Armored Core 5 Discussion

Lenin

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's not a prequel.

The storyline has been redone in such a way as to make it based off of the ACV world's history. Basically, your main storyline missions seem to revolve around figuring out where Armored Cores came from and why the old world was hit with a Super Nuclear Ultra Death Hyper Pile Driver III: Arcade Edition (Great Destruction Style). Armored Cores aren't produced by companies anymore in the same way they were before. They're basically the equivalent of black box style technology. Supposedly, the model types and part types are excavated from the remains of pre-Great Destruction (that's what I'm going to call it) facilities and such. ACs are then built as copies of those excavated models and parts or the original parts are repaired, I'm not 100% sure. I'm thinking it's copies, though.

Anyway, those main storyline missions are the 20 minutes to 1 hour long missions. The ones dealing with the ACV world's background setting and major storyline events concerning the progress of that world. Then there are specialty smaller storyline missions called Order missions. Order missions are basically like older AC missions. They're not exactly Arena fights, they're just short missions that deal with the nitty gritty or small stuff in life (ACV life). Things that don't affect the overall grand storyline, basically.

EDIT: I'll... uh... go ahead and try and update the ACV summary topic with all the new info I can. There's a lot of it, though. Haha.

It does look surprisingly entertaining. If the missions last that long without cutscene padding or other crap that most games use, then I'm all set.

However, if it's gonna be a story driven game, I'm having second thoughts on importing it.

the old world was hit with a Super Nuclear Ultra Death Hyper Pile Driver III: Arcade Edition

I did one of those once.

Armored Cores aren't produced by companies anymore in the same way they were before. They're basically the equivalent of black box style technology. Supposedly, the model types and part types are excavated from the remains of pre-Great Destruction (that's what I'm going to call it) facilities and such. ACs are then built as copies of those excavated models and parts or the original parts are repaired, I'm not 100% sure. I'm thinking it's copies, though.

That seems dumb, as if you can copy and/or repair AC's, then you can probably create your own without much problem. If the tech was so vastly superior then they wouldn't even know how to repair it.

Edited by Duronix

Either way it's pretty cool, I like how the lightweight reverse joint Cleric has video of can jump off buildings and such.

I will want to use an AC like that, so I can say: "WATCH OUT! HERE COMES THE SPIDERMAN!" while I shoot stuff at them.

Apparently, in the same video series, they showed a heavy biped doing the same shit, only not seeing as much returns from the walljump.

Yes, I'm (temporarily) back.

i bet tanks are gonna suck dick like always

sniping might be ridiculous tho. if quads get snipers exculsively, i think that would make htem good enough. snipers can offer so much field support and theyd probably be able to take on anything that isnt lighter than a midweight, including turrets, MTs, heavies, tanks, and other shit, all while being relatively hard to find and out of range for most other weapons.

That seems dumb, as if you can copy and/or repair AC's, then you can probably create your own without much problem. If the tech was so vastly superior then they wouldn't even know how to repair it.

That's not right. That goes against the idea of blackbox technology. Repairing most of the AC should be just fine. Fixing armor plates and replacing broken wires isn't something that takes a genius, but reverse engineering the engines or w/e so that you can apply the technology to other machines (specifically shrinking or enlarging the part) would require a solid grasp of the technology instead of just a blueprint on how to connect x to y. That blackbox stuff means that there are key parts they can't repair easily because they're not sure how they work.

I can make a blueprint for you to build a 2 story house and you can probably do it. I could even make a 2 story house and you could copy it as you tear it down. None of that means you're going to have a solid understanding on how to build houses, though, since you probably would have no idea why I placed the support beams and room layout the way I did. As well as the numerous other things such as pipes and insulation and any methods I use to make the house more stable during storms/quakes, etc. You can copy it, but not clearly understand it. That means you won't be able to apply it properly when making different houses. That doesn't mean you're braindead and don't understand it at all, either.

The other problem, outside of just understanding the technology (be generator or parts or core) is understanding the software. It may be that the software that drives the parts is far too difficult for them to reverse-engineer right now in the storyline. Repairing a machine would be simple in that scenario. Programming would be leagues out of their league, though.

I have no idea why you would think that just cuz the tech is superior that they wouldn't know how to repair it. I'm pretty sure that you can fix holes in your house up pretty good even if you don't know how to build a house. Same with a car. I'm pretty sure you could fix holes in your door without knowing how the engine works. The only parts you'd really have to worry about in an AC would probably be the generator, boosters, and core. Those would probably be where the blackbox tech comes in. The rest you'd probably be able to understand via the blueprints or just reverse-engineering the parts.

Weapons are more complex than houses. The Russians got our F-117 a decade ago, and it's not even clear if they can match the stealth technology in it.

I see where you're coming from Niji, but I don't know if holes in the house is the right analogy. You can just buy the materials to fix the house. You might not know how to even manufacture advanced armor (like that currently used on US and UK tanks, it's classified, and if you got a hold of a tank with a breached turret you probably would never be able to get it working without the manufacturer).

Better example would be Iran's F-14's. They got them with US support before the US relations died. Once that happened the US stopped supporting their F-14 use and Iran had a heck of a time keeping them flying.