Armored Core: Verdict Day Discussion

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but you didn't HAVE to play with other people to get the most out of AC4. ACV MUST HAVE a lot of people online for it's system to work. The balance in the game also makes 1v1 an inferior game type. So yeah, who cares about Sega because they didn't have a whole lot of responsibility to keep AC4 going. Whereas, Namco really needed to step up to keep ACV alive and they straight ignored us.

hahahahahahaha

Fk, I can't even laugh. It's too perfect of a troll post. I mean, Agetec was awful, so he has to be joking; but Pen's shtick is that he holds AC above everything else and wouldn't ever joke about it.

I for one actually liked Sega's treatment of the series. They got more community involved. I got a mini-figure from them for free! I couldn't speak to their online support though.

Noob, maybe it is a fantastic idea for Japan(I think the Japanese will like anything new), but I think you overstress the necessity or advantages you get from a team balanced game.

I understand that ACV FORCES you to work as a team, but in a game of 1v1 balance that allows for team play, the team who uses cohersive team tactics will ALWAYS be stronger by margins, that one that doesn't. And just because a game is balanced for 1v1, where each AC type in on par strategiclly against all others, doesn't mean that the skills accociated with each type are all the same. I know you wish to say that its the rock paper scissors element that is stressed so much in a team based game that makes the in game decision making so emphasised, whereas in a 1v1 game you are not forced.

But is a team based game really a good idea for AC in the long run? Why can't we have team orientation by having lots of team options while not screwing everyone else over and keep the balannce 1v1?

In a 1v1 game you can have the option to play teams or 1v1 and in any combination. In ACV it is so ridgid that you have no choice but to not only play teams, but play with a certain number of people or you throw off the balance. Seriously that's not very flexible is it?

Oh ok ya. I can agree with that then. Goes back to my 'ultimate control' thing with oldschool ac boosting vs current ac. I feel like a sitting duck without cover in ac4 onwards without cover compared to old ac.

I think I was saying that you didn't absolutely have to use the cover then whereas now you kinda do. If the current games had as much cover as the old games then...fuck.

There is truth to this insofar as now you necessarily have to use cover (ACV).

But I disagree with the idea that cover is optional in AC4 in its entirety. It's not that I disagree that there are mechanics in place that allow you to play the game without cover and not be subjected to a damage race. Obviously we have covered the fact that you can play AC4 in a stage without cover and the mechanics allow you to get along.

What I disagree with is the idea that in stages where cover is present, that you really have an option to not use cover that is strategicly equal to the player who does use cover. THAT is where I want to make my point. A person who uses cover will ALWAYS have the distinct advantage over the person who does. This is not trivial, it makes the diference between winning or losing in more than one way.

I know it's a subtle point, but I think it is an important one to this discussion.

Oh ok ya. I can agree with that then. Goes back to my 'ultimate control' thing with oldschool ac boosting vs current ac. I feel like a sitting duck without cover in ac4 onwards without cover compared to old ac.

But see, your sentence in bold is not true TM. In AC4, in maps where you had no cover, for example; the boost mechanics allow you to get along and avoid weapon fire. It takes skill, and it isn't easy, but the methods exist and are reliable.

What I disagree with is the idea that in stages where cover is present, that you really have an option to not use cover that is strategicly equal to the player who does use cover.

Yeah no shit. I never said that you didn't need to use cover in AC4. I was implying that then = pre-AC4 and now = post-AC4. TM understood. You should now too =)

I lived by cover in AC4 unless I was damage racing with Pete. Here's a couple examples if you don't believe me. This was back when rifle stun fucked LW's. This dude was cocky was fuck thinking that I was garbage at that game when the truth was Pete, myself, Redrummurder, and a couple others at that particular time were way ahead of a lot of players. I think this was before you really came into your own as well exogen and before ultibreaker's cocky self as well. Although, at least ultibreaker backed it up for awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KG25-e-IoY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0U-FC8qXc

Edited by Rachis