Armored Core 5 Discussion

Lenin

I'm kind of on two minds as to the region lock.

On the one hand, I'd have loved to have gotten more people to play with. However the language barrier would/could be hard to deal with.

On the other hand, having come from playing FFXI and seeing the general stuck up and overly inflated attitude of most Japanese gamers I've met there, I'm not too sad to see the region lock happen.

Personally I think not letting Xbox and PS3 players play this together is a bigger issue.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason ACFA is dead is because 1- everyone is focused on ACV and 2- because that game sucked big nuts.

I have been playing the AC series since the original came out. I loved it.

When ACFA was announced, I was stoked. After playing AC4 I was hoping it would be something a little...more traditional. As soon as I read about the even faster gameplay, etc. I decided it wasn't even worth bothering about. I think many others had the same idea.

Its going to be a very short lived game, there is such a small fanbase outside of japan. Yes new players will come into the franchise, but nonhardcore fans will leave shortly after.

This is why I'm frustrated at the "marketing" effort made by the publisher. When it comes down to it, this is a multiplayer game. It depends on a large, involved fanbase to be successful for any serious period of time. Yet, as far as I can tell, they haven't made any effort to substantially increase the US fanbase. I mean, we've got like three weeks now.

• As best I can tell, there haven't been any recent major US/EU magazine/gaming site reviews of the "non-beta" working product.
  • There is no US/EU demo.
  • The neat iOS/Android App hasn't been translated and released for the US/EU. Not a big deal, but it's something interesting and a bit different.
  • Unless I'm mistaken, the facebook.com/armoredcore page is run by EJraven Lynx; the guy from ArmoredCoreOnline, not anyone from Namco/Bandai or From.
  • The US ACV page comes up on page 3 of a Google search for "armored core v".
  • As best I can tell, there is nothing on the armoredcore.net or armoredcore.net/acv site that links to the US version.

I mean, come on.

Personally I think not letting Xbox and PS3 players play this together is a bigger issue.

I agree, when you've got a small group it's better not to subdivide them further, but everything I've ever heard about that says that it's pretty much impossible - for any game. Are there titles that allow cross-platform multiplayer?

I don't know how accurate vgChartz is in being able to report sales, but their NA numbers are interesting for AC4.

Edited by xiliquiern

I'm kind of on two minds as to the region lock.

On the one hand, I'd have loved to have gotten more people to play with. However the language barrier would/could be hard to deal with.

On the other hand, having come from playing FFXI and seeing the general stuck up and overly inflated attitude of most Japanese gamers I've met there, I'm not too sad to see the region lock happen.

Urm...There's no such thing as Cross platform between 360 and PS3, well, not officially.

• As best I can tell, there haven't been any recent major US/EU magazine/gaming site reviews of the "non-beta" working product.
  • There is no US/EU demo.
  • The neat iOS/Android App hasn't been translated and released for the US/EU. Not a big deal, but it's something interesting and a bit different.
  • Unless I'm mistaken, the facebook.com/armoredcore page is run by EJraven Lynx; the guy from ArmoredCoreOnline, not anyone from Namco/Bandai or From.
  • The US ACV page comes up on page 3 of a Google search for "armored core v".
  • As best I can tell, there is nothing on the armoredcore.net or armoredcore.net/acv site that links to the US version

• First things first. All the US/EU ACV review is underwraps. They can't release it online till near the release of ACV.
  • Demo never came out in Japan till a WEEK or two before the main release, as I can see, we're on Leap Year so we're still in February.
  • Beg Namco Bandai to localize it and release it, but does it really matter?
  • Meh. I don't think Mechaverse (site formally known as ArmoredCoreOnline) will be going anywhere at all.
  • Namco Bandai left it a bit late with the opening of the site, and quite frankly, doesn't really matter because it is a bit bare compared to the Japanese Armored Core V website
  • It's a Japanese site.

This is why I'm frustrated at the "marketing" effort made by the publisher. When it comes down to it, this is a multiplayer game. It depends on a large, involved fanbase to be successful for any serious period of time.

I respectfully disagree. Being successful does not require a large fanbase at all. It requires enough purchases to continue going as a developer, but for a successful multiplayer all you require is an involved fan base. On the 360 side of things we not only suffer from a small AC fanbase, but we also suffer with the 360 being the off system. Not only that AC has to compete with other very popular/trending multiplayer games. The reason I point this out over just single player games is because single player games typically have an end, while multiplayer games can last forever due to competition. However despite that the 360 fanbase still continues and is at the very least comfortable where it is at and many of those people who still play or had played for a long period of time did feel that it was successful for them.

The involvement still keeps the community alive and that is what is important. As long as a group of friends is still playing than you've succeeded with them. When everyone stops then you've got a problem.

I personally prefer the smaller community. I prefer the sense of camaraderie with others that appreciate the series as there are so few of us compared to other games. In a game of great magnitude like COD, Halo, BF3, and many others I don't feel as much of a sense of camaraderie because those that appreciate the game are in abundance. As the community grows smaller people become more passionate about their appreciation of the game. We feel proud to fully appreciate the game for what it is and feel bad for those who don't see the magic that we do. It is the same for any small group that has gathered around a common interest.

So no matter how much they market the game my appreciation for the game will never falter because I know there will always be others to enjoy the series with. They may be harder to find in the large sea of fish, but I know they are out there. :( Btw, I do have a very optimistic personality so that may also be my reason for being the way I am... lol.

haha FROM just cant seen to get shit right. Maybe their shelf life is over. Maybe we need a new game developer to carry on the armored core legacy. Sometimes I wonder what becomes of hardcore AC fans and if there's ever a possibility they look to start their own line of mech games. Im guessing this kind of game developer would strive to perfect the game since he/she already has passionate feelings towards the mech genre, instead of just pursuing profits like FROM is doing now. Edited by BerserkFury

Hurray, the game cheated me out of my only territory and my second gold plate.

What makes you think the game cheated you out of it? Maybe you just don't truly understand the situation that is going on. It does happen to be in Japanese. I hate when people blame everything else, when their understanding is more than likely the issue. No offense intended towards you. Just wanted to point out that it is entirely possible that you don't understand the requirements of getting your territory's durability refreshed. Perhaps there is a certain period where once it is down to 0 you can't refresh it. It did take you time to figure out the shield system, this may be the same scenario.

haha FROM just cant seen to get shit right. Maybe their shelf life is over. Maybe we need a new game developer to carry on the armored core legacy. Sometimes I wonder what becomes of hardcore AC fans and it there's ever a possibility they look to start their own line of mech games. Im guessing this kind of game developer would strive to perfect the game since he/she already has passionate feelings towards the mech genre, instead of just pursuing profits like FROM is doing now.

Working on a game with any such quality as this requires some sort of passion for game. If you are just doing it to make money, there is very little chance that you will even finish the game. People who work on their games mainly do it because they enjoy it. Sure they have to pay the bills, but we wouldn't get as much quality or attention to detail if they truly weren't trying to improve the game that they work on. Developers miss things and misjudge things... you cannot fault them for that as it happens with everything.

So your telling me when a territories durabiltiy reaches 0 theres nothing you can do for it? So why bother even letting me keep it. Defending a territory always fully replenished the durability before. And I know why I lost the shield.

I will blame whatever the heck I want! :(

Shit, theres going to be no competition in territory wars, SUNN is the largest established AC clan. The only group that can possibly rival us is wolf pack...

Sure it is the largest established clan in late game ACFA. What makes you think that other previously established clans won't come by and give you competition. CQK is a fairly recent group and has always been filled with good players. And why mention wolfpack? Unless you guys are mainly bladers too. And if that is the case then thinking you will have no competition is dumb. :P

Especially since I've got my own group to compete with.

So your telling me when a territories durabiltiy reaches 0 theres nothing you can do for it? So why bother even letting me keep it. Defending a territory always fully replenished the durability before. And I know why I lost the shield.

I will blame whatever the heck I want! :(

I'm not saying that is for sure... I'm just saying that might be the case. I did remember hearing something about a grace period... maybe during this time there is no chance to refill your durability.

Sure it is the largest established clan in late game ACFA. What makes you think that other previously established clans won't come by and give you competition. CQK is a fairly recent group and has always been filled with good players. And why mention wolfpack? Unless you guys are mainly bladers too. And if that is the case then thinking you will have no competition is dumb. :(

Close Quarter Kings died a very long time ago. ICEN wears the emblem but I doubt BigGunna will make a return. Revo has only 3 players, SOO has only 2 members. ACA dissolved. NLL is barely going. Archangels vanished.

And no we don't blade. Wolf pack is just the only clan large enough to rival us. Team Dark Steel maybe, provided GI Joe recruits new members, but at current they have only two members..

Edited by Barilzar

Urm...There's no such thing as Cross platform between 360 and PS3, well, not officially.

This is all very true. But I'd be willing to guess that it is something that could be done, and probably quite easily. But I also know it won't happen.

I'm just saying, for some games like AC that seem to have a smaller community than other games, having the gamers even further divided between consoles isn't going to really help the community.

I'm a bit of an optimist and I'm hoping that the community won't be as small as we think either. There seems to be more mecha games out now, or at least I am more aware of the other games. I'd expect people who like mecha games to hear about this and to try it out.

And don't forget about DeS/DkS either. Until I got Des, I did not know it was the same developer who had made my beloved AC games. I never even heard of other FROM games until fairly recently. I've played AC, and the Souls games, and I have loved the quality of their work. FROM has become a game developer for me to watch now and to potentially snap up their other games. I wouldn't be surprised if other people do this as well.

Shit, theres going to be no competition in territory wars, SUNN is the largest established AC clan. The only group that can possibly rival us is wolf pack...

I don't think I'd count the chickens before they hatch just yet. Never know what surprises will jump out of the woodwork at ya! :(

Close Quarter Kings died a very long time ago. ICEN wears the emblem but I doubt BigGunna will make a return. Revo has only 3 players, SOO has only 2 members. ACA dissolved. NLL is barely going. Archangels vanished.

And no we don't blade. Wolf pack is just the only clan large enough to rival us. Team Dark Steel maybe, provided GI Joe recruits new members, but at current they have only two members..

I did say recent enough for CQK. Gunna might return. We'll see. As far as all the other groups most don't spark any sense of recognition.

And assuming that the only people that could rival you are clans of ACFA is dumb. Again I've got my own group being setup. Mostly new guys, but a couple of people I have played tons of AC with. And a clan doesn't need to be large to be competition. They just have to have enough people that can put up a good fight and cover for any mercenary slack. Also many people who used to play and do have skills will be picking the game up.

Who are the notable members of your group? I'm curious if I know any of them.

LastNineBreaker, BigBoss, Barrettiel, The Durzo Blint, EFxSinanju

BigBoss might leave and join a clan with Bigz

BigBoss is the only one that sounds remotely familiar. What were his previous gamertags? I was expecting something more along the lines of seeing names like Sight Lock, Medler, etc. and several other quality vets. Damn all the damn new peepz. lol... were any of you good at AC4?

BigBoss is the only one that sounds remotely familiar. What were his previous gamertags? I was expecting something more along the lines of seeing names like Sight Lock, Medler, etc. and several other quality vets. Damn all the damn new peepz. lol... were any of you good at AC4?

Bigboss was Lucifer. I don't know Durzo's previous GT. I was Lich back in the day, but I didn't hang out much on AC4.

Most of us are post AC4.

Bigboss was Lucifer. I don't know Durzo's previous GT. I was Lich back in the day, but I didn't hang out much on AC4.

Most of us are post AC4.

lol... I know Lucifer-ish. I got a bunch of hatemail from him talking trash often saying that I sucked at AC4. Strange cuz I've only ever really fought him once. Oh well...

As for most of you guys being post AC4... ACFA was a cake walk when it comes to skill required to play on a decent competitive level. Energy management is a foreign concept to a lot of ACFA players because it is given to you like rain in Florida. And with tons of energy comes much easier positioning so those who have only played ACFA will more than likely have to heavily improve their positioning game and start learning what consequences are for positioning. The abundance of energy in ACFA meant little consequence to putting yourself where you want.

Have you guys played the demo or beta at all. And if the demo, did you join the few of us that played the online? And being that you guys are post-AC4 were any of you pre-AC4?

I'm not doubting any of your abilities, just pointing out the general populace and how they are going to have to adjust. ACV is a whole new world folks. :(

lol... I know Lucifer-ish. I got a bunch of hatemail from him talking trash often saying that I sucked at AC4. Strange cuz I've only ever really fought him once. Oh well...

As for most of you guys being post AC4... ACFA was a cake walk when it comes to skill required to play on a decent competitive level. Energy management is a foreign concept to a lot of ACFA players because it is given to you like rain in Florida. And with tons of energy comes much easier positioning so those who have only played ACFA will more than likely have to heavily improve their positioning game and start learning what consequences are for positioning. The abundance of energy in ACFA meant little consequence to putting yourself where you want.

Have you guys played the demo or beta at all. And if the demo, did you join the few of us that played the online? And being that you guys are post-AC4 were any of you pre-AC4?

I'm not doubting any of your abilities, just pointing out the general populace and how they are going to have to adjust. ACV is a whole new world folks. :(

We ranked 7 on one territory and 109 on the other. We were team hardees with sightlock and players from Revo. Given one more day we would have had been in the top 3 on the one territory.

Edited by Barilzar

We ranked 7 on one territory and 109 on the other. We were team hardees with sightlock and players from Revo. Given one more day we would have had been in the top 3 on the one territory.

Not bad... we'll I look forward to seeing you guys in ACV. Like Katya said... I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch bro. :(

Hot dammit people get a grip. I swear you guys worry to damn much. You'll have enough teams and people to play with. The NA server is shared with the EU. AC has never been a AAA title so don't get stupid and sit there thinking that sales will depict the amount of players per console. Yeah new commers will jump in but us old vets will be buying the game too, From never been the type of company to cancel a game especially AC just because of poor sales, there's passion in that company. Look at tenchu, shit they still recently released a PSP version despite the series being dead. If this was Activition owning Fromsoftware, then hell yeah AC would've been discontinued back in AC1. Word of mouth will sale this game even more than what Namco B is doing advertising it. People will catch on how in depth and good this game is. I have like 3-4 friends that never played an AC game in their lives telling me how cool this game is and that their buying it. If and when the reviews start popping up I'm pretty sure it's going to be like Demon Souls...Crazy good out of no where. For all you End of the World pessimist that think there won't be no one to play with, how about you just don't get the game that way your life is just a little less worry free...Gosh(Napoleon Dynamite).

Hot dammit people get a grip. I swear you guys worry to damn much. You'll have enough teams and people to play with. The NA server is shared with the EU. AC has never been a AAA title so don't get stupid and sit there thinking that sales will depict the amount of players per console. Yeah new commers will jump in but us old vets will be buying the game too, From never been the type of company to cancel a game especially AC just because of poor sales, there's passion in that company. Look at tenchu, shit they still recently released a PSP version despite the series being dead. If this was Activition owning Fromsoftware, then hell yeah AC would've been discontinued back in AC1. Word of mouth will sale this game even more than what Namco B is doing advertising it. People will catch on how in depth and good this game is. I have like 3-4 friends that never played an AC game in their lives telling me how cool this game is and that their buying it. If and when the reviews start popping up I'm pretty sure it's going to be like Demon Souls...Crazy good out of no where. For all you End of the World pessimist that think there won't be no one to play with, how about you just don't get the game that way your life is just a little less worry free...Gosh(Napoleon Dynamite).

um there is only like 6 EU players on 360 side...

also people like less in depth games. look at how well COD is doing...

Edited by Barilzar