Shin Megami Tensei

Ataraxis

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she's one of the 3 main doods

she's pretty strong but you never fight her

demi-fiend would have destroyed her, you destroy her patron god anyways so fk her

you never got to play nocturne huh?

http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Nocturne-Playstation-2/dp/B00024W1U6

17 bucks son

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h141/mshernandez182/fate.jpg

shoutout to titania and lilith tho two of my faves in the game

you might never see it in stores my guy

dood's just throwing angels and onis around like it ain't even a thing fk these weaklings

demi fiend son destined to destroy reality y'all really not fkn with him

fk a god

dood punches fools barehand

even Raidou isn't that hardcore and Raidou is about as manly as a SMT protag gets

Edited by YOUNG CALIGULA

start anywhere tbh most of the games aren't available in the US normally and almost none of them are connected significantly. What systems do you own? That matters for what games you should consider looking for

Nocturne and Persona 3 are both in my top 5 RPGs all time which basically means they changed my whole perception of what a video game/art/story/etc could be, ie they changed my life

if you can play ps2 games get Nocturne, Persona 3, and Raidou Kuzonoha vs King Abaddon.

Persona 4 is PS3

Shin Megami Tensei 4 is 3DS

There's a ton of other games available stateside but those are my favorites anyways

Keanu would probably say a few different things, I know he has Strange Journey a lot higher than I do

Clones might think a bit differently too based on what he has played

http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Summoner-Kuzunoha-Playstation/dp/B001QTW2GY

http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Persona-FES-PlayStation/dp/B0014CN2H6/ref=pd_sim_vg_7

http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Nocturne-Playstation-2/dp/B00024W1U6/ref=pd_sim_vg_5/184-9535111-0430532

there's some links for the 3 games that I feel are most worth playing from SMT series

Persona 4 is PS2.

Persona 4 The Golden is for the PS Vita. It's basically Persona 4 with more content and stuff to do.

If you have a PSP, I recommend getting Persona 3 Portable. Fixes the combat for the most part, though it does take away the cutscenes as well as a lower level in graphics and stuff. Though it does have the non-canon female protag option which is always cool.

Edited by Clones

oh and I can't think of any game that isn't worth playing except maybe P2...I don't like P2 personally. Characters are dope but man the gameplay drives me nuts.

ur right P4 is ps2 my bad

w/e tho P4 is great but P3 Fes is the one to play

P3 Fes deserves to be played on ps2 but yeah the psp versions of p3 and p4 are prolly just as good, I didn't play them but my friend whose tastes are trustworthy said they're nearly as good

nocturne tho real talk is that kanye sex tape convo but for an entire game

It does? I thought my friend said it had The Answer

Okay then no there's no point in getting P3 for psp, nothing to weigh

you need The Answer

just get Fes its the best version anyways

stop being a little girl and get Nocturne clones

Edited by YOUNG CALIGULA

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Fine.

Yeah they took out The Answer to slap on the female protag route. Kind of interesting cause they changed all the music too. And gave Koromaru a social link I think.

This is the normal battle music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kLTl4DqGHE

This is the shadow boss music in Tartarus:

(A bit reminiscent of the Devil Summoner game osts which i listened too recently.)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've asked before but what's a good order to tackle the series in/are there any games I should skip?

start anywhere tbh most of the games aren't available in the US normally and almost none of them are connected significantly. What systems do you own? That matters for what games you should consider looking for

Nocturne and Persona 3 are both in my top 5 RPGs all time which basically means they changed my whole perception of what a video game/art/story/etc could be, ie they changed my life

if you can play ps2 games get Nocturne, Persona 3, and Raidou Kuzonoha vs King Abaddon.

Persona 4 is PS3

Shin Megami Tensei 4 is 3DS

There's a ton of other games available stateside but those are my favorites anyways

Keanu would probably say a few different things, I know he has Strange Journey a lot higher than I do

Two weeks later...

I'd have to agree with PD on Nocturne, and you can actually get P3 FES on PSN for PS3 (and it goes on sale from time to time for like $5 so yeah). I don't know how good it is functionally on PS3, but it's there. I definitely have Strange Journey really high but it's probably harder to recommend than the others. It's first person dungeon crawler, which I think you either like or you don't (I do). I also liked the characters and presentation a lot.

Oh, and I really like Devil Survivor and Devil Survivor 2. These are tactical RPGs, and are pretty different in a lot of ways, but still fun. They're kind of cartoony in their approach though, especially compared to the others. First game has a remake for 3DS called Overclocked. I've heard good things but have also seen some technical issues mentioned. They're working on a remake of the second called Break Record. If you were interested in either, I'd say this is probably where "Pick one" applies more than anywhere else in the franchise, and I like the first one better.

Also, I never really got around to giving my final thoughts on SMT4. I guess I'll just comment on that now and keep it short(ish):

Demon fusion (especially the usefulness of lower level guys) is mostly great, the atmosphere of the game is awesome, and I like the character designs. Also, even though there wasn't a million options, I liked the equipment choices. I love the music, to the point of saying it might have one of my favourite game soundtracks, with the Ikebukero theme probably being my favourite for whatever reason. It's hard to pick, but that track sticks with me the most.

Combat is enjoyable but probably a little too streamlined. Most shit is either extremely good or worthless, with not much in between. Jonathan aside (I don't like him at all), the characters ranged from just okay to pretty good by the end. The story of it was good enough, and some really cool parts, but too often I felt like my choices didn't have enough impact or were too cut and dry. PD covered that more in his post a couple pages back, and nailed it pretty good. We had talked about it at the time too, and I think more than anything the alignment aspects caused disappointment for me in the game.

The RNG aspects in fusion (accidents) and getting enemies to spawn suck. The overworld map sucks (at least until you complete a certain quest, really fkn late in the game), and is my second biggest complaint (everything else is minor, really). New demon designs are mostly awful, and having so many different races can make things a pain in the ass.

Overall I put it on the line that stands between great and very good.

Also, I never really got around to giving my final thoughts on SMT4. I guess I'll just comment on that now and keep it short(ish):

Demon fusion (especially the usefulness of lower level guys) is mostly great, the atmosphere of the game is awesome, and I like the character designs. Also, even though there wasn't a million options, I liked the equipment choices. I love the music, to the point of saying it might have one of my favourite game soundtracks, with the Ikebukero theme probably being my favourite for whatever reason. It's hard to pick, but that track sticks with me the most.

Combat is enjoyable but probably a little too streamlined. Most shit is either extremely good or worthless, with not much in between. Jonathan aside (I don't like him at all), the characters ranged from just okay to pretty good by the end. The story of it was good enough, and some really cool parts, but too often I felt like my choices didn't have enough impact or were too cut and dry. PD covered that more in his post a couple pages back, and nailed it pretty good. We had talked about it at the time too, and I think more than anything the alignment aspects caused disappointment for me in the game.

The RNG aspects in fusion (accidents) and getting enemies to spawn suck. The overworld map sucks (at least until you complete a certain quest, really fkn late in the game), and is my second biggest complaint (everything else is minor, really). New demon designs are mostly awful, and having so many different races can make things a pain in the ass.

Overall I put it on the line that stands between great and very good.

Fuck Jonathan. Dude's a pussy in the highest regard.

If by overwold map you mean when you're walking along as a ball and pyramid in Tokyo then yeah, fuck that thing too.

Some of the demon designs look great but then others (medusa looks like horse shit) are atrocious. The rest are at best fair to middlin'.

I think I might be midway through the game but it definitely feels like pure status-inducing moves are kinda shitty right now. I'm level 44 and have mostly just kept everyone with physical attacks as their main damage dealers.

I've only had two fusion accidents so far. The first worked out to my favor and the second pissed me off because I got some shitass demon with bad skills.

I got some DLC armor which made me way OP :( I haven't had to change it since I got it in fucking 3rd tier Naraku.

That came off way more negative than how I actually feel about the game, by the way. I really enjoy the game so far; it just has some kinda big flaws here and there.

look up my guys I was posting a bunch here

those are pretty much exactly how you want your doods to look

Johnathan isn't a pussy he's just a Law guy. The problem is the game takes all the intrigue out of Law and Chaos by making them so obviously the wrong choice.

I'm with Keanu on his review generally, they did a lot of great things here by trying to simplify it, but they also dumbed down stuff they shouldn't have. Also way too many demons, and the new art is terrible.

I'd give it a very good to great, yeah. It had the potential to be something special but didn't quite get there.

http://armoredcoreuniverse.net/forum/index.php?/topic/2512-shin-megami-tensei/page__view__findpost__p__63470

http://armoredcoreuniverse.net/forum/index.php?/topic/2512-shin-megami-tensei/page__view__findpost__p__63630

I definitely feel like it's fair to say Jonathan acted like a pussy for maybe the first half of the game, even if he was just being the Law guy. Other than maybe really early on, I actively disliked him for the majority of the game, so pussy or not, fuck that guy.

Also I never commented on the DLC, but I never bought it. It doesn't seem bad in concept. Go for macca and XP if you want it. Exclusive demons seems kind of dumb, but there's so many others that I don't feel like I'm missing out. No impact basically.

"Pussy or not, fuck that guy."

:wiggle:

• 4 months later...
I played several of the games and they are lots of fun but somehow I never beat any of them. Last one I played was Persona 3 FES. It's cool but annoyingly repetitive when it comes to dungeons. To me the whole social part of the game would have been enough to make it interesting. Edited by Chrree