Dark Souls

Magnus

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the best invasion ever.

I was invading as a black phantom, and have been doing all forms of methods all day. My first was Dark Hand/Pyro Flame with Black Flame on Artorias armor, making me look unarmed, and walking slowly up to people, dropping Help Me carvings.

I lifedrained a lot of people in the middle of their emotes. I also lifedrained a lot of afk people. So weird for people to do that.

Over time, I changed to Embraced armor and just swung around a Washing Pole +15 and switching between Silver Knight Shield and Pyro Flame. Lotta kills, and a few trainers booted off ledges. Much more direct.

Finally, I came to the old 'I have made a line' tactic. A few crossed the line and died instantly, even after suggesting phantoms. Some did get phantoms, too, but it didn't get too far. Always killing the phantoms first. But one line instance was fantastic...

I had made my line and given my warning, and was replied with a feminine ':3 aw'. So the invadee went off to summon a few phantoms, and when the phantoms attacked, he'd stay behind the line. The phantoms were dropped pretty quickly with some Washing Pole and kicks with a hint of Gold Pine Resin. Invadee turns around, and goes back to summon more phantoms, but ultimately only gets the same one each single time. Over time, my weapons start to wear down and I don't run past the line to kill anyone, so I switch over to Dark Hand and Dark Flame, and put on the Xanthous Crown for a while. I get a few compliments for it, but soon I was out of Dark Flames so I didn't have much else to go on.

One time, the phantom escaped past the line and had little to no health, but wasn't getting healed with any Estus and didn't think I'd attack. Unfortunately, three poison knives later, the phantom was poisoned, panicing, then dead.

Took off all my armor and went full on Dragon. Bare fisty right, Grass Crest left. Phantom could hurt me bad, but I could one shot in return with a good roar and a deadly claw. I was low on health, and finally the invadee jumps past the line with an overhead Zweihander which barely misses me. I push them back and give them a good scrape, and they run back past the line, but I chase and break his stability with a roar, then just go back behind the line with a casual slow walk.

The same phantom comes back, and I let myself get brought down to almost no health before dispatching it. The invadee takes advantage and lunges at me again, but this time I'm more than prepared with DWGR and flip right around to his back the second he lands, and instakill backstab with claws.

All over the course of half an hour.

Fun, fun times.

Actually the shot glass was rather large...I think they told me I drank the equivalent of 8 shots of vodka.

I was too far gone to remember how much Bourbon it was besides that it took two gulps to wolf down.

I still suck at PvP, can't even blame my build or choice of weapons on that.

Everyone is downloading a trainer to deal with the people using the trainers for evil. Making Dragon Torso Stone the best anti-trainer thing in the game, since it will just pin people until they quit or shove them off.

Stalemates are so unfun though.

Oyyy, it's getting worse daily. At this rate, I'm gonna need a trainer to deal with people using trainers, too. I can't just be a dick with my Channeler Dance. :C

From what I've seen and experience so far, there's at least 4 new armor sets: Chester's Set, Artorias's Set, Ciaran's Set, and the Stone Guardian's set.

Here's a screenshot I took off the PC version of Artorias's armor set and the new version of the Artorias Sword: the Abyss Greatsword. I'll try to take more pics later down the line as well. Click it for full size.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/twisted_metal_2/artoriasarmor1.jpg

Edited by Twisted Metal

I have gotten three people asking me to teach them the ways of phantom stomping.

I told them to go get Crystal Soul Spear and Shotels.

am i doin it rite

Oh, and don't upgrade DS3 Tool to 7. Its vibration doesn't work at all for me and it doesn't like finding the controller at all.

I really wish I could render at such a high resolution after these images. It's odd that even though the higher resolution image is being downscaled greatly, the texture resolution of certain things (mainly the weapon) actually increases drastically. I would have thought it'd be the opposite since it's being scaled. My assumption would be that less aliasing by supersampling would be the only noticeable effect.

http://www.abload.de/img/1024x720xozqm.png

http://www.abload.de/img/1920x1080ybxmv.png

http://www.abload.de/img/6400x3600ultrasmaa91yg1.png

Any advice for a Cleric Knight build? I messed around with the stats on my first character so it has almost equal amounts intelligence and faith.

Looks like Wrath of God and Walk of Peace are OP, really enjoyed using Emit Force in my last playthrough. They call this game hard? No game is hard if I can still pull the old fashioned "lamborghini that thinks it's a builldozer technique". I switched the Broad Sword out for the Silver Knight Straight Sword, attack seems slower but the range saved my ass. I'm using the Silver Knight Spear more though.

I got the tips on where to put stats this time but in terms of my choice of armor. I used variations of the Gold Hemmed Hood, upgraded mail shirt, and Silver Knight Legs & Arms/ Gold Hemmed shirt, arms, skirt. Mostly Use Gold Hemmed Hood, Mail Shirt, Silver Knight Arms, Gold Hemmed Hood. I know Mail Shirt sucked but it was light enough to allow me to carry what I wanted without having the heavy roll.

So in terms of the new knight I'm leaning toward strength for greatswords and I guess I'm going to have to put some in Dex for Spears. Now about them Miracles, specifically, darkmoon blade vs sunlight blade. It looks like people think joining the darkmoon covenant and staying their is worth it but given how OP and upgraded weapon with Sunlight Blade would be it doesn't seem like it would really be worth it. I want to kill the Gwyndolin this playthrough.

Any advice for a Cleric Knight build? I messed around with the stats on my first character so it has almost equal amounts intelligence and faith.

Looks like Wrath of God and Walk of Peace are OP, really enjoyed using Emit Force in my last playthrough. They call this game hard? No game is hard if I can still pull the old fashioned "lamborghini that thinks it's a builldozer technique". I switched the Broad Sword out for the Silver Knight Straight Sword, attack seems slower but the range saved my ass. I'm using the Silver Knight Spear more though.

I got the tips on where to put stats this time but in terms of my choice of armor. I used variations of the Gold Hemmed Hood, upgraded mail shirt, and Silver Knight Legs & Arms/ Gold Hemmed shirt, arms, skirt. Mostly Use Gold Hemmed Hood, Mail Shirt, Silver Knight Arms, Gold Hemmed Hood. I know Mail Shirt sucked but it was light enough to allow me to carry what I wanted without having the heavy roll.

So in terms of the new knight I'm leaning toward strength for greatswords and I guess I'm going to have to put some in Dex for Spears. Now about them Miracles, specifically, darkmoon blade vs sunlight blade. It looks like people think joining the darkmoon covenant and staying their is worth it but given how OP and upgraded weapon with Sunlight Blade would be it doesn't seem like it would really be worth it. I want to kill the Gwyndolin this playthrough.

DMB does a little more at max than SLB.

I'm almost 100% sure we've answered these questions before. Look at my info thing and see my guys and get an idea there. That's the easiest answer.

Walk of Peace isn't OP.

Wrath of God is the best spell in the game.

Edited by Penguin Deus

Remember, you can get a Talisman that scales with Faith, so faith can be pretty damn useless.

Also, Darkmoon itself is also pretty useless. Once you get the items from the covenant, it's best to kill Gwyndolin, and never look back.

And, if you rock the Velk Talisman, you can also roll a wand and get some Crystal Magic Weapon going and just crush everything in sight.

I'm pretty sure John also has a claymore/sk spear guy. He can prolly give you more info on that combo. What I can tell you is that they work pretty well together, although to be completely honest you'll most likely end up leaning on the sk spear more than anything.

Remember, you can get a Talisman that scales with Faith, so faith can be pretty damn useless.

Also, Darkmoon itself is also pretty useless. Once you get the items from the covenant, it's best to kill Gwyndolin, and never look back.

And, if you rock the Velk Talisman, you can also roll a wand and get some Crystal Magic Weapon going and just crush everything in sight.

What. All 3 parts of that post made no sense.

Edited by Twisted Metal

This is all bullshit. The talisman/catalyst that use the opposing stat are crap for SL120 pvp, which for console anyways has been the accepted way of doing things. You will always be significantly less effective. You have to split stats just to make the requirements for spell access, and you have to carry around and equip more stuff when you already have limited places for handhelds. You don't have to take my word on it, because there are online calculators for this stuff.

https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/catalyst-talisman

Faith is also a major contributor to magic defense.

Again, just go look at my builds. They are almost all streamlined, and proven to be effective, except for like 2 that are kinda retarded (grant and dragonboy). Just about everyone on this board can vouch for that.

Darkmoon Clan is hilarious because it gives you penalty free invasion while in phantom form. No loss of humanity, no loss of body, and you can't be invaded while waiting to invade, and the lower level restriction is removed. Ideal for trolling or if you're a coward. Most people are cowards, thus there are a lot of darkmoons.

Gwyndolin is a loser though, fuck him. Be aware that killing him kicks you out of Darkmoon covenant meaning you can't use blue eye stone or DMB anymore.

I don't suggest running INT and FAI together unless you're running GSoA. TWoP used to be strong as fuck but now it only lasts like 3 seconds and its slowing effect doesn't always work so it's kind of a shit spell, tbh.

As far as GS and spear goes, it's a strong combo. SK Spear is my favorite choice because it has huge range and great damage for a pretty light weapon. Always run it 2H. There are rare times when a 1H poke will work but you're usually going to miss the opportunity switching from 2H while 2H is way more useful. You do more poise damage and have quicker recovery from your strikes 2H. It can't be enchanted though so if you're thinking of enchanting then I'd suggest pike. I don't like the moves as much, it's heavier, and it has a bigger strength req so keep that all in mind. Claymore is currently best greatsword but DLC will probably make others mroe viable. I like BK Sword but it's one of the worst ones, honestly. No enchant, bad R2, heavy, large reqs. I think GLGS is pretty good but I don't think it can be enchanted. I'm not 100% on that. Mike could tell you. TBH, I don't like enchanting greatswords. I don't think they need it for one and they're easier to stall out than other weapons. 2H your greatswords as well.

If you're set on enchanting then I think you should swap out GS for a katana or straight sword. Those benefit the most from enchantments, in my opinion. DMB is usually the strongest but you're locked into darkmoon cov and it can get stuffed by magic barrier spell. SLB is weaker but gives you a more reliable buff. If you want to go for INT then you need CMW. It gets stuffed by magic barrier too and doesn't add as much magic damage as DMB. I think it's on par with SLB as far as damage goes. Be aware that you can get pretty complacent using these because it makes your weapon so strong. It's tough to get better when you're using it, basically. If you're faith enchanting then use darkmoon talisman since it has biggest magic adjust. Tin Crystal Catalyst is best catalyst for intelligence enchants (and spells in general).

WoG is best spell in the game. If you're using DMB or SLB then you should try and fit another attunement slot so you can run WoG too.

I noticed you said you wanted to buff strength for greatswords but they honestly don't benefit from it as much as dex, in my experience. If you're rocking GS/Spear then put dex at 40 and just get your STR up to whatever the GS's STR req is. After that make sure you're 40 END and then you can dump the rest of your points in VIT or something.

Yeah Claymore is overall the best greatsword in the game.

Mike could tell you.

Moonlight scales off int and can't be enchanted - it's dope because it is pure magic damage and the 1h and 2h r2 is useful

Claymore scales off str and dex equally and normal can be enchanted - it's maybe the single most versatile weapon in the game (sans bkga)

Flamberge scales off dex mainly and normal can be enchanted (see claymore + bleed, but I think it was shorter range)

Great Lord Greatsword scales off str and dex equally (poorly) and can't be enchanted (it's dope but it's basically a shittier claymore cuz of no poke and no godly 2h r2)

Cursed Artorias scales off str and dex equally and can't be enchanted (SUPER long and is prolly 2nd best greatsword aside from weird stat reqs to use...so I'd say 2nd to 3rd best greatsword)

I think that's everything for greatswords worth using. The reason you generally won't see the same gains for str as you will dex is because you almost always will use greatswords 2h and 2h is auto-(str x 1.5), and scaling drops to shit after 40 for str and dex...meaning the value of str past 27 drops with regards to 2h weapon use. So what I'm saying is John is 100% right on dex giving you more in regards to greatswords. You will see better gains from dex when it comes to weapons that scale off both equally.

If you're going to use dex, consider going to 45 dex and running a pyro hand on the off-hand instead of either a shield or secondary weapon. Max speed pyro spells are really, really, strong. Hell normal speed ones are dope, but max speed is crazy shit. Frankly you should almost always consider pyro because it's the best back-up weapon on nearly any build.

If you're set on enchanting

The short answer is that if you want an enchantment, you run SLB, and the only weapon that's worth using enchantments on is falchion...but katana, balder side sword, estoc, winged spear, zweihander, and great club are all okay with it, too. There's more to all of this but yeah, if you want a quick answer there it is.

Edited by Penguin Deus

I'd probably put Claymore and Moonlight as tied for first best greatsword. Followed by a slew of others. Cursed Greatsword of Artorias is better than the regular variant, but that's at the 120 metagame, since cursed isn't heavy on the stats in comparison.

Moonlight Greatsword has a slightly longer range than claymore, which might explain its easier ability to maintain a stunlock at times. The artorias swords have the longest range of all the greatswords, but they can't stunlock as effectively. This is all pre patch 1.6, though.

Sometimes you can get in some good pokes with katanas and enchants, but in general enchants are too easy to stall out in this game. Especially considering crest shield laughs at dmb/cmw and eagle shield laughs at slb.

Falchion is nice with an enchant and piles on the damage super fast, but its short range and lack of running poke means it's hard to close distance with it. Luckily its moves are fast recovery and not very taxing on your stamina, so you can stay aggressive with it easier to make up for that short range.

Nah its range is slightly longer. I'd say its biggest asset tho is just its pure magic damage, which of course as you said, isn't as versatile as the Claymore because it requires a specific build.

Claymore does have a nice running attack that's easy to dead angle with and the rolling poke, but I forget what Moonlight's running attack was, I wanna way it was the overhead? Or that coulda been the Artorias sword. Moonlight's getsuga attack I've seen hit more than it should, because of the wonky lag range at play sometimes online.

Winner of the rolling pokes though is Zweihander, omg fuck that move on that weapon.