Comics, Manga, and Graphic Novels

YUNG MASTERLESS GLENCOUR

maddox's take wasn't very good tbh

I'll tell you the real problem with the cover, its that its not physically possible. you can find a bunch of artist's critiques of it to see why its not

that cover just isn't good

people actually complain about that for both men and women all the time (shout out to the GAWD robert liefeld)

as for it being sexualized as much as it is, it's Manara and it's Spiderwoman. Marvel had to expect that sort of thing from him, and it's always pushed that sort of thing with Spiderwoman

google her covers she has most of the hottest ones for marvel, even her suit design is more sexualized than pretty much any other superheroine there is marvel or DC

I think if the cover were better, even at least anatomically correct, people would have been less upset (you'll still get some complaints for being sexualized...but again you're always going to with spiderwoman)

the best take I've read is from the owner of dark horse comics

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/10/dark-horse-publisher-mike-richardson-talks-about-milo-manara-and-that-spider-woman-cover/

personally i think the cover sucks AND is in poor taste so I get why people would be mad, but i think attacking manara is dumb

i wont be making silly ass 6-7 minute videos or articles about why i like/dislike it tho fuck all that, if i got a problem with it i wont buy it, or if i felt real strongly about it i'd prolly send marvel a complaint

as a consumer I feel those would be the proper channels to show them my displeasure anyways

fuck that tho yall see that fubuki art tho?

goddamn goddamn goddamn!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had only heard about this from a buddy, and he was saying the main reason they were up in arms was because they would never do that with Spiderman, yet they totally have.

I'mma go ahead and say that I think looking to comics for examples of sexualization and expecting not to find any is nutty. That goes for either gender, and anyone arguing that they haven't done it to both is delusional (a lot of the people I'm referring to with these comments are anyway, so I mean...there's nothing all that surprising here to me, haha).

for superhero comics anyhow, we should be specific on this cuz otherwise it like saying "finding sexualization in fiction" which is clearly too broad

yeah superhero comics from big 2 cater to pretty specific demographics, and that demo is aging so ya, this sort of thing is sort of expected

but yeah anyone arguing this cover is bad cuz they'd never do it to spidey doesn't read spidey comics

spidey and nightwing are two prime examples of fan service for ppl who like guys, i think there's nothing wrong with that or fanservice for men or women

i do think that u gotta avoid being a creepy bitch about it tho, don't exclude ppl or tell them to suck it up when ur counting on their money and ur core audience is aging out, or else you end up exactly where the comics industry is now...kinda weak

unless ur from software lololol

:plane: :jack:

for superhero comics anyhow, we should be specific on this cuz otherwise it like saying "finding sexualization in fiction" which is clearly too broad

Good call, 'cuz I was specifically thinking of superheros and how they have the bodies of Greek gods, along with a tendency to wear skin tight clothing or less. That look is iconic, too, and is something I would actually be sad to lose.

• 2 weeks later...

if you actually cared about that spiderwoman cover story at all:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55190

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55731

tl;dr marvel will be cancelling the manara variant cover for spiderwoman

i wouldn't even read the links tbh but just so u know what the source material is there it is

one punch man is god

FLEX MENTALLO IS VERY RARE MY GUY

VERY VERY RARE

GRANT MORRISON THA GAWD

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/berserk/c337/

if you even care about it at this point I wouldn't blame anyone if they didnt

i only do cuz im reading it free im not so sure i'd pay for this anymore

actually fairly certain i wouldnt

not cuz its bad of course its great but yeah u know

also that slap was very satisfying

also Rickert bscly demonstrated that he is the man

in all phases of the game

even in that ridiculous outfit

Never read Beserk. I'm not feeling those faces on the characters at all, and it's entirely because of the eyes. Kinda weirdin' me out.

I like short stories with a definitive end better than long ones. 300 issues is too daunting to get into for me.

Unless I get it on it early enough, like OPM and Titans. But I'd drop Titans if I could. I also don't see onepunch lasting that long.

opm been at it awhile now tbh, it might run long form

titans wont he confirmed it ends in 3 years

those faces aren't indicative of berserk at all tbh but yeah...honestly though i bet u'd rly like berserk, especially older stuff

i wouldnt blame u for not getting into berserk tho man its never going to end so getting into it prolly just leaves u reading a story that'll never finish which lowkey sucks

not even lowkey it just plain sucks

the main thing berserk has going for it is is has like...the 3rd best art in a manga I've ever seen

murata's opm and jojo's bizarre adventure (I forget which ones) are prolly only ones i've read that had better art

nausicaa might but I haven't read it yet

I'd say berserk's art is just ahead of lone wolf and cub too

Edited by BISHOP MUSHROOM TIP

Just read the Berserk, it was great.

Also Jackson, I highly recommend giving berserk a look, if anything just read up to the end of the Golden Age arc (first 13 volumes, about 100 chapters). You could also watch the 1997 anime to check things out, but you'd be missing out on a lot, but I do think the anime is pretty great. I know you like the horror stuff, (early)Berserk is incredibly dark and morbid, and it's even got the whole Hellraiser and Evil Dead thing going on. The art in Berserk has changed dramatically over the years, the older stuff looks a lot different, the more recent stuff has a lot more softer rounded features and is more refined, earlier stuff is a bit rougher/stylistic and maybe a more traditional anime look. The more recent stuff doesn't really help give an accurate take on the earlier content, things have changed quite a bit. But seriously check it out, Golden Age is a classic, and you are missing out!

Edited by Nomrah

honestly i don't think the art is that different from beginning to end, short of it just being plain better. The main diff tbh is that the featured characters themselves change

which is what i alluded to when i said this chapter was no good for how the art is, cuz this chapter was almost entirely close-ups of Rickert and Griffith, with some comical shots of the one girl and her bodyguard

In the beginning it was primarily adults/young adults, whereas later in the series its guts and a ton of kids

UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT

i'll be 100 with yall i like his current group way way way way more than the band of the hawk, no bullshit, not to say that part of the manga was worse its not, its prolly better tbh altho tower of conviction is prolly overall my favorite arc?

oh naruto ends in 5 chapters if ur into that, good riddance to bad rubbish

• 2 weeks later...

well what im saying is we might not see garou in next 3 updates

if i had to guess off top its like 6-7 but i forget exactly how one handled it and there's a chance (a great chance) murata goes long form with the speed o sound sonic vs genos fight

he loves doing that and he's shown a real knack for it

im amped for the garou arc too tho cuz we'll get to see a ton of fucking fights in it

I double checked before posting earlier. Next thing that should happen is Genos talking to Dr. Stench and then the Hero Association trying to recruit villains. I.e. Garou's debut. Then it's Saitama v. Fubuki, Genos v. Sonic.

So my 3 updates number came from assuming Murata gives Genos and Stench an update, and then breaking down the villain recruiting in the next two.

oh i musta remembered the order wrong for ONE's stuff then

I wonder if murata will do the same then

i know official releases the order is diff for arcs but i forget how its been on weeklies

i bought all the officials and have been reading those on repeat man too good

i semi hope ur right cuz i want to see how he draws those chars from the garou arc but i also love how he draws fubuki so i want more fubuki

• 2 weeks later...