Battlefield 3

Mom

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To play the game online you need the Online Pass which is 800 MS. However, I was given a limited edition for normal price and it had a code for the online pass already in it.

So I don't know if my Gamestop had ordered too many and was just pushing them out the door or what.

[edit] Also I'm noticing that having a higher sensitivity is pretty necessary if you're going to be playing tdm in this game. The spawns for tdm are absolute garbage so it really helps out to be able to whip around and watch your back. I've literally been spawned right in front of the enemy and I've been killed before I had the opportunity to move. But it works both ways and I've been able to ravage opposing spawns myself.

This game was definitely built for Rush and Conquest. I'm thinking I'm going to be done with TDM once I'm comfortable with where my kits are at. Rush and Conquest are really tough to handle without toys.

Edited by Rachis

You can say that again. Trying to run into Rush without packing a SCAR, M416, PP2000, or some other all-purpose higher dps shit will give you a rough time.

Also, you only have to pay for the mutliplayer if you buy it used. The code is included in all copies. Limited just gives you access to future map pack DLC for free later on. So only people who buy it used have to go out of their way to purchase online play.

Burst firing a lot of things in this game isn't very practical, normally, I get best results by playing covert and circling around into their spawn. Otherwise, if we're playing Def, I just pull out a LMG with Bipod and will set up shop before firing. I'll be getting on within the next few minutes, I should unlock it soon. After that, I just need to get "acclimated", ya know? Always do a bit poorly within the first few days. I mean, I'm still at least pulling positive most matches and getting some work done, just nowhere near what I SHOULD be getting done yet.

I just got it today and the campaign is pretty sick for the hour and a half I played. I also got the limited addition so I go the online pass even though I didn't pre-order it. I don't have XBL at the moment so I hoping to get it back soon to be able to play this with MW3. I've been hearing this game is WAY better on pc which doesn't surprise me as most are, so I might get it for my Mac.

I just got it today and the campaign is pretty sick for the hour and a half I played. I also got the limited addition so I go the online pass even though I didn't pre-order it. I don't have XBL at the moment so I hoping to get it back soon to be able to play this with MW3. I've been hearing this game is WAY better on pc which doesn't surprise me as most are, so I might get it for my Mac.

Which would work great if there was actually a Mac port.

So here's how to TDM...

Stick to the outskirts of the map. Doesn't matter which map you're on because everyone tends to just run into the middle of the map somewhere. You'll basically be catching people off guard off spawns and picking off who you can. It's pretty important that you make sure you know what you are running into as well. Check all your corners. And periodically turn around, especially after kills, to make sure you don't get surprise knifed. This may sound like basics, but not following those rules is especially punishing in BF3 tdm .

This might be just my opinion, but I strongly recommend running the Assault class. Being able to set up shop on your own is pretty nice. You should be throwing down med packs when you feel like you are going to be staying put for longer than a few seconds and after every engagement so you can get your health back to 100%. I tend to have some ammo issues because of the lack of Support class players in tdm so I'm probably going to stop using the sprint perk and go with ammo. We'll see.

Triples are awesome =)

[edit] And yeah the game was designed for PC and then dumbed down for the consoles. BF has always been a PC thing anyways.

Edited by Rachis

Which would work great if there was actually a Mac port.

Bootcamp works fine.

EDIT: I think the campaign did it's job for a typical FPS. It was Fast-Paced, difficult enough to warrant full attention the whole time, and it had tons of explosions and fuck-yeah moments like Counter-sniping with an AT, not only did you take out the sniper nest but the bulk of the building the nest was in. The length was short (I beat it in, I think, 6 hours) and I wish it had more but overall I enjoyed it.

Edited by Kaleidoscope

K so I read back a few comments and there's some things I gotta say. First off, I don't know why you guys are wasting time with tdm. I feel like the only reason why its even in this game is to give the cod players new to battlefield a means to get used to in the game. I played it a few times, but I feel like the random spawns and the one track mindedness of it goes against the teamwork aspect that bf seems to strive towards.

Also, I completely disagree w you Vincent. Burst firing is indeed practical. With the overall higher recoil of the guns in this game (when compared to let's say mw2 or bops), how else are you gonna take down ppl in range? I guess you could always switch your autos to semi-auto mode, but that's annoying to do. Not every gun has a burst fire mode. I know you said you prefer to be covert and go around places, but if you see a guy down range and he sees you, you may get spotted while you try to run around him and the rest of his team will see you highlighted for a bit as you try to be all espionage action. If it works for you though, I won't knock it. I find it a bit impractical for lack of a better word.

Anyway, I also wanna point out that there isn't anything wrong with jumping straight to rush or conquest. In fact, I'd say it's recommended. It makes you more of a team player, which is what you wanna do if you wanna come out on top.

Ok, so I've been playing this game along w dark souls on and off and I'm loving it. You guys need to get on the saw w extended mags, rds or holo and grip. That thing is a murder machine. Grip>bipod, since you need a flat surface to deploy it and it basically does nothing if you run around with it. And extended mags gives you 200 rounds to fuck people up with. Scope cause iron sights can get in the way when you try to shoot fools at a range.

Oh and rachis, I definitely relate to your ammo problem. I ran ammo for a while, but there's usually a lot of support guys when I play. Usually if you throw down a health pack, they throw down ammo.

I think I'll post my classes when I get home. Oh and ump is still king. It was king in beta, it is king now.

I whoop the shit out of ump's with m416 and m4a1. I haven't bothered using it yet though even after just unlocking it earlier. Been working on my 4th m416 service star. Just 9 kills away.

I actually got to play a lot of Rush today since I had my peeps all on and we were able to get into a server with little effort. Assault is definitely my thing. Reviving and medpacks all day and I still get my kills. Was an absolute blast. Only time I felt the need to switch over to Engineer was if there was a tank rolling around. After my 4th buddy got into the game though I was covered there and didn't have to switch at all. The saw is pretty nice, but I'll take survivability any day.

Also, not having to deal with the spawn bs of tdm was really nice. Even still though I would prefer doing that if I'm playing by myself than play rush or conquest. It's far easier to kill the shit out of people on your own than it is to defend/attack objectives with dumb and/or non-existant teammates. The whole team player concept goes both ways. I'm not going to subject myself to frustrating play outside of tdm with people not playing objectives properly and not taking out vehicles because they feel like they can't switch classes ever. Once my engineer is good to go I probably won't care anymore though.

Edited by Rachis

Yeah, I gotta say, the M416 is king now. I used to believe in the ump, but laying down full auto into someone without bugding after the first shot is too GDLK.

Also, when I fire at a distance, I switch to semi, rather than bursting. Anything else can be handled full-auto+foregrip. M416 can do whatever it wants, and if a person is farther than five inches, your LMG must have foregrip or bipod. They're that bad.

I loved the SAW with ForegripHoloExt. so I hope it's still as good as I like to remember it.

As far as TDM goes, it for me is basically and reflex and bullshit conditioning program. Get all the rage out of my system and get kills for the sake of getting kills and to get better at getting kills. Then do something with an objective, the actual game. Plus it gives people without friends to squad with something to do. Since solo objectives is a fucking no-no.

Servers being down is a good thing. Means shit is getting fixed. =)

[edit] AEK-971 is a beautiful gun. I'm finding it to be more reliable than the M416 as odd as that my be. Plus the iron sights are so easy to use so it's been nice times getting some attachments for it.

Also I'm digging conquest a lot more than rush.

Edited by Rachis

Rush is sad because people know how to attack, but very few know what the hell to do when it comes to defending. Plus, there is always the scrub brigade courtesy of COD with this whole camping aversion thing, where if you're not in constant forward (in general direction of the enemy) motion you shouldn't be allowed to play mentality leaves them as dead weight for the team to carry. I only have one reliable squad, so when those bros aren't on Rush is out of the question. You pretty much need a whole squad to secure a bomb if your team doesn't get the concept.

Conquest is pretty open ended though. It's basically COD's domination with less spawn-trapping (since you can spawn on teammates). So it is basically a more organized TDM with some goal to shoot for. As long as you hold two points either clumped together or on the ends you're perfectly fine. Lose those, but have a substantial life lead, still fine. Ignoring the obj. isn't a guaranteed game over so it's hella more forgiving even without a troop of people.

I generally don't stop moving either, but that's courtesy of being an active defender. I don't like keeping just one perspective for too long and I absolutely don't like being an easy target for snipers.

I'm not the biggest fan of rush because I've never liked gametypes that force offense or defense for a round. SnD is kind of like that on paper, but never plays out that way for some reason.

Yeah, I've noticed that with Rush too. Then again, I've figured out a system to know if your team is going to do good or not.

I prefer staying a spot where its hard for snipers to find me, but close to the action. Or just mortar the crap out of the enemy.

Do you guys prefer Normal or Hardcore?

I never really felt like hardcore was entirely balanced in bfbc2 and it's seeming to really not make a difference to me in this game. It doesn't change how I'm playing nor is it affecting my ability to kill things. If anything I just find hardcore to be a more campy variation of the game which I'm never ok with. Maybe I just don't have enough time with it.