Armored Core 5 Discussion

Lenin

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy...

Don't get me wrong... I have nothing against RTS players. They are amazing for the things that they do and watching the pros go at it are definitely something special. I'm not saying they can't handle it... again it is just another skill that they've got to perfect that isn't exactly something they are accustomed to. Hand coordination to use those keyboard shortcuts and macros is a great skill, but matching that with spacial referencing using your eye to aim is a different thing all together. Gunz: The Duel pros have that in spades. :wiggle: lol...

This is the wrong discussion to have in this thread, for sure.

Either way, I can't not leave my own comments since I was a mild Brood War player. The urge to chime in is far too powerful. There is no electronic game in existence I have ever seen that has a competitive scene with the mechanical and mental ability to match BW. Whatever skill potential most games may have, the reality is that the incredibly vast majority of them are tiny in practiced mechanical perfection or grueling training hours required to get that perfection. In practice being key. A games competitive community determines its actual skill requirement, rather than a games potential field of options.

It would be wrong to say RTS is top of the line for mechanical skills, though. It's more of a game by game basis. Quake Live is a very mechanically harsh game, to the point of mind blowing to watch really good players. Just like Brood War, though I would say less than Brood War overall. The amount of mechanical perfection that BW players are forced to work into their system is definitely absurd and widely unknown. Either way, if you were to look at other RTS games and think they were like BW, you'd be sadly mistaken. Most RTS are very simple and dumbed down, like most other games.

The thing is any time you say RTS you basically automatically invoke the name of BW, as it is definitely the king of RTS games. Even if it is worlds apart from nearly every other RTS game.

@RTS: a lot of BW is based on doing a lot of commands to keep you APM up. granted I certainly could not compete. I played Dawn of War II competitively, which throws macro out fo the window and focuses on pure micro, which I personally love. Bu RTS is a gamestyle where speed and efficiency matters above all else, as well as the ability to multitask and think on the fly.

Anyways: I got to fight Type-D. No5 a few times, went from fighting it for real, to seeing just how quickly we could kill him.

One dude went up with a mass blade and just whacked it in the laser cannon, doing massive damage to all of the parts at one time, which landed us every single side mission in one fell swoop.

Edited by ^Slaanesh

Hopefully they make the bosses tougher in a patch or something, they seem to be heading towards Arms Fort level in easiness.

Maybe just a change of location. Type D in the desert area with no tall buildings to hide behind or jump off of would probably make it alot tougher.

If you want challenge, I say we ask them to put in differing difficulty modes. Or perhaps give them better strats. It worked well back in AC2 and Silent Line, when those had differing difficulties.

That aside though, what is everyone's opinion on the game so far? Barring flaws, would you consider it an improvement over AC4 and FA?

Regarding the bosses...

I think it's important to consider that FROM has to balance them for a rather wide swathe of situations. A novice individual playing by themselves or with a similarly skilled friend will likely have a very hard time with the encounters - especially the first few times. By contrast, a team of four highly skilled and highly organized players who have bested the enemies multiple times will find it almost casually easy. Considering talent and know-how, the amount of damage actually dealt by four serious players versus a team of two new or casual players would be well in excess of double, I'd imagine. And the amount of damage taken per capita would probably be less than half.

That's a serious consideration. And unless I'm mistaken, the damage output and armor points of the enemies do not scale depending on the number of players. FROM seems to build these encounters to be accessible to most players - not total newbies, but pretty much everyone else. Perhaps we'll begin to see more difficult scenarios arise as the talent level in general ascends...that would be very interesting.

Makes sense, lower ranked teams and people with non-maximized parts would have more issues with the bosses I suppose.

Also, any of you guys see videos of the Raijin boss? It seems like a really weird fight. At first it is a giant bomber that can't really aim well at all so it goes down quick, then it crashes and opens up to reveal a super laser that seems to one-shot you unless you are behind cover. Also there are a bunch of turrets and things attacking you too. Overall it seems like the weirdest boss of them all.

Regarding the bosses...

I think it's important to consider that FROM has to balance them for a rather wide swathe of situations. A novice individual playing by themselves or with a similarly skilled friend will likely have a very hard time with the encounters - especially the first few times. By contrast, a team of four highly skilled and highly organized players who have bested the enemies multiple times will find it almost casually easy. Considering talent and know-how, the amount of damage actually dealt by four serious players versus a team of two new or casual players would be well in excess of double, I'd imagine. And the amount of damage taken per capita would probably be less than half.

That's a serious consideration. And unless I'm mistaken, the damage output and armor points of the enemies do not scale depending on the number of players. FROM seems to build these encounters to be accessible to most players - not total newbies, but pretty much everyone else. Perhaps we'll begin to see more difficult scenarios arise as the talent level in general ascends...that would be very interesting.

In my opinion they need to take the Demon/Dark Souls approach to the bosses. They should be something that you can only be with true teamwork. They are "extra" missions. There is nothing wrong with extra missions being a challenge. One of the best things about boos battles of varying difficulties that go up to near impossible is the amount of dedication and time the community puts into analyzing the bosses and finding new ways to try to beat it or just do better than they did last time. Gunz: The Duel took this approach with their quests. One of the quests was practically unbeatable for years... people kept working on getting better to push farther and farther into the quest and videos were made each time they got further. Others would take the challenge thinking they could do better. The right to say that you beat something that few others have is something that a lot of players will fight for competitively and I think that is the approach they should take with the bosses.

Taking down the bosses could be a great goal to strive for for newer players. And a boss beating you doesn't really hurt your ego... it is 10 times the size that you are with triple the firepower at least and over four times the AP on EACH part. You sort of expect it to crush you over and over again It just makes you want to get better to say that you took the thing down and I think that would be great for new players. It would build a sense of camaraderie among the newer players causing them to join together in the sense of the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Anyways, again I ask... other than Niji who is already getting it. Would any of the importers like to give my spreadsheet a quick test run, pre-release trial? I need more pairs of eyes trying different things with the spreadsheet to see if any of the info I have in it is blatantly incorrect or if any of the error checking can be bypassed. And by error checking I mean like when you try to equip a hanger weapon without an arm weapon.

Short loading times and loading presentation, I don't even remember seeing a loading screen in CoD, and the main reason why I played LR more than previous games is not only because of gameplay but also because of how long it takes to load up your customization options.

As far as I can tell that's not a big issue with ACV your not stuck staring at a loading screen that long. Helps keep the momentum and excitement up for when you trying to beat a hard boss. If the break in between is too long then the player has time too loose interest and get frustrated. Eventually trading in the game for the newest copy of 2GAY Sports.

I can't really tell with videos because I don't know if they shortened loading times for times sake.

But from those playing the import. Would you say the time is pretty negligible even for loading up that massive Type.D with a full compliment of ACs. And Territory wars with defensive towers loaded up the yin yang.

Just joined the ACU team in ACV. I'll try to donate some exp too when nobody's around/when I'm playing (hey, our timezone hates teamwork).

Edit: Fucking forgot to ask something; I read something about having a limited amount of inventory on your garage. How do you check your available slots for more random stuff?

Edited by Red Shirt (Grayscale)

Go to the shop and look in the top center. That's your remaining garage part slots count. You can buy 50 more slots for 5,000,000Au. Then 50 more slots for 10,000,000Au, etc. You're not locked into a small amount of part slots. You can easily buy 1 of each part in the game with the default 800 part slots.

Google says it is 8am over where you live, where it is 6pm here where I live. I will be awake for the next 12 hours and available after midnight my time. If my time assumption is correct about your current time, I'll be available to play with you from 2pm to 8pm (your time). Idk about everyone else on the team.

Cool, thanks. I could somehow adjust to ACU's average timezone anyway (if time permits it). Now I just need to refit my cannon fodder mech with new weapons. Not to mention a massive clusterfuck bombardment of new parts appeared on the shop list too and finished the rest of my cash. Talk about a HUEG level jump hahah.

We need a King-Allant-sort-of boss fight in ACV too. >: (

Say goodbye to your team level per hit and welcome all the whining from your teammates!

Edited by Red Shirt (Grayscale)

Well if Plasma guns are all like they are in the demo, then to use them well you need to get close enough for the very slow projectile to hit but not so close as to get affected by the AoE.

It seems like it is suited for heavy enemies, but I thought most heavy parts had good EN resistance so idk. They are pretty strong if you hit though, from what I've seen.

Maybe more of a single-player only weapon, lol.

You might have a lot of trouble with a plasma rifle due to the limited range. Might not even work against players with a good sense and control of ranged battle. IIRC the projectiles were just as slow as your generic, disposable battle tanks' cannons, which can be dodged even by just running/walking from it.

I have a quick question for Team ACU. Ok so let's say when I get the NA version of ACV I decide to join your team (which by that time I'm sure there won't be no room left). If Im not mistaken, do all weapons (that team ACU have in the team shop) automatically become available to me? Is there any kind of qualification such as a minimum amount of something exp, team point, level, etc. Now if let's say I join team ACU or even any team that has a high team level and I buy X amount of parts, equip it and let's say later on I split from that team. Do I get to keep those weapon even by not being part of that team anymore? I know you can make a team with a capacity of 20 (4 sub teams of 5), we are planning on making a "Union" (team of 20) of our own but I just want to know how that whole team shop thingy works. Thanks in advance