Dark Souls

Magnus

I don't really agree about zweihander being the only quality weapon that does good with a buff, in fact I think it doesn't even really need a buff to do some hurt.

I agree that the Zwei does not need buffs. But it does make the R1 combo a guarantee death trap. I also like the Pike and Halberd with buffs, but that's about it, as far as Q weapon goes.

I'm not a huge fan of buffs in general in this game though. The whole idea that you only get 1-3 of a certain buff before you have to call it quits really hurts the idea for me.

Yeah, it makes hosting a pain, but if all you do is invade, it is not really an issue. It really depends on how Steve want to approach this game/build.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was running 31/30 just fine. That was pre-patch though so idk if it still works, but it definitely did before.

DWGR does not work at 50% equip load anymore. The easiest way to get 53 poise and fast roll is with Wolf Ring, Knight Gauntlet, Hollow Soldier Waistcloth, and staying below 25% equip load. Hitting good poise and fast roll is not an issue if you are using light Dex weapons, but it does become an issue for weapons like the Claymore. Also, using buffs means you are at a timer. You want to get as many hits out as possible, so stamina becomes really important.

I'm an idiot and accidentally purposefully killed my blacksmith so I had to start over. Garrrrr.

Here's my new guy having some fun against the gargoyles though. I haven't fought them without the Drake Sword domination before so it was a little more interesting than normal.

The cool thing about the running R1 and 2H R2 is that if your opponent try to dodge by rolling sideways, you can still catch them with the great scythe. The 2H R1 actually has pretty good phantom range and hitbox. The Great Scythe is a great weapon overall. Dark Souls actually has a VERY healthy roster of weapons. The only weapons classes, imo, that does not have good representation are the Hammer (Reinforced Club, Mace, etc), the Fist Weapons, and Whips. All other weapon classes has at least one good weapon in their category.

haahahahaha the pinwheel! That's the biggest joke of a boss in like any video game ever. So many good memories against that thing with various people here on the board, mostly of running in there and killing it before its' even done spawning and then laughing about it over aim.

Might be my fondest memories of this game tbh

Whenever I start a new game, I usually mad dash to Pinwheel, get the Rite of Kindling, and Homeward Bone back to Firelink Shrine. Sometimes, I would make a detour to Nito and pick up the Gravelord Sword before fighting Pinwheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBKIiqUIezQ

Oh, and more important than Rite of Kindling, just getting one of the family masks is worth the trip. Except for Mask of the Father. The nerf makes it useless now. It is kind of funny, because at low levels, Mask of Father's 5% equip load bonus barely cover his 1.2 lb weight. :o

Hey Mike, were you there when I OHK Pinwheel with GC + Dusk Crown + Bellowing Ring + Power Within?

And yeah, Pinwheel is pitifully weak. Killing all the wheel boys before the fog gate is harder. Especially at NG+, they are viscous.

Edited by Honest Frank

Still enjoying the claymore. I'm starting to find it a little slow, but I'll learn to deal with it. I don't know what I'm going to do for my armor, but I do know I will probably need the 53 poise so I don't get smacked out of attacks and will for sure be using the fap ring. I think what I will be looking for is having 53 poise with a fast roll so I don't have to run havels ring. Not sure if this can be done without using the wolf ring. I'm hoping I can figure that out.

https://mugenmonkey....2RlbiwxLDAsMA==

That is about what I'm shooting for. The gold-hemmed is just a fill in for now since it's what I'm using for the time being. I won't have dingy available until ng+ since I killed the gold bro early. I may end up just running havel's ring so I get more flexibility in my armor selection since I will most likely end up going with choices for aesthetic reasons. If I find a way to not have to run havels I most likely end up having to run the wolfs ring so I don't think I have too many choices when it comes to my second ring. Kind of a bummer, but if I end up choosing to ditch the fap ring then it won't bother me too much. I will still be slightly over 1500 life with the mask of the mother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PLNZdwycCY

Edited by Rachis

Hey Steve, here are the poise breakpoints:

21+ poise (for sustaining a 1HR1 katana/medium weapon hit)

31+ poise (for sustaining a 2HR1 katana/medium weapon hit)

36+ poise (for sustaining a 1HR1 greatsword/large weapon hit)

41+ poise (for sustaining two consecutive 1HR1 katana/medium weapon hits)

53+ poise (for sustaining a 2HR1 greatsword/large weapon hit)

61+ poise (for sustaining two consecutive 2HR1 attacks from katana/medium hits)

76+ poise (for sustaining a 2HR1 Zweihander/giant weapon hit)

To be honest, you do not have to hit the 53 poise breakpoint anymore. 53 use to be the norm because the claymore and MLGS can combo with the 2H R1. They can't do that anymore because of the 2H R1 nerf. The 1H R2 combo still works, but you only need 36 poise to not get comboed. The other reason to get 53 poise is so you can poise-stab (trade hits for BS) a greatsword, but I never liked that tactics myself. I'd say as long as you hit 41 poise, you should be good. Anything above is gravy. This should give you a lot more armor options. You can go with something cooler looking like this:

https://mugenmonkey....GlnaHQsMSwwLDA=

Oh, and hitting the 41 poise is important because it also stops Great Combustion. It is pretty easy to combo with Great Combustion with 45 DEX. Just kick -> GC -> walk up a little -> GC -> walk up a little -> GC. That is usually enough to kill you.

Edited by Honest Frank