Dark Souls

Magnus

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I lost my body two days ago because my ten year old cousin was playing on my account while I was working. After a bunch of Kiln PvP, I am up to 74 humes and 2.5 million souls. I love you, Lloyd's Talisman. Forever fifth slot.

By the way, is it just me, or whenever I invade as a Red Phantom and cast HCSM, it tries to attack me? I love HCSM but this is useless.

You should honestly just think about soul arrow or multiple soul arrows. It's a better spell.

I actually replaced it with Great Soul Arrow yesterday. This makes me sad. :-/

What's good about Soul Arrow?

I've done it all except Kiln, so we can try camping there. Though, I had no success earlier today (zero invasions).

What? I keep have tons of invasions and get invaded quite often. A lot of blues too. I am seriously considering to just die to one so I can stop getting invaded by them. I don't even think I am getting reprisals.

If you want, I can lay down a Red Soap.

Edited by Honest Frank

I could camp with you there for straight up duels, but I feel nasty doing kiln to 2v1 people.

When I say soul arrow I'm talking about the strongest one-- great crystal soul arrow or whatever it's called.

Edited by TMRaven

Man, I lost my body two days ago because my ten year old cousin was playing on my account while I was working. After a bunch of Kiln PvP, I am up to 74 humes and 2.5 million souls. I love you, Lloyd's Talisman. Forever fifth slot.

By the way, is it just me, or whenever I invade as a Red Phantom and cast HCSM, it tries to attack me? I love HCSM but this is useless.

Dude that happened to Mike every time he invaded me for our duels, haha. It was hilarious. They just shot out into the great unknown.

What? I keep have tons of invasions and get invaded quite often. A lot of blues too. I am seriously considering to just die to one so I can stop getting invaded by them. I don't even think I am getting reprisals.

If you want, I can lay down a Red Soap.

Oops, I missed your post before, sorry. Yeah it was wierd, because when I got to Kiln for the first time it was invasion central. I could not even farm the third knight before invasion. Luckily when I teamed up with TM invaders started showing.

On HCSM, I prefer CSS, but if you're going to use soulmass, I think you should try taking advantage of its blind spots. Release lock on and look away from the other guy. When you want to attack turn to him at a controlled pace. You can get the 5 orbs to fire sequentially instead of simultaneously, or only fire a couple and save the others when the guy finishes his roll. Either that or use them with some other spell and stagger cast them.

Also, I started messing with CMW now that I have made a Raw+5 and Normal+15. Normal had more power enchanted or not even with my terrible STR and DEX, but the big surprise was that neither could outdamage my Enchanted Longsword.

Attack:

Enchant ~450

CMW +15 ~550

CMW +15 (Tin Crystal) ~600-650

Yet they all did about the same damage to the Black Knights in Kiln. Is this right?

Edited by Exorcet

Don't enchant weapons stagger less than others generally?

Sorry for unrelated, but take into account those BK's are tougher than all the others, so it would make sense that kiln would be shitty for magic dmg. Also, if you look at BK armor, it has decent defense towards magic, idk if this advances the defense of the mobs past what is normally there though, all I know is that lightning hits hard against them and fire not so much.

Oops, I missed your post before, sorry. Yeah it was wierd, because when I got to Kiln for the first time it was invasion central. I could not even farm the third knight before invasion. Luckily when I teamed up with TM invaders started showing.

On HCSM, I prefer CSS, but if you're going to use soulmass, I think you should try taking advantage of its blind spots. Release lock on and look away from the other guy. When you want to attack turn to him at a controlled pace. You can get the 5 orbs to fire sequentially instead of simultaneously, or only fire a couple and save the others when the guy finishes his roll. Either that or use them with some other spell and stagger cast them.

Also, I started messing with CMW now that I have made a Raw+5 and Normal+15. Normal had more power enchanted or not even with my terrible STR and DEX, but the big surprise was that neither could outdamage my Enchanted Longsword.

Attack:

Enchant ~450

CMW +15 ~550

CMW +15 (Tin Crystal) ~600-650

Yet they all did about the same damage to the Black Knights in Kiln. Is this right?

You have to look at it as seperate damages on your weapons; combined damage is a completely meaningless stat.

I get good results with hcsm. Which is to say I get mileage out of it, but it's worth noting I cast it frequently and I have 2 slots worth just in case. I've never run out in a fight, but still, I have the luxury of spamming it.

The Black Knight Set is weak to lightning, normal to magic, and strong against fire. I'm not sure if this applies to the actual Black Knights, though.

@16/14/50 (which is prolly kinda close to what you're using?), one-handed:

enchanted longsword +5 150/301

raw longsword +5 218

normal longsword +15 255

CMW gets 236 from logan, 293 from TCC, which means +330.4 atk and +410.2 atk respectively.

So with CMW the buffed weapons should have done more. Are you sure about what phase you were hitting in?

I don't think enchanted weapons stun less. I got roughly the same results from all of the following:

Claymore +15

Claymore +15 with dmb

Moonlight +5

Chaos Flamberge +5

Enchanted Claymore +5

Occult Claymore +5

Edited by Penguin Deus

I know how HCSM works. It is one of my favorite spells. But when try invading with the Red Orb or Red Soap, sometimes when I cast it, It will auto attack on myself immediately. As in, it will treat me as a target (firing inward), not my opponent (firing outward). That's what bugs me. Luckily, it does not deal damage to me. Otherwise, I'd be REALLY pissed. It works fine when I host or use the white soap. I had not tried forest invasions or blue orb yet though.

Edited by Honest Frank

Yea this happens to me all the time in forest when I'm hosting and it's happened to me in kiln. Also firing prematurely (hur hur), when the guy is no where near enough to set them off but near enough for a lock on.

I'm pretty sure it's lag related, like both parties not being where they actually are on screen and the game (or spell) is not be able to handle it and freaks out.

This is my new favorite setup:

Right: Chaos Blade +5, Silver Spear +5 or Pharis Bow +14 with Poison Arrows

Left: Quelaag's Furysword +4, Pyro Hand +20

Spells: Great Combustion, Great Fireball, Fire Tempest

Armor: Hollow Warrior Helm +6, Hollow Soldier Armor +6, Giant Gauntlet +5, Hollow Soldier Waistcloth +6

I actually got two friend requests at Kiln after dueling with this setup yesterday. All of us eventually got tired of Kiln PvP so we went to Painted to brawl it out. Fun times!

It only takes two shots from the poison arrow to poison someone.

Quelaag's Furysword has an awesome parry animation that I really dig.

I am really digging this build.

Edited by Honest Frank

What do you mean by phase? I made sure there was plenty of time left after I cast to finish them without the spell running out. I also did a few runs through Kiln to make sure, and I tried 1H, 2H, and BS. Maybe I'll test it on some different enemies elsewhere.

For reference my STR is 11 and DEX is 12, INT is 50. I know that combined damage is a misleading number, but the weapons were all the same type (Longsword) and the Raw/+15 had higher attack (or at worst not much lower magic) in both damage types as you said.

I've never had issues like that with soulmass, strange. Firing out of range I can see due to lag (thankfully it's not like DS1 where it would fire out of range even without lag), but the firing inward thing I've never seen.

What do you mean by phase? I made sure there was plenty of time left after I cast to finish them without the spell running out. I also did a few runs through Kiln to make sure, and I tried 1H, 2H, and BS. Maybe I'll test it on some different enemies elsewhere.

phase as in where in their animation are you hitting them. The game treats hitting people at different points in their attack animations differently. Like if they were blocking, or just eating a hit, or if you hit from behind, where u directly trading a hit, were they bouncing off your shield, etc.

lol I've had it fire with noone in eyesight, like me standing next to elevator at Anor Lando and they are inside the palace, and it just goes off.

No, the same has happened to me. I was just saying that it happens whether you're hosting or invading, and it's also happened where I am nowhere near the enemy but it goes off anyway.

I got summoned by tm yesterday and I saw him flipping around for no reason. I found later that he was fighting an invader. It happened twice too. So wack. Invisible invaders are weird.