Comics, Manga, and Graphic Novels

YUNG MASTERLESS GLENCOUR

So for my 400th post, I thought I'd mention that I'm planning on taking a trip to the local store and picking up some shit within the near future. I read up on Fear Itself and wanted to get Schism but never did, but I'm definitely going to get Avengers vs. Xmen; as much and for as long as I can.

This thread could definitely use more Marvel, anyhow.

Plus only two issues of Walking Dead left before I can get the second compendium, which I hope doesn't take long to come around afterwards.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of us are big marvel fans, is the only problem.

I'm down for non-DC stuff though! I just got the third Okko book that shit was incredible. I'm buying Saga and Nonplayer now too. Well not so much buying Nonplayer as waiting for #2 to get announced some day.

I like the Carnage mini Marvel has out but other than that, I don't really care.

I haven't picked up books in two weeks because I've been strapped for cash. I'll probably have to wait until next week to get them too since I don't get paid until midnight tonight. Fucking 4 weeks of books at once.

IDW? I think.

You might have a hard time finding it in the store it sold like wildfire. That guy's comics always do. Brian K. Vaughn or w/e. Mainly cuz like every single fucking thing he's written ends up being one of the best comics ever written. Same guy who wrote Y: The Last Man and Pride of Baghdad. I think he wrote Habibi too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_K._Vaughan

Okay he didn't right Habibi. My bad. He wrote Runaways tho which ruled.

• 5 weeks later...

I kinda felt like this stuff bears mentioning:

Action Comics #9 - this shit got Grant Morrison as fuck. Totally loved it. I really dug that he touched on a lot of Superman-related issues he discussed in his book in a comic, itself. Easily the best issue this week, for me. Gene Ha is pretty much a lock for great art.

Animal Man #9 - 2nd best issue, hands-down, and could have been a top dog in most other weeks. Butter Baker is the man, and I am really surprised to say I didn't even notice that Travel Foreman isn't on this anymore. Very impressive work by Steve Pugh. Butter Baker is god tier.

Swamp Thing #9 - It was kind of a weak end for the first arc of the Swamp Thing saga...but only relative to the rest of the series. The comic itself was pretty great and there was some pretty interesting stuff going on both in the writing and the art. This creative team is just too strong to really mess up, I think.

Dial H #1 - Fuckin' rad. I had no idea what to expect going into this, and I still don't know what I read, but fuck it. YOLO.

Worlds' Finest #1 - I'm really starting to hate George Perez's art, but this was an exceptionally well-written comic. Nothing to say on that side; Paul Levitz has been doing great with the New 52 stuff. This art though, fuck. I mean the layouts are great, and he kept the cheesecake to a minimum which, as little sense as this will make, I'm happy about, but man I just don't like how dated Perez's style looks. I don't really like his faces either.

Stormwatch #9 - It was interesting, and there was some neat stuff going on in the story but the dialogue got a little clunky at the end, and the art, as usual, can be inconsistent. At the least, it IS getting more consistent by the issue. Slowly but surely.

Earth 2 #1 - Pretty fuckin' rad, and I wasn't expecting that. I don't want to get into this series but there were so many cool ideas going on here that it's hard to say no. And when you got Nicola Scott doing the art...well shit man, gotta give it a shot, right?

So yeah I plan to buy the next issue of everything, but Stormwatch and Swamp Thing continue to float at the edge, not quite on my chopping block but entertaining the possibilty. If I decide things NEED to get cut, those two are the first to go.

I agree with all that except on World's Finest. I didn't think the art was phenomenal or anything but it didn't bother me enough to notice it. It was just lackluster.

Teen Titans finally makes some goddamn sense. It and that Culling annual were really good. I'll have to pick up Legion Lost #9 since I think it's part 3 of the thing. I think it's Teen Titans Annual is part 1, superboy #9 is part 2, leglost #9 is part three, and then next TT is the end.

I'm good off Teen Titans although the gay guy is pretty dope.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1328898931.jpg

That's a shit cover, man.

and for updated: http://www.comicbook...review&id=12258

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/68ce9f7i12258/prv12258_pg2.jpg

The nose structure, age, and weight of our two heroines change panel to panel! That ain't right mang.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/68ce9f7i12258/prv12258_pg3.jpg

The 3rd to last panel, the faces bug me. There's no sense of motion in the action panels.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/68ce9f7i12258/prv12258_pg4.jpg

again the motion is no good, here. Ditto on Helena's face in that first panel. WTF she isn't about to fellate the guy's nose so why draw it that way?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/68ce9f7i12258/prv12258_pg5.jpg

I'll give you this cover is worse than the first one, though. The covers already revealed all suck, too. It's gonna be one of those things like Birds of Prey, I bet. The covers suck ass but the comic is great. At least BoP covers are dope now though.

You know what it is too, about the motion that bugs me? It does that thing where you show an action and the amount of dialogue occurring doesn't sync up with what's being said. So it doesn't make sense chronologically speaking. That happens here and that bugs me. Old comics did it more, and Perez is like one of the oldest in the field so makes sense he'd still do it that way.

Edited by Penguin Deus

Transmetropolitan, the Dark Horse Conan series pre-issue six, and (somewhat shamefully) Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Oh, and The Goon. And a Psylocke one-off.

I find comics without superheroes are the best kind. I.E. Transmet, Conan, the Goon are my favorites. I enjoy mainly those more trail-blazing types that start somewhere original from scratch with an idea that challenges the reader.

though as far as superhero stuff goes I've read my share and

planet hulk the animated movie isn't too bad. it really bothers me how obvious it is that Marvel mass-producing these animated movies sets the quality bar so low on the animation. It is so much less detailed than other animated shows, and has such a shitty frame count. gwahhhh

but yeah non-superhero comics rule

• 1 month later...

The inconsistency between artists on the same book is a little irking. Most of the time Hope Summers of this AvX silliness is another Marvel comic book broad with over sexualization 'n all, especially when she's only supposed to be 16.

All the other times she looks how I'd expect a thirteen yr old to look. It wouldn't bother me if it was across different titles, but it's not.

Guess I'll have to start paying attention to artists to see who I like and who I don't.