Fallout: New Vegas

Vincent210

Fallout is win. New Fallout should be more win. We have "Hardcore Mode", an option to be tagged on to any difficulty level oddly enough, that gives ammo weight, forces you to drink (and maybe eat/sleep) to survive, and changes stimpaks from an immediate heal to an over time heal. IMO that gives the game some legitimate challenge, since on F3 I can just spam my stimpak hot key and I'm invincible on my +600 supply. Also, NPCs-For-Hire have quests and back-stories to add depth to a game with so much depth that turning on the game hides the sun. It has a Collector's edition that comes with custom poker chips and a Fallout New Vegas Poker Card Deck, as well as some other stuff, adding a total of $20 to the price tag.

I don't know much about the factions yet, but I DO know that you not only have a karma meter this time around, but your impression on individual factions is keep track of as separate meters.

And I know that the slavers are now skirt-wearing Romans.

Trailer for the Hell of it

Edited by Vincent210

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardcore mode, that one one I knew but forgot to mention. It's odd because it can be added to any game difficuty level, creating oxymorons like "Very Easy Hardcore Mode". Basically your not a robot anymore and have to eat, sleep, and drink or you die. That and stimpaks get nerfed.

Yah, Hardcore mode just means your character has to drink water on a regular basis. The other major change in Hardcore mode is a changed Stimpack application. Stimpacks now heal over time instead of instantly, meaning that you can't use them just as you're about to die. What you can do, however, is use a whole bunch at once and create a very fast healing character for a certain duration of time.

Assuming that Stimpacks and Water are harder to come by, the system will be very useful and creative as it discourages waste and encourages proper thinking ahead of time. If it's not implemented right it'll just end up being a joke system, though. Either way, it doesn't hurt since it's disableable. If it sucks, turn it off. If it's cool, turn it on.

Also, to further that whole encourage thinking ahead of time (planning ahead) Hardcore mode makes all your ammo have weight. No more carrying around 6,000 MG bullets and 24 mini-nukes, along with 2k+ of every other ammo type. Haha. Gotta pick what you want. It means using large weapons, or keeping them in reserver will be more difficult. I suggest finding light weapons with light ammo.

The ammo thing is hardly a threat, though. Melee and Unarmed were so insanely strong in F3 that it was kind of disappointing at times. One of the most unsatisfying playthrus I ever did was unarmed only. Way too easy. Heck, even at a non-cheesy level the combat knife was one of the single most reliable weapons in the game.

They should bring back stimpack addiction. Healing over time is probably not going to be as scary as it sounds.

Edited by Colon Mokto

Healing over time is probably not going to be as scary as it sounds.

That was the problem with Diablo II. They changed it the same way from Diablo I, but it ended up not changing much at all. I think it'll work better in F3, but I don't see it being difficult. That's my problem with the whole "you need to drink water to live" thing, too. It feels like it'll be more of a chore than a challenge.

That was the problem with Diablo II. They changed it the same way from Diablo I, but it ended up not changing much at all. I think it'll work better in F3, but I don't see it being difficult. That's my problem with the whole "you need to drink water to live" thing, too. It feels like it'll be more of a chore than a challenge.

people are hyping

drinking water is going to be a chore, video games cant replicate stuff that you need to feel from your nerves

probably going to be something like, look at a hud display "you need water" during something important then you go "fuck this shit" and turn hardcore mode off.

of course drinking water would be cool for the first couple days

atleast it wont be as annoying as people calling you 24/7 to "go play some pool" while robbing a bank

atleast it wont be as annoying as people calling you 24/7 to "go play some pool" while robbing a bank

Niko! My cousin! Did you see those titties in there?! I could have covered them in butter and syrup and had them for breakfast!

I was so happy when I found that putting your phone on silent stopped people from calling you to do shit. You still had to remember to make an effort towards friendships you wanted to maintain but you didn't get that automatic loss of bro-love that happens if you don't answer their call. San Andreas did it better, in my opinion. Relationships actually took more work and the whole hunger system wasn't that intrusive but actually had an impact on your character's physique, which I thought was cool. GTAIV did away with a lot of cool stuff that SA introduced.

New Vegas's method doesn't really sound good to me. Even if they remove the abundant purified water you got, there's still toilets and sinks and water fountains and puddles and stuff like that. I guess that would make Rad-Away slightly more important (read: suddenly has a use). You know, I'm willing to bet that the fact that you can turn it off and on means that the actual maps will be the same regardless of whether you're playing with hardcore or not. If so, then you have the problem of balancing water access between the modes. Is water still an instant heal or is it over time like the stimpacks? If it's still instant then that's just another weird little dynamic that hardcore brings up. To be honest, the whole thing kind of feels like an afterthought that they just decided to tack on for this. Maybe it's a surreptitious beta-test for the next Bethesda joint. We'll see how it plays out, I guess!

Bethesda?????

I thought you all heard Obsidian, who is made up of Black Isle, is making New Vegas and just using Bethesda's engine! How silly of you people not knowing the most important fact.

Silly.

Edited by Obscure

Bethesda?????

I thought you all heard Obsidian, who is made up of Black Isle, is making New Vegas and just using Bethesda's engine! How silly of you people not knowing the most important fact.

Silly.

So Bethesda's game with Obsidian's storyline?

Although I do believe that while yes it is more Black Isle this time around, Bethesda still has more of a hand in this project than that, even if it's only a small hand.

I already pre-ordered this. I'm not getting the CE but the card deck sounds interesting. Can probably get it through friends cheaper.

EDIT: Fallout 4 is supposed to be Bestehsda's project though, so Gary may not be so silly since he refers to the next game. I think.

Edited by Vincent210

I don't think Bethesda has anything to do with it besides providing the Gamebryo engine and publishing it. If I remember right, it's being fully developed by Black Isle like Magnus said. Topping it off, the Gamebryo engine can be twisted quite a bit to do a lot of stuff. I'd expect the basic engine of F3, but not much else. It seems like they're trying to seperate themselves as much as possible from F3, haha.

Kinda like a going back to the roots sorta thing. I just hope it works out, haha.

I dunno why you can't just make it so you can't pause time to stuff your face full of stimpacks like how Demon's Souls does it.

Hell, they should make it so if you're in body form you get invaded by another person playing the game, so you can hyperspray them in the face, werd.

I'd be down for an invasion like system in Fallout New Vegas. If they defeat you, They get half your caps (sort of like losing a pokemon battle in the old games) or something like that. Make it optional like the "hardcore mode", and you've got a winner.

And Fallout 1 and 2 seemed to have solid stories just as 3 did, so as long as it's a good neverending story, this game will be worth every penny. I don't think anyone else I know is getting the CE, so I said screw it and I' throwing in the extra $20. And in a little bit I'm gooding to fix the OP even though that's wuite late now that I'm finally at a full-fledged computer for once this week.

Oh, nah I can't really agree on that. I thought 1 and 2 were far superior, storywise. In fact I'd probably go so far as to say they are superior games. Much more clever mechanics, story, and the random encounters were far and away better...like not even in the same stratosphere. Also, 1 and 2 were able to kill you at any moment, whereas 3 you have to go out of your way to NOT become a god of the wasteland.

Fallout 3 is insane amounts of fun when you're dicking around, though. But then again so is GTA so yeah.

Wait, he thought F3's story was good? Crazy.

I'm just sad a certain tree won't be making any more appearances.

I also really hope Obsidian fixes the too easy to become god thing. Being able to take off everything's head with one shot from a revolver was fun until I realized I was able to take off everything's head with one shot from a revolver.

Oh, nah I can't really agree on that. I thought 1 and 2 were far superior, storywise. In fact I'd probably go so far as to say they are superior games. Much more clever mechanics, story, and the random encounters were far and away better...like not even in the same stratosphere. Also, 1 and 2 were able to kill you at any moment, whereas 3 you have to go out of your way to NOT become a god of the wasteland.

Fallout 3 is insane amounts of fun when you're dicking around, though. But then again so is GTA so yeah.

Storywise F3 get's good around the point where Jame's dies. Not that I don't like the character, just that a lost dad doesn't seem like enough of a motivator to slog through a desert hell where most people want to kill you and where shooting Moira makes Megaton angry instead of the expected overjoyed that she'll finally shut up.

Plus gameplay really only has to be fun. Being a god of the wasteland wasting time firing MIRVs into the air to watch the little ants of the waste run, or charging into a mutant's home with spiked knuckles and Falcon punching his stomach so hard his limbs fly off is fun. Fallout 1 and 2 may have been a little more balanced and challenging, but the isometric style and repetitive click combat just falls flat for me no matter how balanced or challenging it ends up. It's just boring.

Wait, he thought F3's story was good? Crazy.

I'm just sad a certain tree won't be making any more appearances.

I also really hope Obsidian fixes the too easy to become god thing. Being able to take off everything's head with one shot from a revolver was fun until I realized I was able to take off everything's head with one shot from a revolver.

Again. Story isn't the best, but it was worth the time, and I like it. Better motive next time would make all the difference. Getting shot in the head seems a solid motive to want to find someone, so New Vegas already looks promising.

Bye-bye Harold, bye-bye Heber... I mean Bob! I don;t really know what else to say

And I guess a more challenge seems to be the one thing really needed as an addition, but as long as it's adjustable, allowing me to have both a god and a wastelander as two separate files. Because even though it may get old to take off everything's head with one shot from a revolver, it never gets old to take off everything's head with one shot from a revolver.

• 2 weeks later...