Comics, Manga, and Graphic Novels

YUNG MASTERLESS GLENCOUR

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I may drop Batwing instead of tec. There are so many bat books that I don't feel like I'd be missing anything by dropping one or two. Those were definitely the bottom of the bat books I got. Dark Knight is supposed to be complete trash. I'm interested to see where tec is going but Batwing is kind of failing to captivate. I really wanted to like it but it's on the chopping block for now.

Unfortunately, this podcast is making me want to get Demon Knights and Frankenstein so I won't be shortening up my list so much.

No, I know. What I meant to say is that I liked heroes that have to do with the oceans and shit. Yeah, they have different powers but I feel like they could do a lot of with that, considering that it's a whole nother world. Scenery and situations I mean. I kinda always appreciated dudes like Namor and Aquaman (wow, I guess that's it. I can't think of any more books with water or ocean life related powers). Fighting giant squids and shit.

Hey John what did you think about the week's comics?

I read Green Lantern, Batwoman, and Demon Knights. All 3 were pretty awesome. The llorona villain in Batwoman is really wild looking. I need to get the issue #1 for that. :(

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/13/gra...or-thereabouts/

I'm so in.

Oh right. I forgot to post for this week.

Batman and Robin, Green Lantern, Batwoman, Superboy, Resurrection Man, and Suicide Squad were the pulls this week.

Green Lantern was great because the entire issue is Sinestro showing Jordan exactly how shitty of a lantern he was.

Batman and Robin was kind of odd. There's a character in there whose story I'm pretty sure is pre-reboot. If not, then they did a shitty job introducing him. The art's ok, not great. Certain panels are definitely better than others. I'm unsure if I'll pick up issue 3.

Batwoman is so so good! That art is just mind-blowing sometimes. His paneling is unworldly. Mike, you definitely need to get #1. Batwoman is a little creepy sometimes because she's so pale and I think that's good.

Superboy is continued excellence. The art reminds me of Batman: The Animated Series. But better. It's not really that similar but I just thought about it and the faces are kind of reminiscent of BtAS. Strong jaws. I think it's cool that Superboy starts out ludicrously strong while Supes still can't fly in AC.

Resurrection Man is really good. I wasn't entirely sure if I'd like it from the first issue but it's definitely a shiner. His power is interesting and makes for a good plot device as well. The hitgirls in it are really hot. And lesbians, I think.

I want Suicide Squad to be good. I really do. But it isn't. The plot of this one didn't make much sense at all. The covers look really good but the art on the inside is less than stellar. The stuff Harley Quinn says alternates between hilarious and just weird.

http://i55.tinypic.com/8x7omw.jpg

I thought this one was pretty funny. Again in this panel when she shouts "Kung-Fu!" while bashing a dude with her hammer. I like her the most out of the characters. King Shark is good but one-dimensional. Undecided if I'll pick up #3 or not.

Hmm yeah Harley is dope (a personal fave) but that comic just doesn't seem to have strong writing otherwise. Not from the previews I read and stuff. I need to read Franko's issues at some point.

I'm still waiting on the second prints to arrive.

I love how Lobdell is blowing his excellence load on Superboy since he's been pretty bad on the other titles he's writing so far, especially Red Hood. That just wasn't a very good story even though the art was ill.

Oh shit! That shade mini-series started yesterday? Crap man I have to buy that

Next week's pull list for me:

1. Batman

2. Birds of Prey

3. Blue Beetle

4. Captain Atom

5. Justice League

6. Supergirl

7. Wonder Woman

Okay, I'm fresh outta comicon and goddamn I spent a lot of money.

So here's a list of what I got.

Marvel:

Ultimates 3

Image:

The Walking Dead Volume 2&3 (I got both for like 12 dollars. They're 15 each regular. Sick)

Dark Horse:

Mass Effect: Invasion #1

Aspen:

Lady Mechanika #2

Fathom: The Definitive Collection

Michael Turner Sketchbook Aspen: The Early Years

Michael Turner Sketchbook Aspen: The Heroic Years

DC:

Action Comics #1&2

Animal Man #1&2

Birds of Prey #1

The Flash #1

Green Lantern #1

I, Vampire #1

Justice League #1

Justice League Dark #1

Men of War #1&2

Swamp Thing #1&2

Wonder Woman #1

I couldn't find Aquaman anywhere. I didn't pick up any of the batman books either. There were so many I think so I didn't know which one to go for. I REALLY liked Swamp Thing. I also REALLY liked Animal Man. I was also pleasantly surprised with Action Comics. I always hated superman, but I like supes in action comics. He gets hurt, he talks shit and he doesn't give a fuck. I like it. Man of War was interesting. I'm liking it so far. I picked up Justice League Dark mainly for the cover really. Plus, I thought I saw Zatanna, and I like Zatanna. I'm liking where it's going. I liked Justice League too. I was slightly disappointed with Green Lantern. I was looking forward to it, but the art was bothering me a bit. I might look for a different Lantern book. I know they got a few (or just 2, I dunno). I missed out on All Star Western, but I'll pick it up some other time.

I picked up Ultimates 3 for the art really. Story is kinda weak. I feel they're trying to hard to be edgy. like way too hard. I haven't finished reading all of it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. The Walking Dead is an awesome series. Jesus. I'm really liking it. The shit that happens in it is just crazy.

Edited by Ethos

Justice League #2 was fucking AWESOME!

I'm still reading my other stuff. Barely got home.

Batman and BoP rocked as well. So far so great. Wonder Woman is next, than Blue Beetle, than Captain Atom. Idiotic comic book guy did not have Supergirl. Dick.

Wow what a week! I think every single #2 was better than the #1! Splendid!

omg they were so good! Man!

I can't even decide what was my favorite out of the 6. There was just so much great stuff happening in each.

The reviews are hilarious though. IGN panned Cap Atom cuz of "weird" things that made no sense like the anti-body stuff they put into a kid to kill cancer attacks Captain Atom, who also shrunk down to go at the cancer. Of course it attacked him he's a foreign object to the body that's how they work! So good he knocked it all the way down to a 5/10 cuz he couldn't figure out obvious stuff.

Forgot to mention, I went to buy some books over the weekend. I picked up gl #2, supergirl 1 and 2, jl 2, batwoman 1 and 2, huntress 1, voodoo 1, BoP 2, and the walking dead volume 4. I enjoyed all of them. The art In batwoman is fantastic. Really digging it. Although I liked gl 2 more than 1, I think I might be dropping it. Its not grabbing me as much.

All star western is sold out everywhere I go. I was really looking forward to that cause john said it has some watercoloring in it. :(

Batwoman's art might be the best out of any of the new 52 stuff, mang. It's bonkers. J.H. Williams III is like top 3 artists in the business for sure. I think I got him like right there with Frank Quitely.

Yeah drop GL if it's not grabbing you. I mean comics are expensive so don't want to commit if you're not feeling it imo. I wouldn't consider it must get stuff, although I really did like #2 a lot so I'm in on #3 100%.

What can I say, I love watching Hal get humiliated and called stupid.

This week I'm grabbing All-Star Western, Aquaman, The Flash, Hawkman (this is def on the chopping block, since I didn't read #1 and didn't hear anything great about it), Superman, and Voodoo.