Comics, Manga, and Graphic Novels

YUNG MASTERLESS GLENCOUR

it's the warning man, definitely

http://www.mangapanda.com/115-52373-8/hajime-no-ippo/chapter-895.html

http://www.mangapanda.com/115-52373-12/hajime-no-ippo/chapter-895.html

http://www.mangapanda.com/115-52760-1/hajime-no-ippo/chapter-896.html

ippo's about to be broken, dood.

also lets be honest, kamogawa is a garbage trainer, he's been looking good because he has 3 guys that defy real world logic

look at his two realistic guys, basically amounted to nothing and they are now literally at the tail end of their careers

he's done awful with ippo man, I'm wildly annoyed that he hasn't thrown in the towel already because ippo's eyes are both shut

wildly irresponsible and I pretty much just hate the guy at this point

gonzalez is going to win this, he's got the skills and the motivation imo

and then he's going to get torn apart by martinez and martinez will retire or something

or gonzalez will die, idk

takamura said that martinez would retire with the belt, right? That's about as close to god's word as we have in this manga. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

i kinda wish we got to see more vorg man cuz that fight was GREAT, remember that one? wow

altho vorg just fought huh? He needs to rest, maybe just have him show up to talk or something

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be about the warning, because otherwise what's the point of making such a big deal of it? You end up with another "Takamura's eye" situation.

also lets be honest, kamogawa is a garbage trainer, he's been looking good because he has 3 guys that defy real world logic

look at his two realistic guys, basically amounted to nothing and they are now literally at the tail end of their careers

He is in a lot of ways, yeah, but not completely. I pin a lot of Aoki and Kimura's failings on Shinoda, who has been their primary trainer for most of the manga, and handles Itagaki, too.* Though I guess he learned from and takes after Kamogawa, who basically admits he's not the reason for Takamura's success, and as far as Ippo goes, I'd say he's hit and miss. He's definitely taught him some good offensive moves and done proper body development, but the defense and approaches are extremely one dimensional. "Let's get better at charging in." Like damn dude really? More than anything, he's been bad for Ippo as a ring man. Too often losses become wins on the brink of death.

I don't know about the rest because other than Ippo losing (which I have a problem to begin with as it is, but we already discussed how this fight should have gone) there's nothing about this I like right now. I see no possible future where Ippo fights are worth a damn anymore, especially since his more recent ones have been pretty shit. Boy do I hope I'm wrong.

Vorg fight was great, yeah. Even recent Aoki and Kimura fights have been better.* I think these guys who aren't the primary focus don't get their fights so mucked up with long term possibilities from the author, and that's why they end up better. It's like yeah, let's just put in a good fight.

* This is as good a time as any to comment on Shinoda. Ever since taking on Itagaki, I think he's become less stubborn and more focused on his fighters' safety, which has moved him away from Kamogawa's style and made him a better trainer IMO.

Maybe Kamogawa dies and an improved Shinoda takes on a broken Ippo, helping him recover and follow in Date's path, only with different results.

If I'm sayin' a lot and giving in to wild speculation it's because I'm so disappointed with what I'm reading that I'm flailing.

See, that's the thing. Kamogawa did train him for a strong offense...against weaker opposition. To use an NBA analogy, this guy Mike D'Antoni revolutionized the NBA offense with the "7 seconds or less" Suns: you rebound or inbound the ball as fast as possible after opponent takes a shot and your point guard sprints down the court full speed while your other 4 guys sprint to the 3 point line to look for either a lane to drive in or to take a 3 point shot. The idea is go so fast the defense can't set and automatically force spacing issues. Thing is his teams never won titles and he was a terrible coach otherwise, despite those teams having all-time great offensive talent (like Steve Nash shout out to Canada). The Spurs ended up perfecting what he did while also boasting one of the best defenses ever seen on top of that.

Kamogawa is D'Antoni.

I was thinking about it and honestly I think this could be great for Ippo. He and Kamogawa both needed to see their plan stop working, otherwise they would never accept that a change needs to be made. Take those links from earlier, and look at the rest of the conversation. He and Ippo are just too stubborn man. It should have been obvious that they were basically coasting on talent and abusing a few strong points of Ippo without showing true skill, merit, or even legitimate growth. That just shouldn't (and clearly doesn't) work at the highest levels.

What was that Ippo line he said at the beginning of this match...about the Vorg fight...uh shit let me find the link. Something like "the best boxing involves high level exchanges, but I can't do that so what can I do?"

You can't do anything, Ippo. That's the point. You and your coach have screwed this up royally and its been 100s of chapters in the making.

The vorg fight was inspiring man, that was vintage ippo (the manga not the character) right there.

If he wins this fight I'm done, but if he doesn't I think the manga could get super interesting. He and the coach would have a lot of soul searching to do, and they'd really have to rethink all the bullshit they've been saying and doing.

Man fuck how do you only train for left jabs against the #2 fighter in the world tho? fuck I can't believe this guy

Also before I forget...this draws a kind of brilliant parallel with Itagaki's loss, mainly that these guys lost sight of how to truly grow as boxers because they mistook luck/plot shield/talent for real quality.

Also FUCK him for teaching Ippo to dodge with his fucking face.

I can't believe they tried to sell us that bullshit.

Found it:

http://www.mangapanda.com/hajime-no-ippo/1033/8

http://www.mangapanda.com/hajime-no-ippo/1033/9

fucking guy. Ugh.

Edited by BISHOP MUSHROOM TIP

If he wins this fight I'm done, but if he doesn't I think the manga could get super interesting. He and the coach would have a lot of soul searching to do, and they'd really have to rethink all the bullshit they've been saying and doing.

-

Also before I forget...this draws a kind of brilliant parallel with Itagaki's loss, mainly that these guys lost sight of how to truly grow as boxers because they mistook luck/plot shield/talent for real quality.

Yeah, it could get super interesting, but if I'm going off the last few hundred chapters, it won't. That's what scares me about a loss man. The writing just isn't there most chapters. And I guess to your point of saying he's a shitty coach, Kamogawa's way of dealing with shit has always been to become more thick headed. Not just in what we've seen over Ippo's progression, but in flashbacks too. Part of why he loves Ippo is their similarities, and he wants to see his boxing succeed. He hasn't changed through his whole life and doing so now might be like abandoning that dream, but not changing things up a bit would be like seeing them die on the mat. Which hurts him more?

If anything the only way it'll break through to him is if your second point actually translates into the writing. Shinoda changed and maybe he can convince Kamogawa to as well. Dude needs a fkn major intervention all in all.

The second link you put up really spoke to me, haha. "Fk I don't know what to do I guess I'll charge in while weaving."

An Ippo who could get in with footwork and set up better positioning would be damn near unbeatable, and as lame as that would've been to read through the story, that's what I'd want to see him bring as world champ.

Kamogawa's way of dealing with shit has always been to become more thick headed. Not just in what we've seen over Ippo's progression, but in flashbacks too. Part of why he loves Ippo is their similarities, and he wants to see his boxing succeed. He hasn't changed through his whole life and doing so now might be like abandoning that dream, but not changing things up a bit would be like seeing them die on the mat. Which hurts him more?

An Ippo who could get in with footwork and set up better positioning would be damn near unbeatable, and as lame as that would've been to read through the story, that's what I'd want to see him bring as world champ.

It only succeeded because of the talent already there. It's like what I was saying about Doflamingo way way back. Dood is misreading the tea leaves, here. Ippo works his ass off but it's all kind of stupid and pointless except for the fact that Ippo can be hit by a car and still fight. Also, he's competing at a level now that the coach I don't think ever reached...so there's no reason to believe his methods should still work as is. He should be trying to grow, not change.

I also don't think that'd be boring tbh. I think the last good fight for Ippo was the Karasawa one...where he did exactly that.

I was gonna use an example of me playing SL vs me playing LR to illustrate that you gotta change if you want to win but I have to run so I will put this in later if I remember lol

yeah idk if i will not cuz the more i think about it the less sense it makes in relation to this

i changed so that i could stay on top and also cuz i developed physical limitations

this guy needs to change cuz the competition got more fierce

you might say its more like me growing between moc3 and moc4 tbh, learning how to be a competitor and so on

What a brutal finish. Fuck.

Gonzalez is a fighter, that's for sure. He also showed basically what I was hoping Ippo would show in this fight: the brawler's instincts with an understanding of how to harness them in at a higher level. Not training his fucking neck to take the big hit better because fuck defense.

Hopefully Ippo didn't just get killed, and can grow from this.

Man, it was looking stupid for a second with Ippo coming back swinging, but that was a pretty solid way to end it.

If Ippo isn't dead any trust between him and Kamogawa might be. Going in yelling "our boxing works coach!" and then getting a trip to Head-Smashed-In has gotta be damaging to their relationship.

Ippo almost dying might be the thing that finally fixes Kamogawa's head too. Awfully short-sighted of me not to suggest that.

Fuck.

the shot of his face after impact, fuck

that hurt

they got a lot of soul searching to do man, both of them

his idiotic style almost worked here but Gonzalez is half the fighter Martinez is (if that) so he's gotta figure this shit out

maybe it goes like with Pacquiao in his early career: god tier hands and could take hits but was terrible at defense so he lost a few fights, but finally got a good coach that harnessed his speed and reflexes to develop a defense...then just kept expanding it from there

only reason pacman fell off is cuz pacman stopped caring, tbh

Ippo is supposed to be modelled after Tyson iirc so he certainly does need to learn a whole lof of shit here...he didn't look anything like prime tyson in this fight and it was THE fight to do it in

i dont think he's ever gonna face Martinez tho, as I think I mentioned a bunch of times before, so what I think will actually happen is he'll have to face Gonzalez again at some point (an improved one) and/or an improved Miyata. In fact I was sorta thinking what would happen now is something like, Gonzalez gets his third match with Martinez, loses, then Martinez decides its a good time to retire so he does, and Miyata beats Gonzalez on the world stage setting up Ippo and Miyata for the title. Its all sorta farfetched but w/e. I do think Martinez retires undefeated tho.

ONE PIECE was great

yes

also fuck law is fighting with a handicap altho that was bound to happen I guess :(

That was dope, and at least let our guys get some heavy damage in early. This is truly a come heavy situation, haha.

The whole "3rd Corazon" thing is kinda confusing to me. Corazon was Mingo's brother, yeah? And he was the 'heart' of his deck, right? So was that not Mingo's brobro's actual name, or what's going on with that? That he apparently had another in there doesn't surprise me tho.

I'm rly not too sure, its all pretty confusing...maybe he's been using "brother" the way luffy was

so basically they aren't brothers by blood just by bond

maybe its like u said tho maybe it was a title afterall

he said law woulda been the 3rd corazon right?

It was Law that said it was his brother in the first place, I thought, but that could be it, yeah. It was definitely a title as well too, but maybe he was both, I don't know.

He was saying Law would've been the third one, for sure. That's like the only clear part of this to me. It should be interesting to see the backstory on this get cleared up.

i think ur right on all that

we got a long flashback incoming for sure too

ive srsly read that chapter like 6 times now

its too good

too CRAZY

i cant believe doflamingo ate a red hawk this early in the fight there's no way he didn't feel that one

History's Strongest Desciple Kenichi ends next chapter, great manga and will be sad to see it go, but it was consistently fun over 60 volumes which is wild impressive so hey, you earned it son

get some rest

I'm p eager to see what that author does next

i like it cuz it never took itself seriously, and it never really deviated from its message or goals, or even its own world/mission statement/whatever

its what naruto shoulda been basically

it was just a story about a good kid wanting to get strong and help people out, without getting overly complicated or deep, oh and it was loaded with fine women

new ippo

poor guy looks broken, fk

not even physically, im sure he's hurting but he was able to walk out on his own so he might be fine in a few weeks, mentally tho

fk

he wasn't ready for this loss at all it seems

new ippo

poor guy looks broken, fk

not even physically, im sure he's hurting but he was able to walk out on his own so he might be fine in a few weeks, mentally tho

fk

he wasn't ready for this loss at all it seems

And there's no way Fujitora is gonna sit by for Doflamingo.

Well now we know, sort of. He is literally going to sit by, but at least its not for Dolflamingo.

puns??

He was delusional, and his entire philosophy was idiotic. The only reason he was able to impose it on anyone was because he was stronger.

[...]

I hate Doflamingo btw I think he's just a spoiled brat who spent too much of his life getting away with shit because of being born with 1000 silver spoons in his mouth, and mistakes privilege for earned rewards.

wwooooowwwww

i bet if i go further back i find more evidence i saw through this fucking guy from the drop FUCK him

Kamogawa is hurting more than Ippo I think. He failed Ippo hard and he knows it, but I'm sure Ippo is doubting him too, and that hurts them both.

OP though, what a ride. That hit Luffy took was unreal. Mingo is a fuckin shit, and honestly, he kinda comes across as Sabo's opposite huh. That he thinks he's a man [avoiding] playing a kids game is a hell of a thing. Appalling. Entitled clown.

Also, I can't believe we've been on this arc for over a year (way to dig on the quote, haha). I still think Fujitora has more to offer than just taking a seat.

Edited by facebataraxis

nah, I think this is his play

I was talking to someone about it recently, like right after that chapter came out showing the sabo vs fujitora update, along with the strange conversation they had

bscly my take was that fujitora is waiting for luffy and law to defeat doflamingo because he wants him brought down, and he wants the chaos to happen the way its unfolding because simply having doflamingo defeated isn't enough, this needs to be a catalyst to a bigger change...bringing down the entire warlords system. I think he knows just from seeing the other times something like this happened that the world government is more intent on protecting the status quo and not the citizens, which is not something he agrees with. I also think he considers the marines tainted goods which is another reason he won't act. so its not his place to act and it wouldn't help anyways in the grand scheme of things, so to speak.

it makes sense: look at alabasta, blackbeard's rise, thriller bark, doflamingo's whole career, even the whitebeard war...the government/marine top brass all believe certain things and have acted consistently in that manner, which is something fujitora doesn't agree with but being a part of the system means he can't act the way he might want to

it's all very complicated, the way he's thinking, but I think I boiled it down right...in fact as of today i'm 100% sure I did lol

the only thing im curious about is does he try to bring law and luffy in after they kill doflamingo

i don't think he'll turn a blind eye (lol) but i suspect they get away under some convinient circumstances (like when they got away from garp)

i sorta like this move by him tbh

it makes sense in its own way

i want more too i want to like the guy cuz his power and outfit are dope as fk

i semi hope he gets a fight this arc but I think we've seen the extent of that for now cuz I think we're FINALLY winding down to just the remaining few fights playing out (+flashbacks) and story resolution

i say semi cuz I really just want the damn fights on the table to end uninterrupted I hate not getting full fights now