Last Raven Fantasy Duels

Mom

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you have the proper frame and weapons, going aggression against a sawa with your own sawa just means you lose. PD's ac has the ability to duke it out in cqc because it has 3 pistols and thus a larger box, but yours only has two poking weapons up front, and nothing really underneath.

The first match we both poked at each other throughout, and I had the inherent advantage, but LCC managed to chip away my ap enough with the handguns at the end. The match was within 1 sawa shot all the way through. The 3rd match he got more aggressive and pitbulled my box more. I also didn't have the luxury of landing as much griffon shots to start things out.

Overall I liked the feeling of your Ac more than his, but that's most likely because I completely forgot his had batteries until 3 minutes in, when LCC had already run out of ammo. His does hold the slight edge, but with a couple pistols under the primaries, I think yours would be about even in a straight up fight with the two, and perhaps even a bit of the advantage. Also, your AC does not need G84P.

The secret level was an actual glitch in the game when the replay loaded up. I decided to let it record the glitch. I wish it was a normal map. :o

Edited by TMRaven

Exorcet's is better in this matchup but not necessarily a better AC. Throw peryton under sawa and wraith under griff and you'll have a better time.

Exorcet's is better in this matchup but not necessarily a better AC. Throw peryton under sawa and wraith under griff and you'll have a better time.

Sounds simple enough to try.

I'll have to wait until Kai (and PS2 disk playing PS3) to mess with the gen.

An archive has been added to the original post to include all of the video results from the fantasy matches.

Now I'll take a little bit of time to talk about my thoughts of the 4 opening matchups and advice for each design:

Matrix II vs Boreas

This matchup was actually rather close. Matrix II seems to have the advantage in the poking game because of the Griffon. It has the potential to get some griffon shots in, while poking away afterwards with AP lead. It also has enough speed and ap/defense to play the poking game rather well. It does lose out in not having any viable hangared weapons though. It made me less aggressive with the Sawa, and because of that I eventually got chipped out by the handguns in the first match and pitbulled a little bit in the 3rd match. The 1st match was anyone's game, as there was a 1 sawa shot difference between the two of us the whole way through. The 3rd match shows the potential Boreas has in this matchup when he abuses the smaller lock and no pistols of Matrix II. Give Matrix II G91 generator, as it doesn't need the extra energy and weight of G84P, and give it some pistols underneath, and it would be a considerably better AC. Overall in this matchup, I say with the current builds, Matrix II has maybe a 55/45 split on Boreas. I think Matrix II was the slight favorite in this matchup, but Boreas is overall the better design.

Killer Mantis vs Smoker

This matchup was more of a game of seeing who could survive longer or with lesser ap difference once they were killed with Killer Mantis. Hovers already have it rough in Last Raven, but the combination of matchup as well as some fundamental flaws of Killer Mantis colored this matchup a slaughter. First off, the multiple missile trajectories and timings destroyed Killer Mantis's chance of ever keeping an AP lead. Without any decoys as proper missile defense, the arm missiles and spartoi were at times almost guaranteed damage. Trading RS for RS is also not a good look for the hover, as it's naturally the less precise in movement and controls. The other things that troubled me about the hover was its somewhat small lockbox for having a WS left gun, and a left gun that didn't seem all that powerful. F73H would have been a nicer fit at FCS I feel. It's overall a bit bigger a box, but the important thing is that it covers more horizontal distance, which I feel is important for hovers since they too cover horizontal distance rather fast. If not F73H, then F69 would have been another option, and you could use the weapon set as a punisher/rusher set just like I do for my hover. The sylph didn't seem to make for a big enough impact for cqc. Sylph seems more like a damage over time type deal if you can get a string on your opponent, while something like HP would do way better on a hit and run type situation-- something which the hover needs more than trying to maintain a bead on the opponent. I rate the matchup 95/5 in Smoker's favor, and Smoker is overall the better AC.

Oh Snaps! vs Air Jordan

Also rather close, as the matches were ultimately decided by blade hits. The glaring weakness in Oh Snaps! was a bad turning speed, which was probably because of its lack of codon. You know it's bad when you can see a night and day difference between turning when looking at the views of both ACs. The matches were wild and made for lots of OBing, missile jousting and blading, but I think ultimately the longer range of the R2 rifle, higher turning of Air Jordan and its overall higher mobility won out in the end. Needless to say, LCC felt right at home in it, and it seems like it was running circles around Oh Snaps! when I used it. I'd recommend getting codon in there first of all, and then perhaps some weight tunes on the core and/or legs to lighten it up some. Getting rid of Medusa would also make it a a bit lighter and more agile as well. I also used pixie2 over pixie3 by accident, and that also goes a ways in factoring into your AC's overall speed. I'd rate the matchup 60/40 in Air Jordan's favor. I won't get into which AC is overall better since I don't want any possible bias on my own part.

Blindside vs Beak

I was actually in for a shock when LCC took game one from me in commanding fashion using the hover against this FA bot. I was expecting an interesting match, but either the hover to win by time out, or Lionheart's AC to win in a route. It looked somewhat strong on paper, but in actual battle it had some glaring weaknesses. First off, the missile lock. It takes longer to get a missile lock than it does me to take a shit. The kinnara/rm3 should have provided a nice big cloud that would be hard to dodge for the hover, but in reality it just took so long to lock on that it times it wasn't even worth it. Also because of the long lock-on nature, it made Blindside rather easy to get rushed down by Beak. Keeping the AP lead for Beak was easier than I thought it would be too. Blindside for some reason felt rather sluggish and lacked the range it needed to thoroughly put pressure on Beak. The first match LCC demonstrated the hover-friendly architecture of advance base, and circled around the main structure with ease, while keeping his distance and punishing with BP. It also didn't help that I accidentally dropped roc2, but at that time in the battle I think I was already far enough down in the ap game that it wouldn't of made much a difference. The second match I had some successful attempts at BP rushdowns, but ultimately lost out narrowly because of some Roc2 chipping. The third match, LCC missed out on some key easy BP punishes, which would have probably made the end result look different. He got caught on a full-blast from kinnara-rm3 and couldn't use decoys for them, and the match was a steep downhill fall from there. To improve blindside, give it a longer range fcs with faster missile lock-time, and perhaps even some longer range weapons. Either improve its defense or make it lighter as well. You know you got it bad when BP is still doing 500 a pop on something with fa legs and hangar only core. I rate this match up 60/40 in blindside's favor.

Edited by TMRaven

I'm not going to post my take on all the matchups since i agree with almost everything TM said.

I'll say that I disagree on the sawa vs sawa stuff tho. I feel that Matrix II's matchup is heavily favored at like 75/25 against Boreas. TM didn't post the 2nd fight because it involved me getting him down to 90~ AP with a 3k lead then running for 2 mins. What he didn't say is that we actually played the 2nd match twice because he forgot to save the first replay. The first fight I won with about 4k ap and ammo to spare, the 2nd you know. The matches where I used PD's AC I had a much harder time with for a few different reasons.

First of all Boreas isn't as fast and also uses a standard core. It runs Sawa/wraith which can handle a variety of different ACs. What gives Matrix the advantage is the fact that it can outpoke with griff while being fast enough to actually rush in after gaining a lead/position and use the high output of G84P to support 2 EN weapons firing. This basically creates an even bigger lead and you're free to go back to playing the poking game for the rest of the match. When playing Boreas against it you feel like you have 1 weapon and he has 2; you're not going to abuse the box size advantage easily since you'll get pegged too much closing in without OB or high speed. What gives Matrix a disadvantage in other matchups is the box size and heat, mainly vs rushers. This is why people tend to use G91 instead of G84P, even though G84P's heat is fairly manageable in this case the speed increase and cap help. Also like I said earlier putting peryton under sawa and wraith under griff helps a lot since you can dump griffon for a box buff and have a great fast damage/heat finisher.

Alright so far I got two matches on the queue for another round of fighting with LCC, which will probably go down sometime between now and the end of the upcoming weekend. 3 or 4 would probably be the ideal number.

1) Crazy Legs: Griffon's Disrupter MKIII vs TM's Rad Bromance

2) PD's VICK RYDER vs Ethos's DOMINANT

Edited by TMRaven

You know, I was looking at the map list in the Kai topic in admin forum yesterday night and thinking about maps when I brought this thread up. I think it would be neat if either the player calling the match out could pick map or the player who's being called out could pick. There's a chance that the player being called out might not see the thread, though, so I figure it'd be easier to let the player requesting the match pick the maps.

I REALLY need to post that Miracle Kai topic, haha. I'll try to get it posted ASAP so we can get map list up.

Man owen, you pretty much just do as you're told, huh?

So obedient. Why don't you name my bot DOMINANT instead? Or is it just mike that has the power to make your world go round and round?

Damn tho mike. Whyd you have to go all storm power on my dude? Uncool.

It is done!

The maps thing sounds like a cool idea, but I'd want to make it so both the entrants could pick a preferred, and chances are one of the two might not be available to choose a map. I think I'll be bringing a decent selection of maps anyways. I would have chosen born city as one of the maps for the sniper battle, but it's pretty harsh on hovers.

VICK RYDER vs DOMINANT Matches 2 and 3 were boring as shit so they won't be uploaded. LCC won match 2 with DOMINANT and I won match 3 with DOMINANT.

As far as the matchups go:

Disruptor MKIII vs Rad Bromance:

The matches more or less broke down into a bunch of firing at each other from close range to mid range, and there wasn't much cover or clock play. There was a little at the start of match 2, but I eventually gave it up to get some cqc action in. The ladon was rendered virtually useless in a cover heavy map with narrow alleyways like Born City, and wouldn't be very effective if either of us weren't rushing heavy with Rad Bromance. When both were cqcing each other, the matchup was a little more even. Rad Bromance had advantage of faster locking and more accurate weapons, while being faster and having a larger lockbox, but Disruptor packed more firepower in the BP, and the ranged presence of R3 was nice in certain instances. If we were to play the matches out properly, I'd say they'd be about 65/35 in Rad Bromance's favor. With the current play we had, they were about 60/40 in Rad Bromance's favor.

VICK RYDER vs DOMINANT:

LCC managed to get a good LX shot on me in the very first match, while I was in the air falling in between OB bursts. The timing was great, and I overheated then gen busted right after, and foolishly jumped while busted, leading to 2 more successive LX shots. This was about the one and only way VICK RYDER could contend with beating DOMINANT. The second match I missed nearly everything, and somehow forgot I had hp on left and not R3, so I was spamming it mindlessly at range. The third match I ran the clock out after I ran out of ammo. DOMINANT is nice, but a little low on ammo. I would have also preferred F73H FCS. I'd give the matchup 90/10 in DOMINANT's favor. If DOMINANT were designed better, it'd probably no doubt be 100/0 in its favor, or a 99/1 because miracle LX shots that make for genbusts are always a possibility.

Edited by TMRaven