Dark Souls

Magnus

Sometimes you can get in some good pokes with katanas and enchants, but in general enchants are too easy to stall out in this game. Especially considering crest shield laughs at dmb/cmw and eagle shield laughs at slb.

Bingo.

Falchion is nice with an enchant and piles on the damage super fast, but its short range and lack of running poke means it's hard to close distance with it. Luckily its moves are fast recovery and not very taxing on your stamina, so you can stay aggressive with it easier to make up for that short range.

Falchion is pretty much only good when it's enchanted hahaha. The trick is to get 76 poise at least and just run right at the idiot swinging your falchion to try and get them to trade. Falchion soft stuns 31 in one swing, 62 in 2nd, and 93 on the 3rd, and it will always get to swing #3 before any weapon that can break 76 poise in two swings. You can do upwards of like 1800-2100 damage in just under two seconds (Exorcet and Jose have seen my muslim build do that, for sure, and I think several more ppl here have done the same as well). Once that enchant wears off though...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

moonlight's running attack is the whirl, just like claymore. Basically they are the same weapon except for the r2.

Claymore (moonlight is in parantheses)

One-Handed:

• R1: Wide horizontal swings.
  • R2: Strong forward thrust. (little vertical getsuga)
  • Running R1: 360 degree swing.

Two-Handed:

• R1: Vertical swings.
  • R2: Heavy horizontal swings. (big horizontal getsuga)
  • Running R1: 360 degree swing.

Left-Handed:

• L1: Block
  • L2: Single left to right horizontal swing.

enchanted shotel r2 ftw! lol

Flamberge scales off dex mainly and normal can be enchanted (see claymore + bleed, but I think it was shorter range)

Oh I'd forgotten about flamberge. It's a great weapon but don't expect to get a bleed out of it. They'll most likely die before bleed ever happens. Bleed is still great on it though because it breaks turtles and makes dudes jump around more than they want to. Good sword.

If you're going to use dex, consider going to 45 dex and running a pyro hand on the off-hand instead of either a shield or secondary weapon. Max speed pyro spells are really, really, strong. Hell normal speed ones are dope, but max speed is crazy shit. Frankly you should almost always consider pyro because it's the best back-up weapon on nearly any build.

I definitely recommend this if you're still thinking about that GS/SK spear guy since that's exactly what I did with my GS/SK spear guy. He runs great combustion, g. chaos fireball, and tempest. SK spear is the main damage dealer since it's really easy to get your licks in while staying out of enemy range. GC comes out so fast with 45 dex it's absurd. The way I run it, I keep pyro hand equipped even when I'm 2H with spear and rely on grass for stamina regen. That lets me bust out fast GCs on dudes that try and roll in on me with a parry and also just get fast fire out without it being telegraphed. You can also do funny stuff like toss a gcfb and switch to gc so when they roll through the fireball you can blast them with gc. I've gotten Elton and Owen with that more than a couple times.

Greatswords are the best weapon class in the game in my opinion and I think Mike feels similarly.

Greatswords are the best weapon class in the game in my opinion and I think Mike feels similarly.

Yeah I don't think I can disagree although I kinda feel spears are up there. Greatsword is like the only class that works for almost any playstyle, and no other weapon is particularly good at shutting it down.

Spears and rapiers are. Werd.

Spear and rapier are king of sissy play for sure, which is huge in a game like this, but they don't do manly stuff nearly as well as greatswords, and greatswords can still be played in a sissy way. That's kinda how I'd break it down. I can't really disagree with you, though.

BKGA is its own class. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

COLD BLOOD

I should clarify something. Spear > rapier for sissy bullshit. Unless you're fighting tubby build, rapiers aren't nearly as good at defense as spears.

spear poke-and-roll is the most annoying thing to watch and play against, although if tubby were more common it'd prolly be right up there.

the good spears are like shade in LR haha

They don't combo together. It's retarded. People regularly make fun of anyone wielding two katanas since that's basically the stereotype.

I dual wield shotels to strike fear into the hearts of my victims, though. Since.. most people don't even know shotels bypass shields.

Also, number two murderer on PC, can you dig it.

Some weapons have a parry in the left hand instead of a secondary attack. Apparently several of the knives are designed specifically for that. I read that knives actually have the most forgiving parry aside along with the Target shield but I wouldn't be able to say anything from experience.

Two handing weapons for the combos has never been good, even in Demon's Souls. The two katana ordeal in Demon's Souls was a bullshit mechanic of having the offhand katana's shove animation continue a stunlock. As usual, best to two hand the weapon for added poise damage and combo potential.