Armored Core 5 Discussion

Lenin

Well, it's team oriented and you can install defensive turrets and weapons batteries in your territory. Really tight balance won't be sucha big issue in that setting besides stuff that is incredibly strong (which is typically easy to spot and rectify). The bigger worry will probably be lag issues. 8 AC's on any given map at once with a number of NPC units around (turrets, mt's, etc) + 2 Operators getting a constant feed for that + Voice chat being almost required. It'll be quite the game, I suppose.

We'll see once it releases in Japan. I'll be importing and recording the entire game in HD then uploading to youtube, as well has having a few other chums from ACU importing so we can set up an ACU team for taking territory. You should get to see quite a bit of gameplay then.

Hope it works!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bigger worry will probably be lag issues. 8 AC's on any given map at once with a number of NPC units around (turrets, mt's, etc) + 2 Operators getting a constant feed for that + Voice chat being almost required. It'll be quite the game, I suppose.

Or: Their voice-chat will take the Chromehounds route, with pre-selected messages. Perhaps there will be no voice chat at all, and only the Operator can send out messages of what needs to be done.

Now that would be interesting, and easy on that side of the bandwidth.

Or: Their voice-chat will take the Chromehounds route, with pre-selected messages. Perhaps there will be no voice chat at all, and only the Operator can send out messages of what needs to be done.

Now that would be interesting, and easy on that side of the bandwidth.

Possibly, but they did specifically use the term "voice chat", so not quite probable I think. Not to mention with the potential size of the maps and limitless possible scenarios, you'd either need an ungodly amount of pre-selected messages and getting to them would be a chore, or have fewer but they'd be far to vague to be much use.

I'm not sure if this picture is of a cannon or a backup hand weapon. Anyway, here's a potential cannon for you Griff!

Yeah, that was one of the pics I scrutinized pretty heavily (too much damn free time). Given the angle of the shot, it's pretty impossible to tell. It certainly looks like it could be either back-mounted or attached to the back of the shoulder.

A bit more worrying for the prospect of back weapons however, is if one looks at the concept art, I can't seem to find any back-mount attachment points. Sure hope I'm wrong though.

http://i.imgur.com/PGThv.jpg

Edited by Griffon

I think I would sorta like to see a large number of parts just so there won't be so many cookie-cutter designs, but it really depends on how well they are balanced.

All we need is an AC4 reg process. AC4 1.0 was the least balanced game ever. AC4 1.6 was the most balanced game ever. Granted, they should try to balance it out of the box, but missing that goal is acceptable.

Well, it's team oriented and you can install defensive turrets and weapons batteries in your territory. Really tight balance won't be sucha big issue in that setting besides stuff that is incredibly strong (which is typically easy to spot and rectify). The bigger worry will probably be lag issues. 8 AC's on any given map at once with a number of NPC units around (turrets, mt's, etc) + 2 Operators getting a constant feed for that + Voice chat being almost required. It'll be quite the game, I suppose.

All we need is the ability to place zero turrets, mute the operator, and invite only one other guy to the match.

I'm not sure if this picture is of a cannon or a backup hand weapon. Anyway, here's a potential cannon for you Griff!

http://armoredcoreuniverse.net/forum/index...=si&img=707

Yeah, I'm definitely getting a grasp for the scale of this game.

In AC4 you could easily crush a bridge path with your huge AC, but now it seems like you'll be sharing traffic with cars.

All we need is an AC4 reg process. AC4 1.0 was the least balanced game ever. AC4 1.6 was the most balanced game ever. Granted, they should try to balance it out of the box, but missing that goal is acceptable.

Yes, absolutely. The regulations was one of the cooler features I really enjoyed seeing in AC4. I'd be surprised if they didn't employ the same process for AC5.

it's taking on the Mechwarrior style of play IMO.

It might be worth looking into either TS3 or Ventrillo for organizing your teams so that communications will be easier. Unless psn and live have that option already.

I was telling Niji one night that it will be interesting to see people play in a squad, and see how many actually get shot in the back by their own team for crossing paths at the wrong time.

This.

As long as FROM keeps their head straight about it. We need a system of incremental changes fixing balance problems, and ignoring the compulsion to pull some ACfA 1.10 > 1.20 style regulation updates in which the way the game is played is drastically changed.

And the updates need to be released as patches and not the regulations. Which I think they'll already do. Nabeshima talked about keeping options of online game modes restricted so as to not fracture the online community. Using the free-switching regulations so people can play the launch-day game, or the game as it was on the third patch, whatever, will only fracture the community. Like ACfA with 1.20. 1.30 came out and a fuckton of dumbshits flocked back to 1.20 because building a competitive design took zero brainpower.

All in all, I'm looking forward to this game... and it will pretty much replace every other game for me. Unless 1v1s are completely done away with, in which case I probably won't play it as much as I would have otherwise.

Then again, I played AC mostly for the satisfaction of designing a functioning mech of death rather than any competitive aspect, so it might still be like crack to me if the customization is on par with pre-AC4/fA titles.

I'm not against team play. I was part of some AC4 leagues, and had my own team. What I am against is doing away with 1 v 1 fighting.

From what I've heard in the Game Spot review, it sounds like they are keeping competitive play and the new team based type story thing, but nothing solid on that. I'm with you here though. I like having 1v1 matches where all that matters is your skill.

I'm getting a real sense of nostalgia looking at some of the images posted on the website. Without over-thinking it, I actually feel like I'm looking at a revamped AC1-era game. Everything just appears so industralised as opposed to post-apocalyptic.

Which I love!

Which I love!

Same here.

I feel like I'm playing Armored Core 2-Silent Line all over again just looking at some of these screens.

If they don't half ass it, I can just imagine machines clanging in the background, like in a shipping yard. Don't see enough shipping yard missions in AC.