Dark Souls

Magnus

Dex blows up the damage by an insane amount on the greatsword and zweihander. I never actually noticed that until last night while chatting with Jose about how to remake this guy. That's why I went with the spread I did.

10 dex->20 dex

528->564 (1 handed)

I ALMOST said no to enchants altogether and went 50 vit 29 dex and 14 slots, which gets you a hefty 584 atk power one handed. The 14 attune would be for great combustion and chaos great fireball on the left hand. That's legit right there. Thing is, if you look at my other STR guy, Giacomo, he's already practically that with a Greataxe, and since I figured my two goals are "be different from your other guys" and "play up the greatsword's strengths" I figured a darkmoon enchantment would be a decent choice. The thing is I was getting good results with 58/18 which is fairly close to 40/20 so I figured I'll stay around there. I'm not using a mom mask like most certainly should because I like the stupid Iron Helm too much here. If that gets me killed too often I will switch to the mom mask, as I feel it would be a good fit here.

I also really like how the greatsword looks when it is glowing darkmoon blue. :/

Sorry Jose, but I'm gonna try to get this guy to SL120 as fast as I can instead of wait to play with you. I was thinking about it after I signed off and I have to start going to bed at a more reasonable time soon to get used to it for work. That's gonna fk up our time to run thru doods together most likely :(

Since I want to actually join darkmoon this time my fundraiser will be in the forest. All are welcome to join if they can, and if you can invade me even better! Let me kill you for extra money!

Edited by Penguin Deus

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to be sorry. I expect not getting to play with people since I feel like I start later than everyone else when I get on.

Since I'm making a new girl (already @ 24) I might play that more often to get it up to par with everyone else. I was telling mike, but my goal is to get that file to be exactly 120 since I'm getting annoyed that none of my files are exactly at 120. Might even make another int one and get rid of the one I have now too. Wasted points annoy me, especially since I could've easily kept that at 120 too if it wasn't for wasted points.

Any tips on outfits for dark sun crown btw? I personally hate that helmet but the benefits are hard to overlook.

I really like paladin armor with the dark sun crown.

Oh yeah I need like every single reprisal you guys got lol

check out this awesome hatemail from some guy named kikentai:

"Dont bow if the only way you win is by "pivot" back stabbing.. might as well join the pussy mobbers."

My response was "gg". I didn't pivot backstab tho hahaha...he rolled into a backstab on his own, all I did was swing.

10 dex->20 dex

528->564 (1 handed)

Demon Great Machete does 636 damage at 40 STR. :(

Oh yeah I need like every single reprisal you guys got lol

Sure, I have a couple on my STR file. If you help me with Painted again (DEX file), I can give you all the reprisals I get from the Harpies before the boss fight. I won't be online tonight though.

Man, painted world is like my favorite level to co-op in. Fun to invade in as well. I think mike is using greatsword because it's greatsword tho.

Ya tho prob the only time I am going to get to play is Sunday night. I wanna play some dark souls.

Jose knows what's up. That's too bad noone will be able to help me get reprisals. I'm prolly not playing tomorrow night so there's that at least.

I did a short fundraiser in the forest, got my guy to SL81. So like 39 more and we're good to go! I might even be able to get that tonight.

Oh yeah a Jap showed me a really good response for msgs too, you just respond with praise the sun art, so like mine was:

[^___^]/

I got to SL 101, but I'm tired so I'll finish the fundraiser tomorrow. 40 levels in a night, can't hate that!

Edited by Penguin Deus

Yo if you want to ring in the new year on a pile of corpses let me know. I'll be on aim most of today unless I get conned into going to a party. So far I'm doing okay with refusing people.

I'm SL110 now so I just need people to help me trade/donate reprisals to my darkmoon guy. I've got 13 on one file iirc, and maybe a few more on other files I need to trade. Gotta get darkmoon +3. Just let me know on aim.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h141/mshernandez182/Photo-0133.jpg

see how different he looks with muscleman build? I hate this game for designing all the armors around muscleman build gahhh average and fat people are so screwed. :(

Can you host a map for me too? For a (possibly big) trade? Which is to say every file I got sending reprisals to one file? If not we'll have to do a series of trades, probably using painted world. This will mean killing the boss repeatedly, as well, haha

You know what too, if we end up getting tired of maxing fools out we should try to get our files all to Kiln. I've only got one there currently.

Yeah man. I'll prob be on later on after ball drops and shit. I can host in one of the two ng+ files I have in a few places. All of the other ones got painted world beat I think. I think I got 3 files in kiln atm. getting the rest to kiln would be cool.

It's definitely rare. I still don't have a trident, and I'm easily over the 200 hour mark, maybe closer to 300.

Gravelords were in full effect in the forest tonight. I fought 4 separate ones.

As usual it was a pleasure working with Jose. We stomped out stupid tomb of the giants. If anyone wants to do anything tomorrow, catch me on aim. I'm gonna try to stay off the game in the meantime. If anything I want to do levels, either ghosting or hosting. I need to get everyone to kiln. :(

Elton, just hit me up when you're able to trade and I'll jump on for sure.

Word, it was fun. I got to rock my rarely used mage. Good times. I'm finally satisfied with the outfit, so that's good.

I decided to make her a grave lord cause I don't have one yet. Good thing those dances don't have a faith req. I'm gonna slap those on and use velka's talisman and see how a 50 int dance with crown works out.

It's definitely rare. I still don't have a trident, and I'm easily over the 200 hour mark, maybe closer to 300.

I second that. Gold Ring and nearly max humanity and I've never seen one.

More annoying though is the fact that the same guy invaded me 5 times in a row yesterday while I get "Invasion Failed" 90% of the time.

I'll be on tonight to trade with Ethos so I can also help you out PD. What SL's are you going to be playing?

I also need to remember to never fight Seath with random people again. I lost Moonlight for the second time because one of my phantoms couldn't take a hint.

Edited by Exorcet

It's alright, I've got a Moonlight on another save that I'm having passed on to my other PS3. The Moonlight I lost isn't so important because it's on a PS3 I won't use a lot. Also, the save is only SL60 something, so you might not be able to give it to me unless you have a low SL character.

More annoying though is the fact that the same guy invaded me 5 times in a row yesterday while I get "Invasion Failed" 90% of the time.

I'll be on tonight to trade with Ethos so I can also help you out PD. What SL's are you going to be playing?

I also need to remember to never fight Seath with random people again. I lost Moonlight for the second time because one of my phantoms couldn't take a hint.

If you get invaded during your attempt at an invasion, it can fail it, also if your target dies or gets invaded too much while you're attempting to invade (this happens a lot with Gravelords, actually), oh and you can quit game while being invaded but before they are in your world. That can fail it too. What kind of invasion are you attempting?

I always play around SL120.

Yeah phantoms are stupid, lol.

man, I was having fun times in demon ruins today. I was trying out the gravelord thing and I get invaded while I was afk. The guy was kind enough to to just punch me to get my attention so I get nervous and kill his ass really quick. I don't do the usual shit talking gestures I always do and I bow cause he was kind enough to not cheap shot me. I go back to the fire to get the few spells I used back and this other guy invades me. he rushes me and eats every single of my hcsm and dies. I bow and leave. Original invader comes back and tries to kill me by rushing me just as the guy that died to hcsm comes back as a spirit of vengance to get rid of the gravelord. I kill the original invader before the blue comes down. I kill the blue and he never comes back again.

The original dude comes back with karma strike and wog and tries to win with that. He killed me when I got stuck in those holes in that descending staircase. Now he's feeling confident and decides to invade again. I kill him two more times before he doesn't show up again. I waited a while for ppl to come back too, using the finger while I'm at it. They never came back :(

Gravelord is fun. I used gravelord sword dance with crown and velka's talisman on the original invader and did close to 500. I think it was 489. Not as high as my sorcery, but I'll take it. I wanna see how much gravelord greatsword dance does now.

Your story brought joy to my heart. My boys are getting killed right now so I need that positive energy.

Speaking of positive energy, I'm feeling the greatsword+dmb(+2) so far. My regular 2h r2 is getting like 600-700 damage on average, and my backstabs were getting around 1-1.1k damage. Respectable damage to be sure. The 2h 2-3 hit combo is pretty much death to anyone with less than 2k hp. I'm still trying to get a handle on the angles and situations for using the rest of the moves, but so far so good.

I wasn't sure if this mentioned here yet, but I think those weapon buffs (resins and stuff) help a lot with backstab damage. As you guys know, buffs don't get a multiplier to increase damage from backstabs, but for some reason I think it might ignore their armor, which is to say you get the full bonus of buff damage during a backstab. Jose can attest to what I was seeing, but when I backstabbed people with the fire resin I was getting like 150 damage extra, which is weird since on normal swings it doesn't add that much (it hardly adds anything). I'd like to test this, preferrably with one of you guys. Otherwise I'm going to test at Sunlight Altar like I normally do. I'll post that all up once I know.

Oh, some other quickie testing I did the other night:

-Dark Sun Crown adds 11.3% to wog's damage

-Dusk Crown adds 22.2% to wog's damage

-Ring of the Sun's Firstborn adds 22.2% to wog's damage

-Dusk Crown+Ring adds 46.7% to wog's damage

-Ring of the Sun's Firstborn does NOT add damage to pyromancy

-Both crowns do add damage to pyromancy (this was confirmed in an earlier test)

that dusk crown ring adds to damage? man, I thought it only gave you extra castings at the cost of less hp. hmm. Might be worth looking into. I don't know how I'll work that in either my mage or my ds spear build. Both rings they have on are essential.

no, Dusk Crown, the hat. Not Dusk Crown Ring, lol. Ring = Ring of the Sun's Firstborn.

I did a quick test in the forest against that first sorcerer standing around, and the results were kind of surprising to me, but ultimately made sense:

Fire resin didn't add much damage in any case. It added 10-11 points of damage in the 1h and 2h r1 and backstab. Nearly meaningless. This is especially telling since the forest sorcerer has a crappy fire defense of 195. Darkmoon Blade added the same amount in all cases, as well (179-180). His magic defense is 255.

So yeah I guess it was all in my head. Sorry, guys. If someone could run a test similar to confirm my results, that'd be dope. I'd also still like to test this on a person, since it won't take too long. For now though, yeah, I'd say I had it wrong and that the damage buff resins really are as worthless as I had expected for SL120 play. I mean, if you get the time to use them, then screw it, might as well, in the off chance that you try to kill someone and they normally survive a combo by like single digit hp, you might just still secure the kill.

Everyone already knows how great the poison resin is so no need to mention it here.

Edited by Penguin Deus

If you get invaded during your attempt at an invasion, it can fail it, also if your target dies or gets invaded too much while you're attempting to invade (this happens a lot with Gravelords, actually), oh and you can quit game while being invaded but before they are in your world. That can fail it too. What kind of invasion are you attempting?

I always play around SL120.

Yeah phantoms are stupid, lol.

I'm DarkMoon on my SL 120 main character.

The guy I'm using now is SL 118 so I should be able to join you tonight before/after trade. It's not a serious build, until the last few SL's no individual stat was above 30. TWoP kills the unsuspecting though.

cool beans, just catch me on aim if you want to fuck people up, practice dueling, trade, or do levels. I'll be home til like 6 pm pst or so.

I should be on at night, too. Like 9pm pst, probably?

Yeah darkmoon invasions can get messed up kinda easily because of stipulations the game has for invasions:

1. They have to be sinners

2. They have to not be getting invaded by someone else

2a. If they are a gravelord, than you can still invade even if they are facing other spirits of vengeance, since those are gravelord counter-invaders usually

2b. If they picked up a red soapstone, you can still invade

3. Just like with other invasions using stones, your invasion point matters, and some invasion points aren't as busy as others

I generally take longer to find people to kill as a darkmoon than as a darkwraith, but on the plus side you can invade like any SL, and you can invade the same guy repeatedly, so if you want to be an asshole you can go to earlier levels and troll people for reprisals. I ruined some guy, thepricewasright I think was his name, repeatedly at undead burg. He complained about lag after the second murder, so I invaded him 2 more times after for fun. I killed his buddies, too. It was good.

You can invade while hollow, though, as a darkmoon. That's a huge deal since it means painless invasion attempts at the Kiln.

Edited by Penguin Deus