• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week's queue of duels is:

noob's super nuclear blah blah blah vs Chodimus Maximus's Face of Bear

noob's HAKAN vs Penguin Deus's Angel Eyes

Ninety's Phil Collins vs TMRaven's Cracker

Ninety's No Omega vs Enganacious's Pin Prick

Griffon's Threshold vs TMRaven's Rad Bromance will be 1st of the queue for next round of duels.

Me and LCC will try to have them completed tonight, and videos will go up tomorrow throughout the day.

Edited by TMRaven

That's too bad because they involved LCC coming back against me when I was using angel eyes and him with hakan, and me and lcc going down to the wire and dc'ing right as match ends.

One of them I got completely obliterated while using Angel Eyes, so you might've liked that, but out of dissapointment over forgetting to save one replay and getting DC'd on another, I used Angel Eyes again to moreso showcase the true nature of the matchup and won properly with it. So at least in the essence I cut out some of the lameness to the vids. Vids of crappy gameplay aren't too fun.

Anywayss vids will be uploaded throughout tomorrow.

Yeah, because in all honesty there's only one way a fight between a 98g quad and anything with high stun rounds and high speed should go. 98g quads aren't very good, in general, let alone against robots like Angel Eyes. The only way it wouldn't be something other than a savage beating is because of pilot error or some kind of lag messing things up.

Besides, we saw a Hakan-like quad vs a much worse version of Angel Eyes already in the last LR FT we did here, and that quad got obliterated to the point that Spike was questioning living. Pretty funny stuff.

Raor, your set was probably the most entertaining of the 4 sets, mainly because both of the ACs were solid, unlike the rest where there was 1 solid and 1 not-so-solid one. The fights were action packed with nonestop ammo flying at each ac.

Face of Bear vs SNUDHPDIIIAE

This matchup was a slaughter. It didn't help that I forgot I had decoys when it was my turn to use the tank, but everything about the matchup spells trouble for the tank. It starts out with an ap disadvantage, and has no reliable poking weapon to pressure at range. The Harpy also completely assures it stays at a disadvantage too. Being a tank, it is too slow to fully dodge BP, so BP really ate the tank alive. From my past experience on kai, I know that BP is a huge tank killer as well. What also surprised me was how different the tank played out compared to mine. Even if it's the exact same thing down to tunes and optionals, spare a Geryon3 instead of a Geryon1, its whole aspect changes significantly. I don't think my tank would have done much better, but I do think Geryon1 would have done a way better job against the heavy. Seeing as how bad the heavy outranges the tank, my train of thought when I used it was to punish the heavy's slow speed and get an early ap lead with G3, but that turned out to bite me in the end, as I ate too much harpy and RM3.

I give the matchup 80/20 in Face of Bear's favor.

HAKAN vs Angel Eyes

We had two really close games that either got DC'd or I forgot to save the replay as. Needless to say, they were more about the pilot error than the true nature of the matchup. The replays that are up moreso showcase the true nature of the matchup. LF71 are bad quad legs, period. Sure they're light, but you can make quads just as fast and agile by using underweighted A2 or Lizard legs. The vids also demonstrate why 98G is a bad choice for quads. Since quads have to stay grounded, they can't get good angles and timings with the 98G like a tank could, so this resulted in it being nearly useless in the matchup. Any 98G shot landed was moreso out of luck/miracle than actually getting a good shot off. Dual HP however, is a different story. It's what gives HAKAN a small bit of a fighting chance. To make the quad more solid, a simple switch to GL and MV on back mounts make up for an all-around poking game. Angel Eyes played and handled extremely smoothly, and I was a bit spoiled off the handling because I usually run hotter ACs. the BIG is able to hit from a multitude of angles, and with less lock on time and ping than the 98G. BIG wins the matchup. I give this matchup 65/35 in Angel Eyes's favor.

Cracker vs Phil Collins

Having used Cracker a while back on Kai, I know what it's capable of, and not capable of. LCC put on a better show for it on Born City, where he was able to evade lock and maintain altitude easer, and nailed a couple missile volleys off on me. A couple screw ups did him in though, which just goes to show how pilot unfriendly of a design it is-- compared to Phil Collins, which is one of the most pilot friendly designs I've played with. Ultimately the speed and presence of BP led Cracker to bottom out on energy, and eventually leading in misshaps that caused for massive damage. Cracker is also too reliant on its missiles doing damage, which is why I lost by a big margin in Military District-- because I couldn't get much damage out of the missiles. I know what could be done to Cracker to make it better, but it's already a complete build for me. Phil Collins is still the complete cookie-cutter that it was last round of fights. I give the matchup a 70/30 in Phil Collin's favor.

Pin Prick vs No Omega

Pin Prick actually surprised me on this one. I looked at the lightweight frame and hand combo of No Omega, and I thought to myself how easy it would be to punish the ST/ND lock of Pin Prick. I was wrong to some extent. Both of us had episodes of success while pressuring from the air, but at the end of the day some key Fenrir slaps and the sudden burst of speed with RS/handgun did it in for No Omega. When Pin Prick drops its Fenrir and gets that super scary hand combo while running at around 500kph, you better have a good AP lead or else you just won't be surviving. I think Pin Prick still could potentially have trouble with early pressure, but the other AC needs to be either faster, have a higher damage racing combo, or have OB. I could tell Pin Prick will eventually run into ammo trouble, so I really recommend another HG under the RS. Overall though besides that, I felt that both ACs were very solid, and it made for what I feel was the most entertaining of the matchups, because it was the only one where both ACs were solid. I give the matchup a 60/40 in Pin Prick's favor.

Edited by TMRaven

After dicking around with defense testing here's what I got.

@ 1563 S. Def (where it was originally), after 60 R2 hits -> 2589 AP

@ 1557 S. Def (where I fitted it for dual 69H hangers), after 60 R2 hits -> 2497 AP

@ 1529 S. Def (where I ended up putting it), after 60 R2 hits -> 2545 AP

LR tuning is whack, but whatever.

@ 1562 E. Def (where it was originally), after 30 Shade hits -> 1447 AP

@ 1511 E. Def (0 E. Def tunes), after 30 Shade hits -> 1200 AP

@ 1574 E. Def (where I ended up), after 30 Shade hits -> 1470 AP

So I ended up -2 shell defense tiers lower, but that's ok because of how the whacky tunes worked, and +1 energy defense tier higher. I did lose 8 kph from weight gains.

But, I got dual 69H hangers now.

I also ended up going 2 accel and 8 heat on the Gull vs. 5/5.

Pin Prick 2.0

EDIT: Both sets of defense tunes put it right onto the defense tiers without wasting anything, which leaves room for the weight tunes needed, and 3 cooling tunes per part.

Edited by Enganacious

I've added weighted skill based off accumulated matchup ratings for the bots me and LCC have piloted through these fantasy duels. I hope my math is right. The weighted skills add up to just a little over 100% because I'm not using anything smaller than 3-4 decimal places out.

I have never in my life seen an underweighted Lizard or A2 that has comparable speeds with LF71. LF71 has a very large load cap and weighs nearly 500 points less than Lizard and nearly a full 1000 points less than A2. That's a very huge drop in weight considering total AC weight of most ACs counting weapons and everything is roughly 7,500 on average. Basically, any quad (Lizard/A2, especially) fit you make, that would fit on the load cap of LF71 just by changing the legs to LF71, will go faster on LF71. Going from A2 -> LF71 is quite a change in speed, too.

LF71's downside is in shell defense and starting with AP lead. That's about it, really. Statistically it's fine, especially for its weight, and as far as breaking goes I've never seen it break particularly often. Sometimes I wonder if you guys really did play with all the leg sets or just used a few. It's kinda like how some of the older crowd doesn't like FG and seem to have somehow established in their minds that FG/FL is some kind of clear cut decision when the arms are realistically very similar in application. Stuff like Gavial and Gavial2 is distinctly bad, but stuff like LF71 is only really bad if built wrong. It's mid-tier for sure. I wouldn't expect an LF71 quad to ever win a tourney, cuz it doesn't cater strongly enough to the metagame, but it's more than good enough for any type of casual play like this.

Noob just really wanted to shoot 98G, I think. I remember I gave him a list of cannons that weren't trash and he picked 98G cuz he seemed to like it quite a bit. I was also trying to get him or Tsu or someone to equip Cerberus that night too. Idk who it was. Anyway, GL+MV would be a good switch. He would be better off switching to 88A/Lizard/A2 if he wanted to do that though, I think. I'd actually prefer to see GLL+Harpy+RM3 with a right arm weapon switch to either a solid rifle or mini-sawa with hangared HGs.

It's safe to say that challenging Angel Eyes was a really bad call to begin with, though. Picking tourney solid bots as opponents for casual ACs is pretty nuts.

Either way, the dude abides.

EDIT: I just remember his bot had Cronus. Wtf. Haha. I told you not to push the lightweight thing so much!

EDIT 2: Oh nvm, that's not Cronus. I thought he was using Cronus in match 1, haha.