Drac's ACDC 2.0: What do you want to see this time around?

Well, some of you may remember that design contest I hosted back around November-December. I feel it was a success, even though participation wasn't what I would've liked it to be. For those of you who knew didn't vote for bats... I have nothing to say to you. As I said, I plan to do another, so I would like to hear some of your thoughts on what to this time around. Below are the links to the already-completed contest.

1-MOA Division: http://armoredcoreun...1-moa-division/

2-AA Division: http://armoredcoreun...1-moa-division/

3-LR Division: http://armoredcoreun...-3-lr-division/

4-FA Division: http://armoredcoreun...-4-fa-division/

V-VD Division: http://armoredcoreun...-v-vd-division/

Results Thread: http://armoredcoreun...s-acdc-results/

Some notes:

-The 3 vote system will most likely stay. Maybe I should patent it...

-The contest will probably have very similar rules to the previous contest, but I wish to improve them, if possible.

-Again, this contest will be aesthetics based. I think that an emblem division (all generations of AC in 1 division) would be pretty cool just to add something extra.

Hmm, I don't really have much else to say as of now. Just post your thoughts, questions, etc here.

One person to do all images across a division.

At least one picture with a standardized background (this is an ACV/VD issue). Something like a straight black or the hobby kit one would be good.

Better/multiple angles (again, was mostly an issue for V/VD). If someone really wanted, a .gif showing the AC rotate would be ultra fkn rad, haha. COME HEAVY.

Deal with decals between different consoles.

Maybe some other stuff, I can't think of anything right now.

THIS IS EXCITING.

One person to do all images across a division.

At least one picture with a standardized background (this is an ACV/VD issue). Something like a straight black or the hobby kit one would be good.

Better/multiple angles (again, was mostly an issue for V/VD). If someone really wanted, a .gif showing the AC rotate would be ultra fkn rad, haha. COME HEAVY.

Deal with decals between different consoles.

agreed

Less Facebat, less Candycorn.

Are you saying novelty shit needs to go? I thought the whole purpose of this ACDC was novelty looks? It's entirely aesthetically based, and I think that's okay, especially considering how useless at this point an ACDC based on anything else would be. I kinda like the aesthetics-only based approach to this ACDC, tbh. It lets people engage certain parts of their brain they wouldn't normally use for AC games. Why not!

Bigger tits, more guns, more violence.

Every entry has to be a vid of the AC being made cut to some rad dubstep.

Play it loud.

agreed as fuck

confidential voting

o and emblem acdc would be silly since vd has a distinct advantage over all the other generations and ac1-lr is just impractical

agreed

I think over at ACL Rogan suggested an ACDC based on performance like old-times, but at this point I'm pretty pooped out on those. What usually happens is there's a major divide in the old games between people who have played PvP and people who havn't. There's also a divide between people who want to vote for the most competitive design imaginable vs the people who vote based on a mix of design competence and innovation (not novelty.)

I like aesthetics only.

The best course of action here I think is to keep the aesthetics only theme, do the every generation thing using the 3 vote system, but polish up the 5th generation with consistent picture quality. Also motivate 4th and 5th generation designs to use the paint and decal system to their fullest. I was the only one to use decals in the 4A division.

I don't like confidential voting because I like to hear what people think. It would have been nice to have more people give brief impressions of the designs they voted for, instead of just putting number down. They don't have to write dissertations about the entrants but at least a sentence or two about why they voted for it.

Also branch it out to the other forums-- raven republic and raven's haven in particular. Raven's Republic would love to submit some old-time designs I feel.

The emblem thing is cool in idea but will be a bitch to implement. You could probably do a 4-5th generation only emblem contest. Older games you have to do pixel art, and nobody wants to do that.

I think over at ACL Rogan suggested an ACDC based on performance like old-times, but at this point I'm pretty pooped out on those. What usually happens is there's a major divide in the old games between people who have played PvP and people who havn't. There's also a divide between people who want to vote for the most competitive design imaginable vs the people who vote based on a mix of design competence and innovation (not novelty.)

I like aesthetics only.

that's pretty much what I was alluding to, yeah

I don't like confidential voting because I like to hear what people think. It would have been nice to have more people give brief impressions of the designs they voted for, instead of just putting number down. They don't have to write dissertations about the entrants but at least a sentence or two about why they voted for it.

the problem with public is you get tainted results, and people rethinking things based on what other people said/voted, especially with lames who think they have to vote for something else because it's not getting any love or just to be contrary, and we got a lot of those kinds of losers here!

I'm def okay with confidential

my suggestion tho would be you could explain what you think in your confidential vote anyways and it all gets posted at the end, either as a "people had this to say about our winner..." type shit or just post everything anyone had said

kinda like movie review quotes in the ads hahahahah

"this is the greatest war film since saving private ryan"

This is the greatest super bowl blowup since saving private ryan!

I also forgot that Zealous and Tearsin mentioned the potential for prized in their podcast-- even if it was as small as a custom signature or little medallion that goes under the user's avatar in the forum, sort of like the old ACO. I'm sure Niji could implement that easily enough. I wouldn't mind making custom medallions or signatures for the division winners either. It should be a fast process.

I think Tearsin also mentioned something about having the previous ACDC's generation winner at the top of the voting page for the next ACDC as a sort of prestige thing as well, so people can get a sense of relation when voting and understanding what took 1st in last contest.

Edited by POSTER X

We discussed confidential voting after the last one. The 'for' was that it would hopefully have more honest voting and avoid the kinda crap PD mentioned and some other nonsense. The 'against' was that it would result in less discussion for the duration of the contest, though we could always pick that up after, but also that it's sad that we'd need to do that. And it is. But we might.

I'm torn on the public/confidential voting, I agree with pretty much everything both TM and PD said.

The only very annoying thing to me about public voting though are any of those who enter their own design(s) and are big enough pansies to vote late and based on giving themselves a better chance at winning according to what other people put down. I've seen a couple types of those people. I remember talking to Ata about it in chat at the time, I basically said "this is why we can't have nice things".

Hopefully the possibility of those kinds of people make or breaking a contest is little, much like the value of their opinion, though. :wiggle:

I'm hoping we get a best of both worlds type of thing, where we can have confidential voting, and at the same time have the same people contribute to the topics with impressions and discussions-- without really giving away who they voted for.

Are you saying novelty shit needs to go? I thought the whole purpose of this ACDC was novelty looks? It's entirely aesthetically based, and I think that's okay, especially considering how useless at this point an ACDC based on anything else would be. I kinda like the aesthetics-only based approach to this ACDC, tbh. It lets people engage certain parts of their brain they wouldn't normally use for AC games. Why not!

My comment was more of a humorous play on the two designs overwhelming level of success, unleashing a design philosophy so dramatically different from my own (and most others) that I couldn't help but shake my head as they steamrolled the competition. I agree it's all fair game, no question, designers need to continue to max the envelope in whatever way they please. The previous contest definitely shows the vast differences in peoples approach to aesthetics, in regards to both voters and designers and I found that to be one of the most interesting aspects of the whole contest. I've learned a lot from this first run, I'm sort of changing things up from a designing standpoint this time around, yet still design in a manner that's true to myself.

I agree with confidential voting, yet would still want to hear input on the designs from voters. Write ups and discussion without revealing votes prior to results is completely in the realm of possibility I believe, also the voting period would be almost unbearable without it. Discussion is not nearly as cut and dry as votes are. The write ups were my favorite aspect of the competition, I regret not doing any before but would like to this time around.

Edited by Nomrah

I'm sort of changing things up from a designing standpoint this time around, yet still design in a manner that's true to myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wetBGYRJPQ8

I'm not gonna change up a goddamn thing if I submit a bat it's because I made that bat and that bat is became to my contest representative fuck the haters.