Dark Souls

Magnus

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shit.

Got the 360 version today. The level of quality far and away surpasses the PS3 version. I'm actually enjoying the game now instead of locking up every while. There's actually anti-aliasing, the texture quality is much higher, the AUDIO quality on backstabs and ripostes doesn't sound grindy, bloom is lower so you can actually see the textures in the light, there isn't MASSIVE framerate issues (but still some when there is a LOT going on).

It's crazy. This is the one time I wanted a PS3 version to be better than Xbox and FROM is like "NOAP"

It's pretty common knowledge that PS3 has better audio interface than 360. I'm not even trying to be a remote fanboy on this one.

I can't comment on texture and lighting differences as I've never compared the two face-to-face, but no review has ever made a mention of it.

And even if the 360 version did sound better I doubt it would be a big enough difference to make the ps3 version annoying to listen to.

Either way it is a beautiful game. A big upgrade from Demon's Souls.

To Sen's Fortress...AWAAAAYYYY!!

Edited by Rachis

I have no doubt the both render the game differently with different graphic languages, but reviews would have brought differences up in reviews, like how everybody made public the differences between xbox and ps3 red dead redemption.

Your boy is 26 hours into Dark Souls, and only started now venturing into the Depths. Yay for idle time!

Edited by TMRaven

Specifically the audio quality of the riposte and backstab. Both are absolute shit, they sound nothing like blood splatter! 360 version, actually sounds like blood and stabbing. And, I won't deny the framerate issues persist across console, because you CANNOT look at wasps in Blighttown no matter what.

But enough about that!

I'm only about SL 30, but I've made my way through Blighttown, found some Tattered Robes (thank god for poison resist), and found a shitty wooden plank shield. And behind it was a secret treasure chest with some cool titanite. And behind that was The Great Hollow. Fought a bunch of those curse lizards but purple versions, but I'd also collected Seer's robes while in Blighttown so I wasn't worried until I came across little mushroom people and they were tripping over themselves, it was pretty adorable until one tripped on me and destroyed half my health. And after about twenty minutes of climbing downwards on nothing but vines, I find giant mushroom people who just don't care if I was blocking or not, leading to another twenty minutes of climbing and me running past those fuckers.

And then I stepped outside of this massive, hollow tree and saw a world with no horizon, and trees bigger than cities reaching into a dark cloud filled sky which was in reality the very land the world was built on. Beneath my boots, crisp white ash piled like sand in a seemingly bottomless lake.

Except the lake had a Basilisk in it. So, I was mostly running from it instead of enjoying the view.

Finally I had turned the corner and found this big block of a texture, but with a bonfire in front of it. So I think the Basilisk will rape me either way, so I go ahead and light up to level some when these huge wings peel back and I find the Everlasting Dragon, who offers me a pact, Dragon Scales for Power. So I'm like "Fuck yeah."

Now I have the ability to change into a dragon. A humanoid shortish one, but the firebreath is so powerful. I just can't wear a helm with the transformation active, and you can't revert it without dying. And I can invade people who have Dragon Scales, and steal them away from people.

Oh yeah and I picked up a whip, fun shit.

I watched all the comparison vids Obscure, and honestly I just can't see the differences you speak of. It don't really matter though. Once I get enough funds, I'm definitely getting this game.

Seeing that giantess princess really made me want this game now. You don't see that too often in vidya.

I've only seen one, and it does look like the 360 version has a different ground texture in certain areas-- higher resolution or not, but other than that it's hard to tell the lighting/shading and/or anti-aliasing. Both were different brightness settings as well it looked like. I'd be interested to know what makes you an expert in the fidelity of huge blood splatter, maybe you work in a butcher shop or something. I think the best way to compare would get an hd capture device and take specific screenshots of places from the same angle like people did with red dead.

I got my copy on Friday. Walked into Gamestop, didn't see any on the shelves, was about to leave, then the lady behind the counter asked if she could help me. I asked if they had Dark Souls for PS3, she said, yeah, and then couldn't find one either. Then she found a collector's edition in the preorder case behind the counter and called her supervisor to see if she could sell me that one, and to my astonishment he apparently said yes.

He understands what DS games are about. The journey of a thousand trollings begins with a single...something.

The game is absolutely amazing. It looks to be like four or five times the size of Demon's Souls, and it's significantly harder too; for a game as huge and difficult as Demon's Souls, that's saying a lot. It's so huge and so awesome that I'm willing to forgive it its two massive flaws of fucked target toggling and random server assignment.

I'm level 23 now I think. Upgraded a longsword to +5 before I got the Drake Sword, so it was only a slight improvement. Alternating between trying the second section of Darkroot Garden (where you climb the ladder back up from the Basin), the bottom area of the Undead city thing, and Valley of the Drakes.

Those Drakes would be a real pain if they weren't constantly wigging out and jumping off cliffs to their deaths.

I'm in the same situation noobs in as I'm SL 68. I did get summoned though in Anor Lando and he summoned someone else so there was 3 of us. There are so many black nights there I can't wait to make that run on my own. I made a pact with Nito the Gravelord and gave me his sword which does 255 and 300 posion damage and he gave me the miracle gravelord sword dance which I upgraded to gravelord greatsword dance and its amazing. It killed 4 black knights in one hit while I was summoned by that guy. I wish there was a way to replenish spells/miracles other than the bonfire so I could use that miracle more often. Edited by Kaleidoscope

im in the dukes archives

all the crystal minions there are hardcore dicks because they have high attack and defense and theres archers everywhere. its one of the few places where i feel like i have to use a shield

then after that i still have to go through that hell-area under queelags domain and then i still have to go through the tomb of the giants.

im clocked at 45 hours atm with only 1-2 hours of idle time. ill probably finish the game in another solid 10-15 hours, hopefully.

four kings boss was hilarious. its really hard until you find out that you can literally tank all of their attacks if your defense is over 340. you literally bumrush them with a 2h weapon and damage race,

matt did you find the secret fireplace area in anor londo? you get havels armor and stuff, which has the highest defense in the game. the head, chest, and arms are all like 50def and hte chestpiece is 97 or something. you dont even need to roll because defense and poise are so high. dragon tooth has mad range too. fun stuff

The numbers the big axes/hammers put up do look quite impressive. I really am liking the versatility and combo ability of the straight swords though. I didn't like them so much in Demon's Souls, but I feel like the move set works better for this game since it plays slower and requires more dedication to your actions.

I just haven't figured out what I'm really going to want to run yet though.

Edited by Rachis

He jumped off for me too. Supposedly he drops his axe, but there's so many oversized weapons in this game that you won't miss it at all.

What's even better is I had the red dragon randomly die on me as well. I wasn't even anywhere close to him-- in fact I was walking through undead Burg, and all of a sudden I hear him roaring in a distance then I get 10,000 souls.

Edited by TMRaven

I don't really care about the numbers. This file is supposed to use whatever the biggest club/hammer type weapon there is in the game in honor of my best buddy the Bramd.

So basically any dragon you can face can merc itself, huh? Hydra, Hellkite, and like all the dragons in Valley of the Drakes seem to love auto-mercing. And Taurus it would seem.

Yeah you can always get it next time if you missed it. There's tons of missable stuff this time compared to demon. Hell a ton of spells can only be used if you're in the right covenant.

By the way, I've been seeing tons of signs over the weekend. This was in Blighttown, both bonfires; the climb down and the swamp itself.

Man, I have fallen so far behind. I'm just to the depths. Rolled over capra demon with two phantoms again. I think that will be my strategy throughout this game. Just chill in front of white light until I see some signs.

Butcher had a hard time figuring out how to climb up the stairs where I was so I just kept shooting him in the head with arrows. Then he finally came up and I realized that he was a pushover.