Dark Souls II

Kaleidoscope

I too am with Owen on this. Not only was the giant map continuous, minus Anor Londo, Archives, Painting, and the Past, but they also hid things throughout the entire world. Like, someone of The Moonlight from Demon's Souls... You hear about how he's a knight of legend, and he went to the swamp... And all you find is his sword in a huge mess of slugs.

Something similar happens in Dark Souls, the legend of Tarkus. However, you actually /see/ him bash his way through to Anor Londo. Canonically, the only other knight to ever ring both bells and pass into Anor Londo. Only to find his path blocked by having to balance around on tiny little beams high atop the chapel. And so, in his heavy armor, he fell, and died, huddled into a corner.

If it wasn't for Tarkus, that window wouldn't have been smashed, either.

So sad...

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will it still operate in the same MO?

Meaning, is it basically another re-hash?

Dark Souls wasn't a rehash of Demon's Souls. Demon's Souls was one of the greatest games I've ever played, and Dark Souls somehow destroyed that.

Honestly bro asking questions like this is useless, we won't be able to say anything worth a damn until like 2-3 weeks after the game is out. It's all going to be totally meaningless (and probably downright false) conjecture until we get our hands on it and break it down. That's how it was with the last two games.

From what I have watched so far, I am glad that backstabs is no longer to go-to way to kill every human sized enemy. The way the turtle-backed monster drops backwards was pretty funny. It also seems dual wielding is finally usable again, as you can perform combos. Overall, I like what I see so far.

This is the kind of stuff I'm saying to ignore for now. :)

No disrespect Elton you still my nigga *daps*

Edited by Penguin Deus

From a logistical standpoint, yeah Dark Souls was a more fluid experience. However, for whatever reason I didn't enjoy fighting the monsters in Dark Souls as much as I did the ones in Demons Souls. I think Dark Souls was overall and easier game to Demon's as well. There are a quite a few monsters and bosses in Dark Souls that don't take a lot of effort or trial/error to defeat and I never got that feeling from Demons.

I'm hoping DS2 has more variation in the enemies that show up and that the end game areas are harder.

I don't know though. Guess I just don't have all that much love for Dark Souls compared to it's predecessor. A part of it may stem from the horrid PvP. I had more luck in Demon's than in Dark. Not sure why.

Edited by Rachis

I'm sure a lot of the reason why I think Dark Souls is the harder of the two games is because my first day on Dark Souls I was sick with a fever, and a lot of my playthrough with Demons Souls was with PD, but there's also the fact that in Demons Souls you could get as much healing items as you wanted, and healing itself was rather instant in comparison. Also the fact that most of the bosses were easily cheesed. Granted, if you played in human form and kept dying to get your world tendency blacker and blacker, I could see Demons Souls being harder. I was usually in soul form though.

From Software said at least that they made Dark Souls harder than Demons Souls, so there's that.

Well I never cheesed. I was pretty terrible at Demons Souls too. I've developed a lot over the past couple years as a gamer so it's more likely that my own personal progression has had a lot more to do with the difference in experience than the games themselves.

Either way, some of the monsters and the areas in DS2 still give me a DeS feeling which is what I was referring to in the first place.

I could have done with less sun in Dark Souls-- except for the areas where it's gloriously emphasized (anor londo). Even the open-skied areas in Demons Souls were grayed out with gloomy overcast atmospheres like Boletaria and Shrine of Storms-- or they were just plain night like in Latria.

The sunken city in the DLC for Dark Souls is one of my favorite atmospheres, because it's this gloomy lighting that gets darker and darker as you venture down deeper where the city progressively gets swallowed by the abyss. The painted world is great for its dark environment and snow too.

Seeing the wind effects move those banners around in the Dark Souls II gameplay on the approach to the bridge leading to the Mansion of Dragons was siiick. I would love to see some gloomy weather affects with rain-- in like a plague infested ruin like blightown. At least, blightown-eque environments were in both demons souls and dark souls, I really hope it makes a comeback in dark souls 2!

By more accessible, I believe the developers have indicated that they will be revealing more of the story early on, your purpose, and how to play the game instead of just dropping you into it. Nothing, that I know of, has been said about the game being made easier than previous games in this franchise.

Yeah, listening through their interviews and comments, it seems as though they're very deadset on keeping the same kind of difficulty and lore aspects, with a background story that you have to figure out for yourself.

By accessible I also think that they mean giving you more information on the game mechanics and etc early on. Dark Souls didn't really tell about the humanity/kindling mechanic that much and so on. From Software is also responding to critique about the interface as well.

In other news, From Software has said that Dark Souls II will be for current generation consoles, and has considered porting it for next generation consoles, but isn't doing so at this time, as they said it would consume too much time. Unlike previous Souls games, Dark Souls II is being developed on the PC.

Edited by Twisted Metal

a background story that you have to figure out for yourself.

I dug this in the past games cuz it's like yeah there's a ton of story if you care, but you try and figure it out cuz we throw shitloads of hints, but if you don't really care fuck it we wont waste your time FAGGOT

It's an interesting way to do things

fuck buzzwords that's why I hate discussing mechanics n shit before I have the game in my hands

Dark Souls is a way better single player experience. The unified, continuous map was a major improvement in that aspect.

I was looking forward to open world so much, but they botched it up so bad. DS1 felt more "real". Places were more interesting to look at and it felt like you were traveling around even though you were just teleporting between different linear paths. DS2 took a large open world and made it feel small and jarringly disconnected. I don't like sudden transitions like Valley of the Drake to Blighttown or Firelink to New Londo, and all the connections between them felt too convenient. I would have preferred either a much bigger world with more gradual transitions or a world that was a bit more consistent and less linear. The only difference I feel between DS1 and DS2 map wise is that they moved the archstones to bonfires. The open world thing was kind of done in a lazy way I think.