of Black Ops bias towards rate of fire. AK74u is just helped out by it's attachments. I don't believe that smg's really have a place in this game from my experience though.

"Changes: Tweaks on ADS raise time; Hip fire accuracy reduction; more gun kick (so less accurate) and slightly slower re-center speed."

Basically they are making it slower and less reliable. If no changes are made to the AUG then I see no reason for people to not just switch over to that weapon. It will probably take a little getting used to the inconsistency of the recoil, but all in all it can do the same job. This is only if the tweaks are noticeable though. Like the AUG reload time and raise time are both .1 behind the Famas I believe and you don't notice it there. If they just match numbers with the AUG then Famas will still be the go-to weapon imo.

I guess this is what happens when you introduce so many weapons into a simple game like this though. This must be balancing hell. I mean CoD4 didn't include nearly as many guns and the balance there still wasn't right. I don't get it. Then again I imagine the effort that goes into tweaking these games isn't nearly on the same level as say Blizzard tweaking their games.

I never found aim assist that big of a deal.

Don't know why I didn't comment on this forever ago. Anyways, if you are fighting within the ranges that the weapons are supposed to then you really aren't going to really notice aim assist mattering. There will be occasions where it's obvious that your reticle is being influenced, but it won't be often. However, when you start trying to hit things outside of your range, I tend to get the absolute most I can out of each weapon so I tend to fire across map when I can with AR's and midrange with SMG's when appropriate, you will start to notice that very smooth and precise movements become necessary to keep you on track. That's because beyond a certain range your aim assist isn't going to help you anymore depending on what weapon class you are using.

Edited by Rachis